Original stormtrooper suit auctioned at Christies

Someone obviously wanted this badly!

I never thought it would reach as much as it did. I bet the owner is kicking himself for giving the other suit away (and it was the better suit IMO).

Make no mistake that 2nd suit is significantly better that this - not least as it had the ANH/ESB helmet.

Personally-speaking I'm a little surprised it topped the £200k mark but as Mic has said, you only need 2 people in the room that REALLY want it (oh and have the funds to match :lol)

However I was pretty convinced that it was probably THE only ESB Mk2 suit that was used in the movie. It seems clear that most of the leftovers from ANH were adequate for ESB shooting, except for a few final Bespin scenes where additional parts were required. As per my preview of this, it seemed clear to me that this was a suit made from leftover ANH parts and newly vac-formed (ESB Mk2) parts that John Mollo's team had to hastily put together in time for filming. After the work I did a couple of years ago with Mr Mollo, plus some subsequent investigations - it seemed a very good bet that this was the real deal.

I'm pleased for the seller that it went for such a significant amount and am sure that the 2 bidders who drove it to that price were absolutely clear on what they were doing. I didnt have that final bit of photographic proof that would have made it 100%, but maybe they did ;)

As far as Christies estimate, I think following the problems last year with the Vader suit they really wanted to make sure they did this sale exactly by the book. So I was pleased that they contacted me and we were able to ensure this suit was presented as accurately as possible, while also generating some good publicity for the auction. It looks like it was pretty successful process.

Cheers

Jez

On a good day at Christies can you imagine what a full ANH suit including helmet would go for?

It just goes to show the interest in screen used SW props in still on the UP.

Cheers Chris

it seemed clear to me that this was a suit made from leftover ANH parts and newly vac-formed (ESB Mk2) parts that John Mollo's team had to hastily put together in time for filming.
I wonder if Mollo initially went back to Ainsworth to see if he still had molds from 3 years earlier that he could pull new sets from...and he didn't. (Just speculation) It's just interesting that he recast existing pieces when he knew the guy who pulled the first ones was down the street. (Putting aside recent issues with the guy, of course.)

They only needed Ainsworth for the original because they couldn't vac form them themselves. Maybe the props department had the ability to by the time of Empire and didn't see the reason to outsource this time as it would cost more. Just a guess.

Ben

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back