OTF blade mechanism in the works.

Ok update, got the blades to work, manually, perfectly! Nice and smooth now. Going to 3Dprint a block for the blades to screw on to so its lighter than the wood I have it on. As of right now I'm working on the pull string system. The design is printed but I'm trying to get a short and strong enough spring to retract the string back to neutral position (needs to fit in a 2mm square slot and needs a little strength as I'm using coated picture wire.) After that I'm done! I figured I can change the design and make something like Petes and it would be no problem, but, I'm trying to keep the mechanism very thin and low profile. Right now it's 10-12 mm tall in total. I want it to fit in any style gauntlet. :) If the picture wire doesn't work I'll go back to string.

So I got the mech to work and have the string setup,
image.jpg
But the tension on the string is way to high. It's almost to hard to pull. When you rotate the mech by itself to launch or retract, it only needs a little bit of movement. When I add the string it's to hard. :-/ I'll get it eventually!

Just wanted everyone to see that it works. I'm turning the mech with a screw driver because I don't want a gear on bottom. Here is where the arm will sit so it has to be internal.

From what I read we can change the torque by making the gear bigger for the string. So I've been adjusting in cad and will hopefully get a working string soon haha. I'm also editing to make the moving parts lighter so I can use a lighter spring that will be easier on the string pull.
image.jpg

We'll keep trying! To bad Pete couldn't chime in :p.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for a print and my frustration to calm down, I designed this in about 30minutes. (Wolf mine coming soon!)
image.jpg

Just going to make the shell a little bit thicker for some room to carve the dimples into the shell.

Just wanted everyone to see that it works. I'm turning the mech with a screw driver because I don't want a gear on bottom. Here is where the arm will sit so it has to be internal.

From what I read we can change the torque by making the gear bigger for the string. So I've been adjusting in cad and will hopefully get a working string soon haha. I'm also editing to make the moving parts lighter so I can use a lighter spring that will be easier on the string pull.
View attachment 266817
We'll keep trying! To bad Pete couldn't chime in :p.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for a print and my frustration to calm down, I designed this in about 30minutes. (Wolf mine coming soon!)
View attachment 266818
Just going to make the shell a little bit thicker for some room to carve the dimples into the shell.
One of the best mechs i see. Love it. :cool:

Thanks man! :) I wish I had access to more style springs, Spring steel, etc. I'm limited to the ones the hardware store has and its hard to get it to balance. But you guys give me motivation to finish it :)

Thanks man! :) I wish I had access to more style springs, Spring steel, etc. I'm limited to the ones the hardware store has and its hard to get it to balance. But you guys give me motivation to finish it :)
Its good, if its good))) Do you plan to sale your stl of mech and wolf mine?

Its good, if its good))) Do you plan to sale your stl of mech and wolf mine?
Yeah I plan to list them on shapeways for a decent price :) maybe one option will be a package deal. I'm going to design his vial of blue goo and whip most likely. His plasma cannon will be the last challenge.

Love your work!! Also I'm excited to hear about the whip, how would you make that? Would it be simply for show (meaning it cant unravel or actively move) or would you make it interactive?

Love your work!! Also I'm excited to hear about the whip, how would you make that? Would it be simply for show (meaning it cant unravel or actively move) or would you make it interactive?
I plan to use a standard black whip you can buy at the costume store and then add slip on alien tail spikes to the whip like the move. Maybe even a handle shell. So it would definitely work :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back