Opinions on MR FX lightsabers

Pastor Jedi

I know I have criticized MR and their making of the lightsaber props and I don't want to seem like I am kicking them when they are down and I'm sure that others have expressed there opinions about the inaccuracy of the FX line, but, I have been disapointed in almost every FX saber MR has made. It seems that the only ones that they got close to being "somewhat" accurate in size has been the Anakin AOTC, ROTS, Luke ANH, ESB and the Vader ANH and ESB. I would never even buy the Obi Wan ROTS and the Luke ROTJ sabers because of their inaccuracies. I also didn't like the Mace FX when I got it. Curiously, even though the Yoda FX was larger than the movie prop I liked it.
There seems to be so many others making better electronic light sabers out there that I am very surprised that the MR FX line is still resellable. I would love to see a line that can hold electronics and actually be accurate with its dimensions, not to mention have the ability to remove the blade. I would also like to see electronics put in the Dooku, Sidious, Obi Wan ANH and Vader ROTJ sabers. Anyone doing that out there?

the mr sabers are great for most people, work fine, look good, and the only ones i have issue with are the yoda (just too small for an adult) and the luke jedi and obi grenade sabers (Too fat, just looks too different).

The two main reasons fx's are resellable and popular is that they are
a)licensed
b)easily had for <100-

other sabers may have removable blades and be more accurate but they are gonna run ya 200+ easy

the mr sabers are great for most people, work fine, look good, and the only ones i have issue with are the yoda (just too small for an adult) and the luke jedi and obi grenade sabers (Too fat, just looks too different).

The two main reasons fx's are resellable and popular is that they are
a)licensed
b)easily had for <100-

other sabers may have removable blades and be more accurate but they are gonna run ya 200+ easy

For me it doesn't matter if they are "licensed" if they are inaccurate. I would rather pay more for an accurate one.

The Vader ESB and (second edition) ANH sabers were pretty accurate to the original prop size:

http://thepropzone.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sabercomp.jpg

The new Luke ANH is fairly accurate in terms of size - the Anakin ROTS is also Graflex sized, although I think the screen used ROTS saber was smaller than a graflex? The Anakin AOTC was oversized, as was the Luke ESB. The Luke ROTJ isn't bad, but the big flaw with it is the bulky neck to accomodate the FX blade.

Dunno about the others as I never owned them.

Overall, I think the FX sabers are/were cool toys. Especially for the price. They were never meant to be 100% accurate replicas, but MR came as close as they could to incorporate the elctronics, blades, keep them in budget and so on.

If the license is picked up by someone who wants to make FX style sabers, what I would really like to see is accurate hilts with built in sound effects and removable blades, for aroundc the same price and with the same high-street availability as the FX line.

I've seen quite a few fan-made Vader ROTJ, Obiwan etc. sabers with EL blades so they are 'out there'.

The Luke and Obiwan styles I have seen in the past are still not 100% accurate. The neck is always slightly wider to accomodate the blade, but not as pronounced as the FX versions.

I'm not sure how you would get past that problem, as the necks on the real sabers are so thin...

The Luke and Obiwan styles I have seen in the past are still not 100% accurate. The neck is always slightly wider to accomodate the blade, but not as pronounced as the FX versions.

I'm not sure how you would get past that problem, as the necks on the real sabers are so thin...

I've noticed that too.

I'm someone with a decent sized static (non-FX) Lightsaber collection and I also own 5 different FX sabers from MR.

I'm also someone who dresses up is Jedi and Sith costumes and wears them at conventions.

I really enjoy having accurate, correct static lightsabers, but I have never understood the want/need/desire for an accurate FX saber, or a removable blade.

In either my Obi-Wan costume, or my Darth Vader costume, I no longer troop with an FX lightsaber. I used to carry a Parks with removable blade, but it was such a hassle. I only had use of one hand, because I was carring around the full saber and blade, or I would put the saber on my belt, but I still had to carry around the detachable blade.

With my Vader costume, between putting on and taking off the helmet, and the limited visibility, I didn't want to have to put up with carring around something all day. I looks great in person, but between the well-lit convention floor and the camera flash, the LED effect is completly lost.

To me, my Lightsaber props are expensive toys. I don't see them as anything else, I don't have illusions that I actually own working Lightsabers and I'm really a Jedi Knight. My FX sabers are super cool, super fun toys that I enjoy and my kids enjoy also. I'd love a 100% accurate FX saber, accurate in size and details with an LED blade and full sound effects, but I'm fine with a decent replica for $100.

I think wanting a perfect accurate replica, as well as FX blade, is wanting the best of both worlds- and there is nothing wrong with that !! I just know that with an MR-style company, at least at the moment, it isn't a reality and I'm satisfied with that.

The inaccurate MR FX line has brought joy to me and my kids, and that's worth $100 to me anyday.

jamesm005-vi.jpg

I can see how it would be a hassel to carry around FX sabers, or a saber with a removable blade with a costume. I know MR has done the best they can, but there are more accurate sabers out there and ones with better electronics with remoable blades, even on FX sabers. So if the average Joe can convert them, then why wouldn't MR?

If MR sabers came out in the 80s, I would of freaked out as a little kid! they're definitely awesome toys! Problem is we're jaded prop collectors and we know there is better out there. plus they're affordable

I have an MR saber for my Vader and I love it.............The kids love it because they are pretty durable and can take a beating!!

Hope this helps!!:thumbsup

Well, I for one, enjoy the hell out of my MR FX sabers. 'Course, I'm a sucker for shiny things that light up, so go figure:lol

I'm not really into bladed sabers anyway not into swinging them round or duelling much rather have a static hilt just for display because yes i like accuracy having said that i do own a couple of FX sabers but only because they were cheap.
They're just big boys toys for a mass market not really aimed at prop collectors and like others have said for the price they're ok as a bit of fun.

I haven't ever felt like I could complain about the FX's. Sure they're not accurate. Some are too big. Some lack detials. But that's what the LE's or fan built static hilts are for.

Some saber makers can build LED light up sabers (some with sound) that are more accurate proportions but are usually and continually more expensive and more fragile. There's soemthing to be said for mass produced.

One other thing, most of the fan-made EL sabers don't have sound effects either. You have to make humming noises with your mouth, like Ewan did when filming TPM...;)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back