Ocean's 11 - Sliding Concussion/Knockout grenades

BornKilr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Have a question for you experts! Just saw Ocean's 11 (remake) recently and wondered if the flash bang/smoke grenades that are slid across the floor to knock out the guards are based on a real item, or are strictly a Hollywood creation? I've seen variations in other movies, just can't recall which ones right now.

I’d be interested in the answer as well. I always assumed these weren’t a real world item, but I’ve seen several versions of this in many films which leads me to believe that they MIGHT be real, or at least based off a real item.

Hi use to work with R and D for DOD contractors. Was also in the service (though I enlisted as a 1371, i saw unconventional electronics during deployments). There ARE covert/mini accouatic weapons called 'banshees'. They are bigger than what you saw and dont exclusively K.O. A person. However they DO disrupt the inner ear processes that can indeed make you faint....akin to someone passing our from extreme pain. But its mainly used as a suppressive, general purpoise non lethal option. It will not produce reliable K.O. Effects but WILL disable through pain and disprientation. I think this may have suppose to be an exaggerated version akin to how 'the pinch' is a real thing but highly exagerated (interestingly enough, a VERY real mass emp weapon called a solition wave device does indeed exist and with money and good engineering skills a person can build one at home. As a matter of truth they are designed to take out a controlled radius. The emp weapons we used in the Iraq war 2.0 was a soliton wave base.) Anyway I feel the K.O. Device was indeed a exaggerated Banshee puck. If you listen close you can hear an electronic chirp at the beginning. Also it can be an NLD, non lethal disruption device. They werw ment to be slid into a room and quietlt dispurse an anasthetic (most likely Halothane). They were deaigbed to be a safer room ckearing unit. At the time of development stun grenades still had an incendiary effect and could cause any innocents or hostages i the room to suffer severe hearing damage. HOWEVER as any anesthesiologist will tell you....the K.O. Dose is very close to a lethal dose and people can react negativly during unconsciousness creating a coma that you dont wake up from. So the project diverted to using concentrated synthetic opioids like Carfentanyl. We all saw how that turned out when Russian ops used it to knockout the extreamista in a theatre full of people.
Hope this helps.
--sorry the typing is not better. I am typing this on a broke screen and trying to rush to see Halloween Ends. Just saw post and recognized the scene and happen to have exposure to unconventional defense tech.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back