Opinions on Grail Diaries Replicas for a display? (Indiana Jones)

VonMagnum

Sr Member
I've been considering adding a replica grail diary to my collection of props and there's several available out there I've seen for sale (e.g. on Etsy) and a variety of price variations. It's rather difficult to tell whether the more expensive ones are worth the extra money. Visibly, it's hard to tell as well. The biggest differences in the photos seem to be what inserts it comes with and at least one mentioned it has the Hitler signature, for example (others make no mention at all). I'm aware some other versions (Magnoli and Saradnab for example) have been available in the past as well, but the ones I've seen for sale lately (in order of price to low) are from:

GoldenAgePosters (Seems a bit cheaper than the next one up, possibly due to low British Pound conversion at the moment; I don't know how well it compares).

RamseyProps (I've read some recommendations for this one in some threads before)

Redrommel (claims higher resolution hand redrawn reproductions and accurate number of pages; seems to include many actor father/son photos than others)

SwakProps (also claims accurate number of pages and shows some hero comparison photos on a linked web page, but not very high resolution to compare)

I'm just curious if anyone has seen some of these up close and their opinions on the quality overall and what they include, etc. (if there are others for sale, feel free to point them out). I don't expect any to be perfect and as a display item on a shelf, it obviously has to be picked up and opened to see anything at all and that fact alone makes me question if I really want one (i.e. if I had it in a "no touch" display, it could be blank inside or with one page insert to be displayed (i.e. propped open) and functionally wouldn't matter. I have the same issue with wanting to buy a book recreation from The Ninth Gate. I liked that movie and the book is a major factor in the movie, BUT as a display item, you just have a book with a pentagram on the front to look at (and even less if placed on a bookshelf as books normally are placed). I'd just hate to buy one and be disappointed at low quality or something that's hard to tell from a few photos on the Internet.

I'm also still considering the coins/bag from Temple of Doom to add to my bookshelf display (pocket watch from Raiders is on the way already). Other than whiskey bottles or cigarette cartons, I'm running out of major items to collect/display, barring clothes items (which I don't think would display too well in my theater room) and I'm also running out of space so it's just as well, I think.

I've been considering adding a replica grail diary to my collection of props and there's several available out there I've seen for sale (e.g. on Etsy) and a variety of price variations. It's rather difficult to tell whether the more expensive ones are worth the extra money. Visibly, it's hard to tell as well. The biggest differences in the photos seem to be what inserts it comes with and at least one mentioned it has the Hitler signature, for example (others make no mention at all). I'm aware some other versions (Magnoli and Saradnab for example) have been available in the past as well, but the ones I've seen for sale lately (in order of price to low) are from:

GoldenAgePosters (Seems a bit cheaper than the next one up, possibly due to low British Pound conversion at the moment; I don't know how well it compares).

RamseyProps (I've read some recommendations for this one in some threads before)

Redrommel (claims higher resolution hand redrawn reproductions and accurate number of pages; seems to include many actor father/son photos than others)

SwakProps (also claims accurate number of pages and shows some hero comparison photos on a linked web page, but not very high resolution to compare)

I'm just curious if anyone has seen some of these up close and their opinions on the quality overall and what they include, etc. (if there are others for sale, feel free to point them out). I don't expect any to be perfect and as a display item on a shelf, it obviously has to be picked up and opened to see anything at all and that fact alone makes me question if I really want one (i.e. if I had it in a "no touch" display, it could be blank inside or with one page insert to be displayed (i.e. propped open) and functionally wouldn't matter. I have the same issue with wanting to buy a book recreation from The Ninth Gate. I liked that movie and the book is a major factor in the movie, BUT as a display item, you just have a book with a pentagram on the front to look at (and even less if placed on a bookshelf as books normally are placed). I'd just hate to buy one and be disappointed at low quality or something that's hard to tell from a few photos on the Internet.

I'm also still considering the coins/bag from Temple of Doom to add to my bookshelf display (pocket watch from Raiders is on the way already). Other than whiskey bottles or cigarette cartons, I'm running out of major items to collect/display, barring clothes items (which I don't think would display too well in my theater room) and I'm also running out of space so it's just as well, I think.
just be aware that I did some research for the one I made using reviews that people put on YouTube and some of the replica ones have got the pages repeated in order to make up the page numbers so look on YouTube as I can't remember which one's they were.

If its a replica of the Hero Grail Diary, it would definitely have repeated pages as that's how the Hero is. If its a Story Diary, it wouldn't have repeated pages as there are a lot of invented pages slotted in between the Hero pages.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back