Darth vader force fx lightsaber faded chrome paint on hilt

fr33d0m

Good day. I am new to this forum. Can i ask whoever is an expert regarding my problem. The chorme part on the bottom of the hilt of my darth vader force fx lightsaber faded and showed the yellow plastic underneath. Is there a way to remove this part so i could repaint it? Thank you so much for any intelligent input and insights. I wish it was real metal (stainless or aluminum) so there is no problem about fading color (chrome). Has anyone encountered this problem? Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• 1109650-4a125ea5f2ddb69217e2001df5362aa4.jpg
    1109650-4a125ea5f2ddb69217e2001df5362aa4.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 113
You would have to remove the grips. There's a small pin that holds it in place.
Hello sir. Thank you so much. Do i have yo disassemble the whole hilt just to remove the grips? Have you done this before? Iam thinking of painting it chrome and just masking the areas and just exposing the faded part. By the way, all six plastic chrome all around just faded. It's because i clean my saber often. Maybe the rubbing of cloth faded those areas.

Here's a thread from a few years back where you asked about this. It has a short write up on how to disassemble the hilt

To recolour the chrome, you can use a molotow chrome pen to add the chrome finish back, You will have to search a store or website near you that sells them.

Here's a thread from a few years back where you asked about this. It has a short write up on how to disassemble the hilt

To recolour the chrome, you can use a molotow chrome pen to add the chrome finish back, You will have to search a store or website near you that sells them.
Thank you for your feedback sir. Will the molotow last a long time? Have you tried using molotow in rechroming parts? Would it be resistant to alcohol? I clean my sabers with a cloth dampen with alcohol.

Thank you for your feedback sir. Will the molotow last a long time? Have you tried using molotow in rechroming parts? Would it be resistant to alcohol? I clean my sabers with a cloth dampen with alcohol.
I have used molotow to chrome finish parts. It is quite a common technique. It will strip off with alcohol

I’d use the paint pens as suggested. I have never used that one but I don’t see any reason to doubt it.

However my suggestion it to simply touch up the bare areas to minimize the damage. I don’t think you should attempt to recolor the whole part as I think it might just make the area look worse. I would simply mask the area and touch up only the bare plastic areas. Also, do not try to put a protective clear coat as it will only turn the silver paint gray.

I do not have any idea how to remove the black grips sir. I am planning of masking some parts and exposing only the faded chrome areas and spray painting them with mirror chrome paint. What can you say sir? Unless there is a detailed instructions on how to remove the grips.

I’d use the paint pens as suggested. I have never used that one but I don’t see any reason to doubt it.

However my suggestion it to simply touch up the bare areas to minimize the damage. I don’t think you should attempt to recolor the whole part as I think it might just make the area look worse. I would simply mask the area and touch up only the bare plastic areas. Also, do not try to put a protective clear coat as it will only turn the silver paint gray.
Noted that sir. Thank you very much. But it would be very much better if i could somehow remove that while chrome ring and repaint it all over. Strip the remaining chrome and paint it with automotive-grade chrome paint.

Noted that sir. Thank you very much. But it would be very much better if i could somehow remove that while chrome ring and repaint it all over. Strip the remaining chrome and paint it with automotive-grade chrome paint.

My fear is that any rattle can paint you use will not match the rest of the hilt. You could paint the whole hilt but then you will have to deal with the paint wearing all over as you continue to handle the hilt.

The best ideal chrome paint that has a protective coating that will not dull the reflective nature of the paint is called Alclad but it is for airbrushing, not a rattle can.

You can search YouTube for chrome reviews and see comparisons of what works better. I will also tell you that the base coat you apply in color and luster can also affect the appearance of chrome paint application.

The best thing to do if you wanted it fixed right is to get the part removed stripped and electroplated back to its original condition but I have no idea what that would cost. I am also concerned with any additional damage you might do to the rest of the hilt trying to disassemble it.

My fear is that any rattle can paint you use will not match the rest of the hilt. You could paint the whole hilt but then you will have to deal with the paint wearing all over as you continue to handle the hilt.

The best ideal chrome paint that has a protective coating that will not dull the reflective nature of the paint is called Alclad but it is for airbrushing, not a rattle can.

You can search YouTube for chrome reviews and see comparisons of what works better. I will also tell you that the base coat you apply in color and luster can also affect the appearance of chrome paint application.

The best thing to do if you wanted it fixed right is to get the part removed stripped and electroplated back to its original condition but I have no idea what that would cost. I am also concerned with any additional damage you might do to the rest of the hilt trying to disassemble it.
Thank you sir. Electroplating is the best solution. I am still confused how to repaint the faded areas. If only there is a detailed instruction on how to remove that chrome plastic part of the hilt. Does alcohol still affect the molotow even if it is fully cured and dried?

Molotov is just a brand name of paint. Alcohol will affect just about any paint to some degree. Why are you concerned about it? Are you expecting to handle a lot of rubbing alcohol when wielding your lightsaber?

The grips do use pins/tabs to 'snap' into holes in the saber tube body but there is also glue so removing the grips could break the grips off when trying to remove. Because it's just on that plastic part you can easily mask off the grips and the chrome tube parts and just paint the plastic part with little trouble.

The Molotow chrome paint pens are super easy to use and give lots of control, it's like coloring in a coloring book just stay inside the lines. I've used SpazStix chrome many times and it's awesome but you do have to spray a gloss black first then spray the chrome over top. Because of the grips you hand will probably not come in contact with the repainted surfaces so wear should not be an issue.

My question is why are you using Alcohol to clean your sabers? Better to use a water-based cleaner with an included degreaser instead. Using alcohol over time can dry up plastic and cause it to crack, and you've already seen how it can effect plated/painted parts. Alcohol is not a preferred cleaner if you're wanting to keep your sabers in prime condition long-term.

Last edited:
Molotov is just a brand name of paint. Alcohol will affect just about any paint to some degree. Why are you concerned about it? Are you expecting to handle a lot of rubbing alcohol when wielding your lightsaber?
It is because i clean my lightasabers by a cloth dampen with isopropyl alcohol sir

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back