One eyed Willie's map from Goonies - WIP - finished!

EyeofSauron

Master Member
well, i made the map file some time ago, to sell it, and its pretty darn accurate, but printing stuff is not often an option for me. so, while i think i did a good job of making the digital copy, i knew i was probably never gonna get it printed for myself.

Well now that i am on holiday, i decided to draw one myself, according to my own file as reference.

so i got all the materials i needed, including special paper and so on.

first, i needed to get the weathering/aging right. i have some experience with paper aging from my bttf/hook notes.
But with the paper, it was a little different, due to texture. so i did do a lot of test pieces from spare paper(because i wisely bought a bigger sheet, to test stuff out ;) )
so, after hours of testing, and 9 test pieces, i decided to use black tea, with some sprinkles of instant coffee for a little irregularity.

the rest is pretty basic, its just really boring and needs a lot of concentration and dedication, getting everything right

i drew out the stuff with pencil, and then went over it with black ink (using a feather, mind you :D)
so, by now im 12 hours in this build and it will take at least 2 more days to finish it.

i have all the lines laid out, but still need to mark out the text with pencil, and go over it with ink, and then go over the lines with red ink.
when all that is done, i will tear the edge, go over it with lime juice, and use a heat gun to get nice burnt edges.
then, some more folding, a little sanding to simulate worn fold lines and paper, and its done.

see some pics in the attachments ;)

Last edited:
Re: One eyed Willie's map from Goonies - WIP

thx dballs ;)

lots of work done today, all the text on the front is done (still need to do the notes on the back, but thats minor)
i also did all the lines in red ink, im not 100% happy with the color of the red ink, and i have to come up with something else for the blood, as i dont want it to be the exact same color as the lines.
after everything was done, i erased all the pencil marks, and then drew on the outlines, and holes plus the parts where the blood goes in pencil, and thats as far as i got today.
Tomorrow, i will be doing the back, then doing the edge, and holes, then figure out something that would work for blood and finally burning the edges

so here are some more progress shots:

Re: One eyed Willie's map from Goonies - WIP - 80% done!

great job on this. if you ever feel like selling the digital file let me know, i would love to make one of these.

that's awesome I was wondering if you could upload an unmarked full resolution file of the map?

great job on this. if you ever feel like selling the digital file let me know, i would love to make one of these.
im selling it, but there is no trade talk outside the jy, so hit me a pm. also, i prefer trades ;)

You sir, need a light table... ;)
youre right i do. unfortunately, noone wants to buy me one ;)

that's awesome I was wondering if you could upload an unmarked full resolution file of the map?
sorry, but no
it took me more than a week, and a lot of research to get that file screen acurate, and there is no closer version available. i give away a lot of my files for free (see my pepakura files thread etc), but anything that takes me more than a week to make, i dont just hand out.

well, three days are gone, and i am finished :)

only had to do the blood,the edges, the folds and the backside today, but still was lots of stuff ;)
first i drew guidelines on the back for the notes, then went over it with red and black ink.
i tore the edge according to my pencil guideline, then used a lighter to get a nice clean burnt edge look.
i tried out the lemon juice on a test piece, but it didnt work well, so i just used the lighter.
Same thing with the holes.
Then i did the folds, slightly creased where they were supposed to go, otherwise the paper wouldnt have bent the way i wanted. you cant see it tho, where i used the knife, so its fine.
finally, i had to tackle the blood. this was kinda hard, as the red ink i had was too light for it.

So, after a some testing, with felt tip pens etc, i decided to go and mix red and black ink.
This worked pretty well, alltho it took me a lot of tries, to get the ratio from black to red right. but i am very happy with the outcome

i also added a leather band for the hole, just to top it off.

so, here are some pics of the final product ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back