Obscure TV Prop - "Probe" Scanner

Harbinger

There was a TV series back in 1972-1973 called "Search" (pilot movie was called "Probe") that made a big impression on me as a kid. THe agents carried a scanner that had some impressive capabilities. There's a picture on Wikipedia, here. Scroll down to' Probe Hardware' to see the scanner.

Does anyone have any info on this thing?

That link while active doesn't list the guy who used to sell them on Ebay. Years ago when the show was still on the air a fellow in Palos Verdes Peninsula was making and selling the Probe/Search necklaces out of his home. I used to have one but lost it when I lost my storage with so many other collectibles.

At one time he also sold the ring with is even rarer.

Its funny how no one thought about cell phones and how different all the communication devices we saw in comics and movies didn't come to pass, from Dick Tracy's video wristwatch( still waiting for the iphone wrist phone ? ) to the U.N.C.L.E. communicator, the probe pendant and many more.

Its funny how no one thought about cell phones and how different all the communication devices we saw in comics and movies didn't come to pass, from Dick Tracy's video wristwatch( still waiting for the iphone wrist phone ? ) to the U.N.C.L.E. communicator, the probe pendant and many more.

Back in the 90s, they used to showoff a wrist cell phone at EPCOT at Disney World. The big problem was the short battery life, still a problem today. If they ever get the battery problem licked you probably would see wrist phones, or radios.

I remember that the TV Guide magazine had a very nice, large photo of the scanner when the show was being broadcast back in the 70s. Not many photos from the show are around. Until the dvd-r the show hadn't been seen in the U.S. since it's network run. For some reason it was tagged for international syndication only.

David.

That show made an impression on me too. But these links aren’t working for me. No doubt the necklace camera would make an excellent prop.

Yahoo Groups has been discontinued, so the links there (and all the info that had been collected) are gone. There is now a Facebook group with most of the old members and some of the content:

I'm sure if you ask there, someone can post a good picture of the prop.

I created a .stl to 3d print for this. It would still need some work after printing but a good start.

Last edited:
I printed this on my Ender 3 with the Fat Dragon Games mini profile.

It comes out pretty good for this type of printer, but I'm going to have to find someone who has an SLA printer to run it off. There's just too much tiny detail.

Scanner printed.png

I printed this on my Ender 3 with the Fat Dragon Games mini profile.

It comes out pretty good for this type of printer, but I'm going to have to find someone who has an SLA printer to run it off. There's just too much tiny detail.

View attachment 1611860
I'd like a couple of these. When you find a printer that supports the details, how would I go about getting a couple from you? And how much will it run me?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back