Ok I decided to make a Life Sized Vader! Need help for Dave Prowse Mannequin sizing!

ataru72ita

Hey guys,

Being one of the few worldwide and extremely happy owners of a TM ANH finished faceplate and a EFX Vader Legend, I spent a lot of time considering to set up a uberaccurate ANH Vader costume to wear around. During this span of time i acquired a very accurate chest armour (thank to Vader71), a VaderV chest box (with all the accessories needed to complete it, since is a raw cast, thank to Snedders, who also gave me the honour to possess a Darth Ugly ANH Vader Helmet), a uberaccurate cod piece and belt from Artisan Props (which he disappeared unexpectedly, too sad because I really wanted from him a Luke Yavin Holster, but that's another Jedi wip story!), a very accurate pair of belt boxes (really fantastic! Thank to Vader Darth), a pair of accurate gloves, a pair of shin guards (thank to korbanth).
If You're really Vader fanatics, I bet that You've already guessed right!!:D Fact is that You all for sure noticed that I unconsciously chose only the things that are a fixed size! Inside of me I was already facing the damn truth!! That I could never be realistic with a Darth Vader costume indeed (I'm just 1,75 m tall):cry:facepalm I would always be freaking ridiculous, trying to use raisers or stuff like that!:rolleyes

Having accepted after great and long tribulation the fact that I'll never be able to wear properly, even in case of being ever able, let's say, to set up, a great super accurate costume!

OK having said so, let's start at least from a nice step then!:behave

Now fortunately I lack of a few things in order to finish a damn freakin’ beautiful accurate lifesize statue, which are: the 3 piece leather suit, the inner robes, the cape, the saber hilt/complete (these are arriving too, so not much help needed unless someone has a cheap affordable real deal made one:angel) and the boots.

Hope You'll help me with those, suggesting who is the right guy around to ask to (Hollywood Props, Phenix Props, Custom Props, non of the previous), please be specific on the pros and cons.:cheers

But just one thing, which is not listed above and to me is the most difficult one, to chose a proper mannequin with proper sizing to Mr Dave Prowse in his ANH time fit!!:cry

Probably a cheaper way would be to get the highest fix male shop mannequin around and heavily modify it wisely with appropriate padding in the right places, I also remember to have read around that several people around have already passed successfully through this very path. So I expect a lot of help here! I'm sure as well that a real Vader building thread has been waited a long time in the woods!!:D:D

Please start from suggesting Mr Dave Prowse accurate sizing regarding to that time of his life so I can begin to figure out what's available around at the moment!

He should have looked just as he appeared in Clockwork Orange! I guess!

dv.jpg~original.jpg o-DAVE-PROWSE-570.jpg

Thank You all in advance guys!!

Regards,

Alberto

Last edited:
Re: Ok I decided to make a Life Sized Vader! Need halp for Dave Prowse Mannequin sizi

From an older rpf thread....I forget when....
Also try the prop den for Vader Specific topics/threads

Height 6' 6" (~201.17 cm)
Hat size 7 3/4
Neck 18 1/2 (~46.99 cm)
Chest 50" (~127.00 cm)
Waist 38" (~96.52 cm)
Biceps 18" (~45.72 cm)
forearm 15" (~38.10 cm)
Large thigh 27" (~68.58 cm)
Calf 18" (~45.72 cm)
Shoe size - a very wide 12 made to measure 6E fitting

David Prowse =
Height: dressed 82" (~208.28 cm) undressed 79" (~200.66 cm)
Neck To Floor: 69" (~175.26 cm)
Back Neck To Hip: seated 30.5" (~77.47 cm)
Torso Length: neck front to neck back through crotch 72" (~182.88 cm)
Shoulders across back 19.5" (~49.53 cm)
Chest: 45.5" (~115.57 cm)
Upper Chest: 47" (~119.38 cm)
Under Chest: 41.5" (~105.41 cm)
Waist: 40" (~101.60 cm)
Hips: 46.5" (~118.11)
Armseye: 27" (~68.58 cm)
Bicep: 17" (~43.18 cm)
Elbow" 14.5" (~36.83 cm)
Forearm: 14.5" (~36.83 cm)
Wrist: 10.5" (~26.67 cm)
Sleeve shoulder to wrist 27.75" (~70.49 cm)
Shoulder To Elbow: 14.75" (~37.47 cm)
Shoulder To Finger Tip: 35.5" (~90.17 cm)
Underarm To Wrist: 18.5" (~46.99 cm)
Underarm To Elbow: 6.5" (~16.51 cm)
Inseam To Ankle: 31" (~78.74 cm)
Inseam To Floor: 36" (~91.44 cm)
Outseam To Ankle: 45.5" (~115.57 cm)
Outseam To Floor: 49.25" (~125.10 cm)
Knee To Ankle: 18.5" (~46.99 cm)
Knee To Floor: 22.5" (~57.15 cm)
Rise: waist front to waist back through crotch 35" (~88.90 cm)
Thigh: 27.5" (~69.85 cm)

Re: Ok I decided to make a Life Sized Vader! Need halp for Dave Prowse Mannequin sizi

From an older rpf thread....I forget when....
Also try the prop den for Vader Specific topics/threads

Height 6' 6" (~201.17 cm)
Hat size 7 3/4
Neck 18 1/2 (~46.99 cm)
Chest 50" (~127.00 cm)
Waist 38" (~96.52 cm)
Biceps 18" (~45.72 cm)
forearm 15" (~38.10 cm)
Large thigh 27" (~68.58 cm)
Calf 18" (~45.72 cm)
Shoe size - a very wide 12 made to measure 6E fitting

David Prowse =
Height: dressed 82" (~208.28 cm) undressed 79" (~200.66 cm)
Neck To Floor: 69" (~175.26 cm)
Back Neck To Hip: seated 30.5" (~77.47 cm)
Torso Length: neck front to neck back through crotch 72" (~182.88 cm)
Shoulders across back 19.5" (~49.53 cm)
Chest: 45.5" (~115.57 cm)
Upper Chest: 47" (~119.38 cm)
Under Chest: 41.5" (~105.41 cm)
Waist: 40" (~101.60 cm)
Hips: 46.5" (~118.11)
Armseye: 27" (~68.58 cm)
Bicep: 17" (~43.18 cm)
Elbow" 14.5" (~36.83 cm)
Forearm: 14.5" (~36.83 cm)
Wrist: 10.5" (~26.67 cm)
Sleeve shoulder to wrist 27.75" (~70.49 cm)
Shoulder To Elbow: 14.75" (~37.47 cm)
Shoulder To Finger Tip: 35.5" (~90.17 cm)
Underarm To Wrist: 18.5" (~46.99 cm)
Underarm To Elbow: 6.5" (~16.51 cm)
Inseam To Ankle: 31" (~78.74 cm)
Inseam To Floor: 36" (~91.44 cm)
Outseam To Ankle: 45.5" (~115.57 cm)
Outseam To Floor: 49.25" (~125.10 cm)
Knee To Ankle: 18.5" (~46.99 cm)
Knee To Floor: 22.5" (~57.15 cm)
Rise: waist front to waist back through crotch 35" (~88.90 cm)
Thigh: 27.5" (~69.85 cm)

I remember to have read more than one thread some time ago, I don't remember actually where and exactly when either! But wow! Thank You so much!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I remember there have been debate on the measures too, but I don't remember exactly what was the point!

Regards,

Alberto

Re: Ok I decided to make a Life Sized Vader! Need help for Dave Prowse Mannequin sizi

I dont believe the measurements are correct...some seems really strange and he definetly was not more than 1,98m tall. Also he was no bodybuilder during ANH...just a tall and sportive guy....so keep that in mint. My mannequins i once started were way to massive too and i'm still not pleased. To get a real accurate mannequin is very difficult because Prowse has a very uniqe typ of body...especially the chest.
Regarding the suit i would suggest costume props for their three piece leather suit. The problem is just that if you order three times the same...you get three different suits.....its a little bit like a lottery. For the capeset i would suggest KevVader here on the forum. Hope that helps.

Re: Ok I decided to make a Life Sized Vader! Need help for Dave Prowse Mannequin sizi

Agreed with D Niob.

Looking back on the TPD ( The Prop Den) the measurements came from VaderMaker's website......
There are some outstanding vader 1:1's out there but my guess is that it took a lot of time effort and money to get them to look just right :) But in the end, if you love how it looks, that all that matters :)
Costume props for sure and I have heard only awesome things about KevVader's cape set!

Along with Gino - Darth Karo and others - there are some pretty spectacular Vaders

i.e Brent M's newest http://www.therpf.com/f79/finally-my-1-1-esb-darth-vader-statue-complete-lots-pics-inside-228897/

Last edited:

C'mon guys that's it?? Just two brave, nobody wants to join this discussion and help me more in depth??

Regards,

Alberto

Perhaps you could add some pictures of the parts you already aqcuired? I love threads with lots of pictures ;)

Chaim

P.S.
Currently working on a Darth Ugly ESB with whatever parts I can gather/create albeit not really screen-accurate still quite believable

Perhaps you could add some pictures of the parts you already aqcuired? I love threads with lots of pictures ;)

Chaim

P.S.
Currently working on a Darth Ugly ESB with whatever parts I can gather/create albeit not really screen-accurate still quite believable

Yes Chaim You're right, here You go:

My gloriously finished ANH TM:
10599393_830899143607543_4163680043367516474_n.jpg
Finished on my request by Vader71 to mimic the following ref image:
10169127_742770749087050_1994408825_n.jpg
Chest armour, belt buckle and gloves from Vader71!
image1.jpeg
VaderV raw cast chestbox
1064887_875235342507256_1822712911399214650_o.jpg
greeblies inside:
10838032_875235339173923_7057978692987973113_o.jpg

Artisan Props ANH Cod piece:

photo.JPG

Artisan Props Belt:

Velcro (1).JPG

Here are the belt boxes, please ignore my EFX LE and the Hasbro:
10001586_726976057333186_156512491_n.jpg
Shinguards:
ABSshins_zps116cfe7f.jpeg~original.jpg

That is in images what I've got so far.

Regards,

Alberto

Last edited:

I love the roughness of that ANH Vader lid!

speaking of which ( sorry for the slight hijack) is Doug from Artisan Props still around - PM'd him - no response - last active in August of this year.......

Nice pieces ataru

I love the roughness of that ANH Vader lid!

Thank You very much Sergiu, but I have to thank Vader71, I just asked him to finish it like that! I totally love that shot of the weared facemask!!:thumbsup

Regards,

Alberto

speaking of which ( sorry for the slight hijack) is Doug from Artisan Props still around - PM'd him - no response - last active in August of this year.......

Nice pieces ataru

Thank You Anakin!

I do confirm that we were planning a Luke Yavin holster project, we were messaging each other but, after a month and a half of no news about the 3D printed Leia Blaster, which was abandoned from the potential author of the run (his house was damaged from a fire caused by the 3D priner he had in the basement), he just was not answering my messages either by mail nor by pm.. I keep trying with no Answer, hope nothing bad happened to Doug he is a really nice human being!! It's been since the start of summer since he disappeared.
I just supposed he was working on something with secrecy bonding like Anovos or even SW itself, but ended just every type of comm to the outer world...but still!:rolleyes
I'm kinda worried!!:behave
Regards,

Alberto

Yes...hope all is well with him! :)

Thank You Anakin!

I do confirm that we were planning a Luke Yavin holster project, we were messaging each other but, after a month and a half of no news about the 3D printed Leia Blaster, which was abandoned from the potential author of the run (his house was damaged from a fire caused by the 3D priner he had in the basement), he just was not answering my messages either by mail nor by pm.. I keep trying with no Answer, hope nothing bad happened to Doug he is a really nice human being!! It's been since the start of summer since he disappeared.
I just supposed he was working on something with secrecy bonding like Anovos or even SW itself, but ended just every type of comm to the outer world...but still!:rolleyes
I'm kinda worried!!:behave
Regards,

Alberto

You've collected some nice pieces and I was happy to help you get a few of them. I'm looking forward to seeing it all put together as it should really be a grand display my friend.

You've collected some nice pieces and I was happy to help you get a few of them. I'm looking forward to seeing it all put together as it should really be a grand display my friend.

I'll never ever have enough words to say THANK YOU my friend for Your Precious help on this task!!!

Regards,

Alberto

Any more progress Alberto?

Chaim

Any more progress Alberto?

Chaim

Hi Chaim happy New Year!

I ordered the 3 pieces custom leather suit from Custom Props (Claudio Oliver), on Dave Prowse sizing! This will take a month to be done, hope to post some step progress as soon as he sends it to me.
Still looking for a high enough mannequin, so that, as soon as the suit arrives I'll be able to fit it adequately to the suit, attaining a nice enough fit and outside look!:D

Still waiting with extreme hope someone of the Europe based fellow members kind enough to finally pop up, pointing me to a vendor offering something that approaches the Prowse figure!:behave

Regards,

Alberto

Seems like a project ... perhaps ask Fabrizio a.k.a. Dark-Side in Italy he's all into Vader props and such ... and ahum my Italian is not what is used to be since I have my hands full with Darth Ugly costume ;) . . . So what are Dave Prowse correct sizes during filming?

Chaim

Seems like a project ... perhaps ask Fabrizio a.k.a. Dark-Side in Italy he's all into Vader props and such ... and ahum my Italian is not what is used to be since I have my hands full with Darth Ugly costume ;) . . . So what are Dave Prowse correct sizes during filming?

Chaim

There was a lot of debate on the prop Den saying that the above were wrong since he wasn't a bodybuilder at that time any more, and they were saying that he was not as tall as 207cm dressed. But nothing really conclusive!

Actually I really would like at least some of them to show up and saying the last word on this issue, maybe tey're too busy to secret plot and discuss on some cast lineage to waist their time with a newcomer as I am!:facepalm:cry

Regards,

Alberto

Yeah ... I have experienced the 'elite' treatment firsthand myself from a local member on the Den ... that's not for me though I like to share ... heck I even shook hands with Dave Prowse himself while most of them haven't muaha,ha,ha,ha ... he's such a decent bloke and you need to approach him like any other and give credit for his achievement as Vader ... that's all. Go visit STAR WARS Celebration Europe III whenever and whereever that will be in the near future ... it doesn't get any better than that ... I was part of the CREW twice and had a blast :)

Chaim

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back