Original Colonial Viper helmet

Tildane

I'm having a bash at one of my favorite helmets from my child hood. Battlestar Galactica was my go to TV while waiting three years for the next Star Wars. I loved the costumes and ships, still do! So I am attempting the classic Colonial Viper Helmet with it's Egyptian stylings. WP_20161121_001[1].jpgWP_20161121_002[1].jpgWP_20161121_003[1].jpgWP_20161121_004[1].jpgI've been using a 3D program to cut a model apart and give me sections that I've reproduced in MDF. Using layers it's gradually coming together. I've never done it this way before so just for that reason it's a worthwhile project to me.

Wooden former completed. Lots of strips of bendy skin ply.WP_20161121_006[1].jpgWP_20161121_007[1].jpg I used forms created by chopping up a 3d model and then cutting them out and layering them to the right heights.

Next stage is the car putty stage. Lots of sanding and filling. Doh!WP_20161122_002[1].jpgWP_20161122_001[1].jpg

My first undercoat to see all the bumps and valleys. Not looking too bad. I've yet to put all the detail on the helmet like stripes and rectangular holes around the bottom and back. That will slow me down. WP_20161125_001[1].jpgWP_20161125_003[1].jpgWP_20161125_004[1].jpgWP_20161125_005[1].jpg

The horizontal stripes/ridges on the spots left and right are off the shelf plastruct. Cant remember the size.

WP_20161206_002.jpgWP_20161206_001.jpgWP_20161206_001.jpgGetting to the finer details now. I'm working slightly backwards. I get too excited and jump ahead and then have to go back and make something else work. So far so good.

Your Colonial Viper helmet is looking great, look forward to seeing this finished, would you think about selling casts of the lid.... ive always wanted one :D

My friend, I am beyond selling these for a profit. I am a simple man and now look forward to just gathering helmets. So my plan is to make them and ask for the price of... say A Kylo Ren Black series helmet, or the like (Stormtrooper... and maybe even a Cylon helmet.....!). So yes I will sell them but not at an extortionate price. I will also try them on Ebay to see what I could get. Of course, if there is anyone out there wanting to pay a couple of thousand for one then I would not say no. I'm also saving for a 3d Printer.

I would love to buy one of these :D,your doing an amazing job :thumbsup, are you also making the crest on the front of the helmet?

Last edited:
Has anyone attempted to create a clear visor for the Viper Helmet? I know the original producers nix it because of blue screen reflection issues, but this isn't for a film. I think it could look really cool updated.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back