Ninth Gate Balkan Lecture Lobby Card

You're welcome! I haven't made a cropped postcard like version because I'm not sure what color looks closest to the movie version (I personally think 3 or 5, I used color match with a movie screenshot to create 3). Btw I also uploaded a version with colors that look a bit closer to the photograph Balkan has in his office, but again anyone feel free to make your own version

View attachment 1665782
Framed:

FRAME.jpg

Screenshot

screenshot frame.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you RafalFett.
Yes, the one from the movie looks huge. I'm getting too short of space so I got an A2 size (big enough but not as big as the screenused one). Besides these frames aren't exactly cheap and "the bigger the size, the bigger the price" :)

Sorry to necro this!
Guys, I'm coming late to the party, but I'm in awe of your dedication and I've read through this entire thread with such eagerness that I don't think I've ever been as immersed in an online discussion. Thank you for this!

I've watched the film over a hundred times and I think there is a lot of amazing work put into it - I even play scenes from it in class every year (I teach semiotics). It was only recently when an invested student asked what was depicted on doctor Balkan's door that I realized I've never really thought about it - and so I stumbled upon this thread. So thank you once again and as curiosity is its own reward, I hope yours keeps motivating you toward new adventures!

EDIT:
I just realized that I might be able to take advantage of your collective expertise, seeing as you've seen over a hundred thousand wood carvings by various artists!
I have been thinking for years about a tattoo in that style, but never found something that really 'clicked'. At one point I even considered a page from our beloved film (was torn between pg. 1 or 9), then at another time thought about one of the works of Gustave Dore. I decided against it back then because I want to have a wolf in there, seeing as it's my family's crest (and close to my family name), and while I do like Dore a lot (have reproductions of 2 of his works on my wall as I write this) he doesn't use symbolism as layered as I'd want it (or as inducive of interpretation).
BUT if any of you have seen a meaningful carving that includes a wolf and has layered symbolism it might just be the perfect image I've been looking for! If not - my search continues :)
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Sorry to necro this!
Guys, I'm coming late to the party, but I'm in awe of your dedication and I've read through this entire thread with such eagerness that I don't think I've ever been as immersed in an online discussion. Thank you for this!

I've watched the film over a hundred times and I think there is a lot of amazing work put into it - I even play scenes from it in class every year (I teach semiotics). It was only recently when an invested student asked what was depicted on doctor Balkan's door that I realized I've never really thought about it - and so I stumbled upon this thread. So thank you once again and as curiosity is its own reward, I hope yours keeps motivating you toward new adventures!

EDIT:
I just realized that I might be able to take advantage of your collective expertise, seeing as you've seen over a hundred thousand wood carvings by various artists!
I have been thinking for years about a tattoo in that style, but never found something that really 'clicked'. At one point I even considered a page from our beloved film (was torn between pg. 1 or 9), then at another time thought about one of the works of Gustave Dore. I decided against it back then because I want to have a wolf in there, seeing as it's my family's crest (and close to my family name), and while I do like Dore a lot (have reproductions of 2 of his works on my wall as I write this) he doesn't use symbolism as layered as I'd want it (or as inducive of interpretation).
BUT if any of you have seen a meaningful carving that includes a wolf and has layered symbolism it might just be the perfect image I've been looking for! If not - my search continues :)
Thank you in advance!

A person here makes the NINE GATES book replica. I ordered one from him and requested the "Dante's Inferno" text inside the book. Dante's Inferno is about the nine circles of hell, which clearly goes with and inspired the Nine gates.

Apologies for the necrobump...

Did anyone ever identify this image?

My searching has come to an end - I've searched every phrase, woodcuts, demons woodcuts, angel woodcuts, heresy woodcut, witch woodcut, judgment day woodcuts, crusade woodcuts, Spanish inquisition woodcuts, same words but with etchings and engravings, Albrecht Durer, and every person/book that Balkan mentions in his lecture etc.... etc.... etc... etc.. searching old books / bibles, revelations etc and I've never been able to turn up anything. I've fallen in love with a lot of the art I've found, but I've never been successful in finding the image that was used on the lobby card....zilch .... nada...

Please say someone has identified it... or am I destined to go on with this haunting me :D I've spent over a year, searching at least three times a week for 1-2 hours each occasion..... and nothing :/
Here ya go ...
Apologies for the necrobump...

Did anyone ever identify this image?

My searching has come to an end - I've searched every phrase, woodcuts, demons woodcuts, angel woodcuts, heresy woodcut, witch woodcut, judgment day woodcuts, crusade woodcuts, Spanish inquisition woodcuts, same words but with etchings and engravings, Albrecht Durer, and every person/book that Balkan mentions in his lecture etc.... etc.... etc... etc.. searching old books / bibles, revelations etc and I've never been able to turn up anything. I've fallen in love with a lot of the art I've found, but I've never been successful in finding the image that was used on the lobby card....zilch .... nada...

Please say someone has identified it... or am I destined to go on with this haunting me :D I've spent over a year, searching at least three times a week for 1-2 hours each occasion..... and nothing :/
This what you're looking for?

Attachments

• Book Cover.png
    Book Cover.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 11
Just to say, I contact many of the prop guys they work on the movie and nobody remember where they add the picture. Even Roman Polanski didn't remember (yes I phone him :love:) So members, It's our Graal, this Picture. Continue the quest !

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back