OC Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Concept Art

LadyPrixia

Hi guys! I'm new here. I would like to know about the making custom props of the Sonic Screwdrivers. I made of a model for my OC Doctor from a Fanfic that i'm creating and i would like to make the costume of the my own Doctor for cosplay.

photo_2022-03-18_20-07-07.jpg

What an interesting design! I'd love to know what your Doctor looks like to go with it. In terms of making the sonic, what are your goals? 3d printing can be an effective way of making props, but obviously won't have the exact heft of a metal version. Are you looking to commission someone to make it for you or produce it yourself? There's a seller on Etsy who does custom metal sonics with lights and all in, but with price tags to match.

What an interesting design! I'd love to know what your Doctor looks like to go with it. In terms of making the sonic, what are your goals? 3d printing can be an effective way of making props, but obviously won't have the exact heft of a metal version. Are you looking to commission someone to make it for you or produce it yourself? There's a seller on Etsy who does custom metal sonics with lights and all in, but with price tags to match.
Hi! Thanks to reply me. ^^ I'm thinking about a 3d printing for a commission (Also i'm wonder if that one can have lights and sounds) and... my doctor is... her:

thedoctor.png

Last edited:
Very cool. Interesting design! I'm working on a custom Sonic Screwdriver for my original Doctor too. I have thoughts on my own costume as well... Hence my screen name 13doctorwho.

Make the blue part with gold gears 2d first. Then you can wrap it around a rigid pipe. If you take a flat pic and 3d print it, you can change the levels/height of the print based on the darkness or lightness of the 2d sections.

Draw it at full scale with EXACT measurements.

I would plan it in sections:
The blue/purple cloudy area.
The crown and base with support bars.
The pink tip
The blue with gears
The gold skirt
Gold Pincers
Green bulb.

Ignore me if I am being wayyyyyy too complicated

Good luck in you quest. Plenty of xp awaits.

Make the blue part with gold gears 2d first. Then you can wrap it around a rigid pipe. If you take a flat pic and 3d print it, you can change the levels/height of the print based on the darkness or lightness of the 2d sections.

Draw it at full scale with EXACT measurements.

I would plan it in sections:
The blue/purple cloudy area.
The crown and base with support bars.
The pink tip
The blue with gears
The gold skirt
Gold Pincers
Green bulb.

Ignore me if I am being wayyyyyy too complicated

Good luck in you quest. Plenty of xp awaits.
Thank you ^^

I would like to make the sounds a little bit different about the original series. I think that it could have galaxy, stars, "fantasy sparkles" sounds maybe. And can be similar to 13TH Doctor's Sonic, with Diagnostic Sound effect Effect (IDK if the crystal rotating on the top would be viable.)

sonic.png

Attachments

• sonic.png
    sonic.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 23
What I would recommend, looking at the design... I would 3d model it with out the gears and stars to make the modeling and printing practical. I would cut those detail on permanent vinyl with a Cricut (or equivalent). The rest seems strait forward to model.

The electronics is another matter. What you describe is a little ambitious. Most people that put electronics in their sonic screwdriver design use the electronics from one of the toys.

What I would recommend, looking at the design... I would 3d model it with out the gears and stars to make the modeling and printing practical. I would cut those detail on permanent vinyl with a Cricut (or equivalent). The rest seems strait forward to model.

The electronics is another matter. What you describe is a little ambitious. Most people that put electronics in their sonic screwdriver design use the electronics from one of the toys.
In first case, Yes, I would put the 13th Doctor's Sonic Sounds, but ... Thinking more of the personality of my doctor, I wonder that it would be a little weird, I don't know. and about the features it will have are: diagnostic, default and a special one to stun the enemy with Electrical injury. I also plan to adapt something from the second Sonic of the 12th Doctor

Hey guys! How are you all? So... i have a question about my own Doctor OC prop: Her Sonic Wand! Okay... here we go:

You are viewing the big gold star seletor with the other small colorful stars around that "wheel" (yellow, pink and blue)? Well... There it would be like a selector where each color of the star represents a sonic function. And when my Doctor rotates it, with her thumb and index fingers, she will activate a specific function and thus change the color of the crystal up there.

Now I ask: is there a way to do this in "real life" or will I need to change this detail?
IMG_20220330_171307_738.jpg

Maybe make the crystal clear and change the color by using an RGB Led. The crystal color would be the color you set the LED for. The only down side is when the LED is off the crystal will be clear.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back