Nostromo Uniform Patterns?

nil13

Hello everyone.

I'm starting to piece together a Dallas costume, and I'm having a hard time with the pants and shirt. Sure, I could modify OTR pieces but in this case finding a shirt that isn't a poly blend is proving difficult. They just don't wrinkle right.

I have a bit of sewing experience, but I don't really feel up to creating a pattern from scratch. So I'm wondering if there are any patterns out there? If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a pattern to deviate from? I've seen some patterns for the little bits and bobs but not the base as those seem to be for OTR mods.

Thanks

Yes, the uniform shirt and pants. OTR modification was the original plan, except I haven't been able to find a usable OTR shirt. The OTR shirts I have found require quite a bit of alteration like pocket removal and replacement to the point that I might as well just sew up a shirt and get the material I want.

Thanks for that link, that's a nice build. I've gone through I don't know how many pages of Nostromo threads and it's easy to get lost down the rabbit hole. lol.

You're talking about the uniform shirt? Wet Celery has done an excellent job modifying an OTR shirt here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=242694&page=2&p=3729073&viewfull=1#post3729073 Hers was a cotton Gap shirt.

Conversely, I bought an OTR shirt a few years ago that was 'similar' but not exact. All I did was add patches to it.

Aw gee, thanks for the rec Mike! :$

Yes, the uniform shirt and pants. OTR modification was the original plan, except I haven't been able to find a usable OTR shirt. The OTR shirts I have found require quite a bit of alteration like pocket removal and replacement to the point that I might as well just sew up a shirt and get the material I want.

Thanks for that link, that's a nice build. I've gone through I don't know how many pages of Nostromo threads and it's easy to get lost down the rabbit hole. lol.

Personally I think the alteration is worth the little amount of effort it requires (and the only route if you're a newb like me). As you'll have probably read from my thread, it's quite a straightforward and quick process. The changes are very, very minor on the grand scale of things. If you make it from scratch, it'll undoubtedly take longer... however, if you do have the sewing experience then of course, you are better off by far to make it all yourself - better quality, fit, attention to detail and fun! As for pattern, you could just work from a preexisting shirt pattern...? The Nostromo shirt seems fairly standard anyway, minus the added extras... only difference is snaps rather than buttons.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back