OT: 3D Printer -- IT'S RUNNING!!! -- Video Page 2

Re: OT: 3D Printer -- Under Construction -- Plastruder

Ooohh... I also want to see how this turns out- Looks like fun to build, at the very least!

Very cool! I'll be curious to see your first prints. Are you going to use a heated bed?

I've been following the RepRap community for a few years and started building my own printer/CNC some time ago- MultiBot

Very cool! I'll be curious to see your first prints. Are you going to use a heated bed?

We have the heated build platform, but I'm not sure we're using it. I'm more interested in making sure we have a working printer... adding the heated bed will just be icing if everything else works! :)

Re: OT: 3D Printer -- Under Construction -- Electronics

Tonight we worked on wiring up the electronics....

5843833059_795fcf9c7d.jpg

We've got the Z-axis motors, the plastruder motor, the heat core & thermostat as well as all three end-stop switches wired to the control board.

We will finish up the wiring tomorrow morning. X and Y motors will be easy. After that, we'll have to figure out how to connect the printer to the 500watt power supply it came with and see if it works... or blows up. :confused

I've been using a reprap derivative for a few months now (specifically the Isaac variant)
And loving it.

You'll go through some growing pains getting used to using the printer, especially figuring out skeinforge (if that is what you are using for your g-code generating)

But once you get things nailed down you will love having one of these.
The community of reprap is without a doubt the best part. Anytime i've had a problem I hop on the forums or on their irc channel, and get almost immediate help, it is really awesome to have such a good community to rely on.

Sorry for the delay in getting an update on this project...

We got the printer up and running while I was in Florida this weekend. We printed out a few test pieces (for calibration). The first one was pretty bad, the second one was MUCH better and the third one was great. I'm sure we'll have some additional growing pains and calibration issues, but for now we're celebrating a successful build and a wonderful vacation!

Here's a little video of the machine printing...

We've stopped each print so far after 4-5 layers as we're just trying to calibrate the machine.

I was going to be posting a picture tonight (it takes around an hour to print a basic piece -- like a can opener, light switch cover, etc); however, we're suffering through a city-wide power outage right now due to a freak wind/rain storm. We also lost at two trees in the backyard and had a fun hour spending 'family time' in the bathroom with the kids in the tub. :confused

The worst part of the whole crazy power outage crap is that (due to the rain/humidity), I can also not paint any of Mikey's Ironman armor. (n)thumbsdown

I hate unproductive nights! :angry ...grrrr

Awesome!! what type of file is required for printing?

Standard STL file. So, we're currently bringing CAD 3D objects in STL format into Skeinforge (which slices the object into printable layers and generates the G-code needed for the printer). We then upload that G-code into RepSnapper (which controls the printer's circuit board). Then we push 'print'.... which starts the magic! :)

Depressingly, power is still out at our place (probably won't be back on for another 24 hours), so I'm extremely frustrated that I can't do any additional building (or printing). :unsure

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back