Noob in Distress!!!

Deezey

i really want to create my own pred mask, however i dont have a oven to make the latex. My problem is that i need a blank mask , alll help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Have someone help you make a lifecast of your head
2) Buy some clay: oil-based is usually the best choice
3) Sculpt the predator head over the lifecast of your head, making the sculpture about 1 inch larger than you want the finished version to be (latex shrinks)
4) Make a mold of the head in two or more parts out of plaster or UltraCal 30 cement
5) Get the clay out of the mold completely
6) Pour the slush latex into the mold, filling it completely. Let it set for 30 minutes than pour it out back into the container
7) Wait several days for it to dry
8) Remove it from the mold
9) Paint it
10) Wear it

Dwell only 30 minutes? Hope you want a super thin mask.

Thats a good point, Scott. I have heard two schools of thought on getting a thicker mask. Leave it in longer before pouring out and do the 30 minute dwell but do it multiple times with time inbetween. Whats yours or anyones take on this?

From my expierience I pour the mold @ halfway full and slush coat the entire inside then poor it out. Mist some water all over the inside and refill halfway again and slush coat again. This lowers the chances of bubbles. After two slushes I fill the mold up and let it dwell 1- 2 hours. Now, all this depends on the latex you have, the outside temp and humidity, and the mold material. Trial and error or read the paperwork on the latex and see how it reacts.

There are many ways to casting a latex mask and the trial and error is very true...it all depends on how much latex you have at hand aswell as to fill the mould up takes a few letres lol.
What I do is clean the mould and put the two halves together, making sure that they are in place and secured very tightly so they will not come apart under pressure....then I brush thickend latex into and over the join/seam....give this thickened latex a few hours to cure a bit....then fill up the mould with water...let the mould soak it up for 5 mins or so...then pour out the water and pour in the latex.....the moist mould walls should repel any air bubbles but you must try to pour the latex in an uninterupted stream as if it glugs as you pour...you'll be putting air into it.
I fill up the mould to just below the neck so I can tilt the mould to make sure all trapped air is released....then fill it right up.....I allow the mould to dwell for about 45 mins.....then pour it all out and allow the mould to drain over a bucket for about 15 mins.....then I set up a fan pointing in the mould and blow dry (cold) for about 30- 45 mins until the latex starts to gel......any longer and the latex tends to shrink and come away from the mould....you want to avoid this so cut that time down in the summer lol.....I then repeat the filling/emtying stage about 4-5 times...then finally let it dry for a few days.
Gives you a nice thick mask......if thats what you want....If you want a thinner one.....only repeat the filling process a couple of times.....but i'd say three is probably the minimum as even tho the latex will appear to be quite thick...it will thin as it dries and you'll be suprized how thin it actually turns out.

Dwell only 30 minutes? Hope you want a super thin mask.

Um... oopsie? Haha. Proof that I haven't actually done before. I was just trying to give the guy a general idea of all of the steps involved.

Thanks for the tips, though. I really do want to make a mask eventually and the information that you guys gave helps a lot.

Proof that I haven't actually done before. I was just trying to give the guy a general idea of all of the steps involved.

Not being rude but giving advice something you know nothing about is not the thing to do. Trying to help is great but, give a heads up that you dont accually have expierience doing it. Misinformation causes many problems and sometimes money in a situation like this.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back