opinions on alumilite Mini casting kit vs Super casting kit?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am going to more than likely be picking up one of these later in the week for a side project, and was wondering some pros and cons of the kits.

REALLY leaning towards the Super one, cause I have a coupon for 40% off, but if its not that great a value compared to the mini, I will just grab the mini.

I've only used their clear resin, so any tips/advice/feedback on their regular stuff would be welcome.

Same goes with the silicone included. Never used their brand, always used Smooth on or some stuff I bought off ebay once (worked great, got it from some boat store).

Any helps appreciated!
Chris

A dirty secret about silicone is most of its rebranded and sold from a few large originating manufacturers. The catalyst may be altered or colored but for the most part its near the same per durometer.

If you know the right people you can get actual custom silicone thats special ordered via large account holders but its always a cash and carry thing if you know the vendor well. As an example im using some silicone thats made and sold only to a large account holder. Its such a great product it takes zero evacuating yet no air bubbles/pockets, limited mixing time due to its viscosity yet is more durable than the widely used stuff. Its not made available to the public due to other large account holders being afraid of change.

As far as resin/plastic, if the larger kit is what you need, get it and vice versa for the smaller kit. Keep shelf life in mind as well as proper storage. Ive got some plastic kits that have been used off and on over the course of 3+ years and have no issues with it due to proper storage. Its not alumilite though so I cant comment on that product.

Ended up going for the mini kit. Just looking to mold/cast some coins and god knows I don't need a ton of silicone or resin for that.

Came up to about 25$ with shipping and my discount coupon. If I could have found the damned thing at a local shop it'd have been about 18$ with my coupon but no one had it :(

Appreciate the advice man :)
Chris

Damnation.

Ok, WHILE THE BOX SHOWS A 2 PIECE MOLD, apparently you are supposed to just use this kit as a one piece mold.

Which... does me no good because I can't make a coin with a one piece mold.

Might end up just halving the catalyst and silicone and trying to make a 2 piece, but it's gonna be a bit weird to halve 13 grams of catalyst.

I called the company, and they did offer to sell me another batch of silicone for 12$, but screw that I already wasted 25$ on this damn thing.

Chris

Alumilite is a great, high quality resin. It costs a little more than others but it's great when you want a nice, fast kick (3 minutes or less)

The rubber is Dow Corning. (I believe)

-Rylo

One more vote for Allumilte. I love it and the 2 times I've had questions/problems their Customer Service is the best I've encountered at fixing/answering my issue.
I use them for all my small projects. Love them!!!!!
d

Hydin, Thanks for the heads up on the mini kit. I just found out there is a hobby lobby about 30 mins away from me. I might try the super with the coupon.

Very excited that I found someone locally that sells mold making things.

I've used Alumilite for several years and have never had any issues with it- good stuff and good customer service. If you have a really complex pattern the HS 3 silicone is more flexible than the HS 2 but it tears a lot easier.

Chris,
You can make a one piece mold for a coin- I do this all the time. Take a look at how I did a one piece mold for a Green Lantern ring here-
How to make a Green Lantern ring- including a glowing version!

The trick with molding things like coins it getting all of the air bubbles out since you have a large flat surface. Ideally you want to vacuum the mold or if that's not possible place your mold on a flat surface and then put a palm finishing sander on the surface next to your mold- the sander will vibrate the mold and help air bubbles escape.

If you have any other questions just let me know!

Just picked up my kit! Now I just need to finish something so I can try making a mold.

570FCD1F-1C60-4B57-876A-43A9220E0DE6-10663-00000C1233899896.jpg

8FB5FABF-9942-403C-956C-E8709DDCFC50-10663-00000C123AF93A33.jpg

I first learned and began working with Alumilite many years ago while working in a special effects prop shop during a film. After several years of working with this urethane based resin I will tell you that it far exceeds any other resin out there. I could list several reasons why but all I need to say is that it is the prefered casting material for almost every special effects creature and model shop in the industry.

you can buy Alumilite in several colors ranging from clear to white, to black. The special effects industry primarily orders most of its casting and mold making materials from Burman Foam & Latex in Van Nuys, Ca. Even if you are not in the industry they are open to individuals and you can order from them directly.

Alumilte parts A&B will run you about $29 for a 1 pint set, $165 for a 1 gallon set, and
$630.00 for a 5 gallon set. You can also choose to buy Alumilite in clear and buy color dyes for it for around $10 for a 2oz container. The stuff is remarkable and once you cast in Alumilite you will never choose any other resin again.

Correction: A 2 gallon kit (1g A / 1g B) is 94.00

Only resin I use. :thumbsup

I first learned and began working with Alumilite many years ago while working in a special effects prop shop during a film. After several years of working with this urethane based resin I will tell you that it far exceeds any other resin out there. I could list several reasons why but all I need to say is that it is the prefered casting material for almost every special effects creature and model shop in the industry.

you can buy Alumilite in several colors ranging from clear to white, to black. The special effects industry primarily orders most of its casting and mold making materials from Burman Foam & Latex in Van Nuys, Ca. Even if you are not in the industry they are open to individuals and you can order from them directly.

Alumilte parts A&B will run you about $29 for a 1 pint set, $165 for a 1 gallon set, and
$630.00 for a 5 gallon set. You can also choose to buy Alumilite in clear and buy color dyes for it for around $10 for a 2oz container. The stuff is remarkable and once you cast in Alumilite you will never choose any other resin again.

I use this for EVERYTHING!!! They sell a release agent to make two piece molds and it works wonderfully. My only complaint is that my local Hobby Lobby doesn't carry enough. When I make a large mold I order from Amazon.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back