Optimal items and clay for molds?

TitanGear

Howdy Forum,

Sorry I need to introduce myself and backstory:

I am brand new to sculpting and crafting. When I say I am new to scuplting I mean I haven't even started yet. I am going to start my collection of tools today as well as find clay. I am a prop designer for a live action show and I have been using pvc pipe and wood to make swords, hammers, set pieces and armor. I have decided to up the ante and start making items that smaller people can use since most of the things I have made can only be used by myself. I have been researching casting and molds and realize my best option is to make my own custom props to give our show an even more unique style since it is branching into Youtube and wider audiences. I need any information for clays I would use for making sculptures to cast into molds. I need clays that mold easy and wont stay in the molds when I take them apart. Do ya'll have any recommended brands of clay and do I have to bake them before molding? Are there any specific tool sets I should shop for? any websites or info ya'll have I greatly appreciate I am here to learn and become a better designer. I have some pictures of stuff I have worked on for the show Ill link. Again Thank You and this is Day One for me on the forums so I look forward to learning from the pros here. Ciao

My full armor and Hammer (still needs work)
Hammerdown.jpg

Scythe for Death
pictureview5.jpg

Sammy holding his axe
pictureview6.jpg

If you ask 20 artists, you'll get 20 different answers. Personally, I like Roma Plastilina clay; it has a strong odor (and is greasy), but unlike wed clay, it can be used over and over after you mold it... it NEVER dries out. But the first question is, do you want your final pieces to be rigid (resin) or soft (rubber)? That will determine if you need to make plaster molds or silicone molds, and you'll need to know what types of clays are compatible. Hope that helps for starters!

How big will your props be? what's your budget? For me, the big thing is to find a compromise between the material I use and the cost I have to pay for it. For the tentacle monster I did, it was quite large and I used straight up clay. Kept it damp, and it served fine for me.

When I did the Jumper I used an aluminum armature covered with crumpled aluminum foil and a layer of Sculpy, then cast it in Smooth-on products. The Sculpy required baking, but the figure needed massive detail and the materials I chose were aimed at being able to cleanly reproduce it.

The clay was cheap. Sculpy and Smooth-on aren't, but suited my requirements for that item.

What were you thinking of? How many of each? That also has a bearing on your material - a one-off would probably be ok with cheaper materials, but if you need a lot of the same thing, spending extra on the mould and casting would save in the long run if you don't need to keep re-making the mould.

Tools? Hard to say. Grab a variety pack from Michaels (or your local craft store) and see what works for the effect you're looking for. I have two or three that I use all the time, but I've also made my own with wire and old brush handles. Until you get into it, it's hard to know. Don't spend gobs of cash till you have an idea what's got to be good quality because you'll use it all the time, and what can just be cheap because you'll only use it a few times.

More questions than answers! Sorry!

If you ask 20 artists, you'll get 20 different answers. Personally, I like Roma Plastilina clay; it has a strong odor (and is greasy), but unlike wed clay, it can be used over and over after you mold it... it NEVER dries out. But the first question is, do you want your final pieces to be rigid (resin) or soft (rubber)? That will determine if you need to make plaster molds or silicone molds, and you'll need to know what types of clays are compatible. Hope that helps for starters!

Armors I make I would like to stand up to punishment and not break after one flip or blow from a prop sword. I'll probably blend both rubber and resin depending on the piece of armor. And a rigid foam for the weapons with fiberglass Rods for support.

How big will your props be? what's your budget? For me, the big thing is to find a compromise between the material I use and the cost I have to pay for it. For the tentacle monster I did, it was quite large and I used straight up clay. Kept it damp, and it served fine for me.

What were you thinking of? How many of each? That also has a bearing on your material - a one-off would probably be ok with cheaper materials, but if you need a lot of the same thing, spending extra on the mould and casting would save in the long run if you don't need to keep re-making the mould.

Tools? Hard to say. Grab a variety pack from Michaels (or your local craft store) and see what works for the effect you're looking for. I have two or three that I use all the time, but I've also made my own with wire and old brush handles. Until you get into it, it's hard to know. Don't spend gobs of cash till you have an idea what's got to be good quality because you'll use it all the time, and what can just be cheap because you'll only use it a few times.

More questions than answers! Sorry!
.thank you for the reply...

Props are designed to be anime themed so little ppl wielding freakishly huge weapons. Some of my swords n axes are up to six feet in length. So I'll be making them out of durable foam
What type of wire yu use? Would paper clips work?

Paper clips are good. The heavy ones. I've also used armature wire. I've used ends of big brushes with the ferrule and bristles removed, shaved them to a point and cut 'v' shapes to get texture. I've used toothpicks, toothbrushes and kitchen knives - round and pointy (watch your fingers!) Basting brushes made of silicone. Skewers, bamboo and metal.

And of course, the mark 1 finger.

I would stay away from roma clay since it contains sulfur and will inhibit the curing of silicone molds if thats something that you get into. I would look into Monster Makers Clay because it has a lower density than other clays so 5lbs is much more clay than 5lbs of other clays. It is oil based so doesnt need a release, it is meltable and pourable and indefinitely reusable.

For tools i tend to make my own but a good beginners sculpting set with a variety of wire loops, rakes and probes would be good.

Armature wire is available in different diameters so choose based on the size of the project. More clay on the wire, thicker wire.

I second Monster Makers Monster Clay.
Although I haven't had a chance to really get down to business with it I fell in love the moment I held some in my grubby little paws. Doesn't leave a nasty residue on your hands.:thumbsup

As well as your loop/ribbon tools and rakes i'd recommend a few "ball bearing" sculpting tools. I only discovered them recently and I've found them to be really useful. I'd also recommend using non-sulpher based clays just in-case you decide to make your mould out of silicone (the sulpher inhibits the cure as does latex so watch what gloves you buy). Monster Clay is very cool but i'd also recommend looking into Chavant NSP medium or hard. Also most plastiline clays can be melted and poured... might come in handy.

At the end of the day you'll spend ages playing around with different mediums until you find one that suits your project and work flow.

Good luck.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back