Original 1977 ANH Stormtrooper Armor and Helmet

SiMan,

Welcome to the RPF!

You are very lucky to own such a fabulous piece of movie history!

Please, consult some of the knowledgeable people about this before going ahead with any restoration work.

Personally, I wouldn't clean any of it up. I would just leave it the way it is and view it as part of this piece's history.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about this when and if you are willing to share.:thumbsup

SiMan,

Welcome to the RPF!

You are very lucky to own such a fabulous piece of movie history!

Please, consult some of the knowledgeable people about this before going ahead with any restoration work.

Personally, I wouldn't clean any of it up. I would just leave it the way it is and view it as part of this piece's history.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about this when and if you are willing to share.:thumbsup

I simply want it back to the way it was, any restoration I do will be a general clean of the exterior and removal of the black paint from the arms (which i painted on it when I was about 12)
the rest of the ab section will be left.

Believe me I'm kicking myself already with what I've done to it over the years!

I simply want it back to the way it was, any restoration I do will be a general clean of the exterior and removal of the black paint from the arms (which i painted on it when I was about 12)
the rest of the ab section will be left.

Believe me I'm kicking myself already with what I've done to it over the years!

Don't kick yourself, it is still an outstanding set.

Also, kicking yourself could hurt.:lol

Welcome to the RPF Simon .
I think you need to go `round and bug your Mum `tilll you find those pics. :)
Weve screen identified several parts of the suit , but the helmet is the cherry on top ... a good i.d. of it could just seal the suits value.
However, Id leave any more restoration to the experts .
Cheers
Rob

By the way , someone erlier in this thread was asking about giving the suit a name, you know, like the Brian R helmet etc ...
Well, how about "the Si-man Suit ? "
Any thoughts folks ?

Last edited:
Hey it's awsome that your now Here on the RPF. Welcome and thanks for sharing the suit with us. I really hope you find the photos of the helmet before you stripped it. Don't be too hard on yourself though as at least you didn't just totally discard the whole suit. Plus it's awsome that we get to see what the helmets looked like unpainted and disassembled. Again thanks for sharing. :cool

Take care,
Ben

Thank-you for joining us...it is a privilege for us to learn more about this amazing suit. Well if it is any consolation, you have a unique helmet in that it seems to be the only original one that we can see in its raw form, which I am sure many here can appreciate. But I'm sure it was a beauty before...we'll never forgive you for that. :lol (joke)

Troopermaster is a machine....it is great to see that kind of dedication.

That was me on the first page.......also a simon.....Definately call it the Simon suit. Got a great ring to it. The Dave M , The Brian R and of course the ultimate "simon" suit.

Welcome....and definately bug your parents for that pic.

cool name dude...........Simon.

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum :)

I personally wouldn't do any more work on it apart from trying to remove the black paint (and even then I would be reluctant).

If you are to do any work at all I would genuinely advise you to get it done by an expert as it would be a real shame if anything got damaged.

Oh and don't beat yourself up about removing the paint from the helmet - you aren't the first to do it and probably won't be the last. The Propstore of London has one that has had the paint removed as well.

It is a great piece thanks for sharing the photographs it is much appreciated as most things like this get sold to private collectors never to be seen again.

If you need any help or reference feel free to PM me and you will find the board members are very helpful.

If you ever decide to repaint the helmet if you find pictures of the original and it can be matched to screen I would suggest you speak to board member 'Keith' he is a bit of a wizard when it comes to these things.

Good luck with your suit and helmet.

Cheers Chris

Welcome to the forum. It's a cool suit and cool info. Depending on whether the black paint is acrylic or enamel (water based or oil based) determines how you can remove it. Personally, I'd just leave it as is. It is part of the armor's history now and any restoration is a devaluing step - not so much in perhaps monetary value, but definitely historic value.

Must be cool to have had a real authentic stormtrooper armor from the age of 12 or before. Would be interesting to hear the whole story.

Welcome to the RPF Simon :thumbsup

You have, what is in my opinion as a die-hard Old-Skool Star Wars nut, the best screen-used Star Wars prop of anyone here!

I'm in two minds as to repaint the helmet, if you do go this route I would really like to see it done with the rough and ready imperfect look of an original!

Jeremy

Awesome SiMan. How would you feel about taking some pictures of the snaps? Some good Up close macro shots of all the snaps and straps on the armor. Inside and out shots. This would be some fantastic information to pass on.

Thanks in advance.

As far as repainting goes I'm the same!
If I do decide to repaint it would have to be in the same paint, or near as i can get.The photo's of what it looked like before the strip will turn up and as soon as they do i'll have a good reference point to start with.

I will get more photos on here soon I'm just crazy busy at the minute with work!

Hi Simon,

There was a repainted screen original helmet sold by the Joiner / Kurtz archive through the profiles in history auction house. I will post pics when I get time along with pics of the propstore one with the paint removed when I get onto my laptop.

The Joiner / Kurtz one had a really crappy repaint if my memory serves me correctly. The crappy repaint never made any real impact on the final selling price.

Cheers Chris

Hi,

First pic is the helmet owned by The Propstore of London that the previous owner tried to clean up.

anhhelmetnv9.jpg

Here is the Joiner / Kurtz archive repainted helmet. Which to be honest looks a bit sterile to me and amongst purists like myself looks pretty crappily done.

1116-0015a.jpg

Chris

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back