Opinion Thread Vader Experts, what's the origin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet it had a lot to do with the asking price. :D

Originally posted by fettpride@Apr 7 2006, 01:55 AM
Why did I not take the helmet? That is a long story :lol It had nothing to do with how nice the helmet is though ;)
FP

Originally posted by fettpride@Apr 7 2006, 06:55 PM
Why did I not take the helmet? That is a long story :lol It had nothing to do with how nice the helmet is though ;)
Okay. Nuff said.

Thanks. :D

Originally posted by RKW@Apr 7 2006, 01:55 AM
Please do show us those pictures Fettpride. Anything that shows the faceplate straight on and preferably without the dome.

I want to know if this is another helmet out of the Jeff White school of Vader helmets. The uniform thickness of the mouth reminds me of Gino's faceplate which also came from Jeff.
[snapback]1221634[/snapback]​

Sorry, I missed this one ....

A little birdy told me .... yes ;)

I'm stepping out of this one now ... I filled propsculptor in on what exactly it is I know about this helmet to help him out. Any further shared info will be at his discretion since it is his thread. I didn't mean to derail anything :lol

FP

No problem as I already told you, nothing has been derailed.

All the information I get I'll post here for those interested.

Originally posted by fettpride@Apr 7 2006, 02:09 AM
I'm stepping out of this one now ... I filled propsculptor in on what exactly it is I know about this helmet to help him out. Any further shared info will be at his discretion since it is his thread. I didn't mean to derail anything :lol
FP

This is not a case of recasting since the history of this helmet has been discussed in detail.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Apr 7 2006, 04:09 AM
THAT was fast how this turned from an "origin" inquiry to a "interest" thread.

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=108281

I guess recasting is not frowned upon in this situation.  I wonder why I bother speaking up against recasting when so many people apparently don't care.
[snapback]1221683[/snapback]​

Since no one seems to "speak for" the Fyberdyne-style helmet and since this particular version was changed significantly from the original Fyberdyne, and unless TE considers it his own Vader helmet, it seems open for "business" :lol

T

Darn it, I was trying to stay out of this now :lol

Nohumorman - you know that I'm an opponent of the recasting of private works . :confused

But, if you saw how much bondo was on this bad boy, I seriously don't think it would bother ya ;)

FP

Originally posted by propsculptor@Apr 7 2006, 09:30 PM
This is not a case of recasting since the history of this helmet has been discussed in detail.
[snapback]1222026[/snapback]​
What you plan to do is "recasting", unless you have the mold. Recasting IS exactly what lies in the word:
Re(=again)cast... or more commonly said: a cast of a cast.

Making a mold from a helmet and making casts from that mold is recasting. Plain and simple. That's what the word means. But if I'm wrong, then I would love to know.

Originally posted by fettpride@Apr 7 2006, 11:10 PM
Darn it, I was trying to stay out of this now :lol
Nohumorman - you know that I'm an opponent of the recasting of private works .  :confused
But, if you saw how much bondo was on this bad boy, I seriously don't think it would bother ya ;)
FP
[snapback]1222068[/snapback]​
I'm sorry fettpride, my response was not directed at you at all. I apologize if it could be read that way.

I just find it very strange that some people find it okay to just make a mold from a helmet and then offer copies of that helmet, just because no one "claims" ownership or whatever over it.

Originally posted by SithLord@Apr 7 2006, 09:02 PM
Since no one seems to "speak for" the Fyberdyne-style helmet and since this particular version was changed significantly from the original Fyberdyne, and unless TE considers it his own Vader helmet, it seems open for "business"  :lol

[snapback]1222062[/snapback]​

Lets not forget that the Fyberdyne was a recast of Jeff's helmet. The continuous improvements that have been made to it as seen in the GH, Gino and now Propsculpter helmet have all been made by who? Jeff?

Would Jeff be happy about another of his helmets being recast? Or can we consider it all fair game? History tells us it's fair game and we even have a staff member giving the green light :lol

This just in...
From Greg H himself:

Originally posted by Greg H Apr 2006 20:07:25
It did not come from jeff, although it is possible it originated from him - anything is possible with the way props change hands.

It had to have originated from Jeff as the details of this new helmet are too consistant with Jeff's other offerings. This Jeff W seems to be the godfather of Vader props. The only thing I haven't figured out is if he actually sculpts them himself or hires someone else to do it. I'm also curious whether he demands screen used prices for these helmets or an equivalent value in trade.

Do you have photos of Jeff's Helmets that you can post?

I knew Jeff years ago when he worked at Icons and I didn't
even know he made Vader helmets.

Originally posted by RKW@Apr 7 2006, 02:31 PM
It had to have originated from Jeff as the details of this new helmet are too consistant with Jeff's other offerings. This Jeff seems to be the godfather of Vader props. The only thing I haven't figured out is if he actually sculpts them himself or hires someone else to do it. I'm also curious whether he demands screen used prices for these helmets or an equivalent value in trade.
[snapback]1222126[/snapback]​

Originally posted by propsculptor+Apr 7 2006, 10:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propsculptor @ Apr 7 2006, 10:34 PM)</div>
Do you have photos of Jeff's Helmets that you can post?

I knew Jeff years ago when he worked at Icons and I didn't
even know he made Vader helmets.

<!--QuoteBegin-RKW
@Apr 7 2006, 02:31 PM
It had to have originated from Jeff as the details of this new helmet are too consistant with Jeff's other offerings. This Jeff seems to be the godfather of Vader props. The only thing I haven't figured out is if he actually sculpts them himself or hires someone else to do it. I'm also curious whether he demands screen used prices for these helmets or an equivalent value in trade.
[snapback]1222126[/snapback]​
[snapback]1222129[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hey I'm only a JAFO. Both Ghost Host & Gino have had or still are in contact with Jeff so they could fill you in more about the days when he sold helmets. I have only one picture of what is claimed to be one of Jeff's helmets which has been posted here before but the quality is so low-res it's almost useless.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Apr 7 2006, 05:02 PM
Making a mold from a helmet and making casts from that mold is recasting.  Plain and simple.  That's what the word means.  But if I'm wrong, then I would love to know.

[snapback]1222114[/snapback]​

...I suspect that 99% of the fan made Vader helmets out there originated this way......

Originally posted by KevVader+Apr 8 2006, 12:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Apr 8 2006, 12:57 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-NoHumorMan
@Apr 7 2006, 05:02 PM
Making a mold from a helmet and making casts from that mold is recasting.  Plain and simple.  That's what the word means.  But if I'm wrong, then I would love to know.
...I suspect that 99% of the fan made Vader helmets out there originated this way......
[snapback]1222142[/snapback]​
[/b]
So... I'm NOT wrong? :)

Originally posted by propsculptor+Apr 7 2006, 03:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propsculptor @ Apr 7 2006, 03:22 PM)</div>
This just in...
From Greg Hanson himself:

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg Hanson Apr 2006 20:07:25
It did not come from a jeff white, although it is possible it originated from him - anything is possible with the way props change hands.
[snapback]1222123[/snapback]​
[/b]

Um, Interesting. I seriously don't want to be any more involved than I already got myself , but now things appear to be getting a little distorted. I sent you an e-mail about a few minutes ago.

FP

Originally posted by NoHumorMan+Apr 7 2006, 05:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Apr 7 2006, 05:59 PM)</div>
Originally posted by KevVader@Apr 8 2006, 12:57 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-NoHumorMan
@Apr 7 2006, 05:02 PM

[snapback]1222142[/snapback]​
So... I'm NOT wrong? :)
[snapback]1222144[/snapback]​
[/b]

Oh no....I'm not falling for that one. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back