Ninth Gate Balkan Lecture Lobby Card

Never seen on screen but supposed to be the brand Liana smokes. Anyway I think it'll go well with the rest of the film's prop collection
Once it's very hard to find these cigarettes I decided to make a pack and a matching black cigarette.

View attachment 1681004View attachment 1681005View attachment 1681006View attachment 1681007View attachment 1681008View attachment 1681009

Screenshots:

View attachment 1681010
View attachment 1681011You
Never seen on screen but supposed to be the brand Liana smokes. Anyway I think it'll go well with the rest of the film's prop collection
Once it's very hard to find these cigarettes I decided to make a pack and a matching black cigarette.

View attachment 1681004View attachment 1681005View attachment 1681006View attachment 1681007View attachment 1681008View attachment 1681009

Screenshots:

View attachment 1681010
View attachment 1681011
Thats killer man they came out awesome !

Sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly: I understood that you were asking if I created the pack from scratch
I used a real pack from any brand to create the Black Devil pack
Google searched for Black Devil pics (several angles) and "composed" it all
If I mastered PhotoShop as I'd like to the result would be much better
Anyway I'm happy how it turned out
These packs are very hard to find (empty or not). At least I couldn't find one (Europe or U.S.)

Sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly: I understood that you were asking if I created the pack from scratch
I used a real pack from any brand to create the Black Devil pack
Google searched for Black Devil pics (several angles) and "composed" it all
If I mastered PhotoShop as I'd like to the result would be much better
Anyway I'm happy how it turned out
These packs are very hard to find (empty or not). At least I couldn't find one (Europe or U.S.)
You selling them ! Lol Really awesome work man .

Thanks for stepping in. Now I know who the owner is.
As to the pic, I need to get a close frame and print it reduced (the frame on the desk is not that big)
Thanks

MAKE BELIEVE - That cigarette pack looks great and its name fit perfectly with the movie's theme.
I did a bit of search to see when these cigarettes were first introduced, and the earliest info I got is 2001.

According to the screenplay:
LIANA takes a slim gold cigarette case from her purse, extracts a
Black Russian, and lights it with a gold Dupont.

But the Sobranie Black Russian cigarettes does not look like the screencap below:
s-l1600 (3).jpg recently-got-some-sobranie-black-russian-for-the-first-time-v0-lr1crr0l0y991.png

(Ad from 1963 and how it looks today)

The cigarette has 2 gold rings near the black filter with no writing or logo (?):
Liana's Cigarette.png

It is highly probable that the cigarette was made specially by the prop department.

Good research RafalFett! Thanks.
Maybe they did not stick to the script. But on that PIC is not a Black Devil indeed (nor a Russian). Or has you say the prop dept made it for the movie.

I based my research on IMDB (villains also mentions Devil's)

From villains.fandom.com:

The name of the cigarettes she smokes is the Devil's mark, a clear allusion to the nature of the movie.

In the novel, Liana has red hair, she is the head of the Alexandre Dumas Club and she is after Corso to recuperate from him an unfinished draft from him while in the movie, she leads a satanic cult. This is because the Dumas plot is absent from the movie.

From IMDB:

The cigarettes that Liana Telfer smokes are called Black Devils.

I believe that's one of my Frankenstein pictures from long ago. Needs clean up, but if you print 1:1 and shrink it, it's not as horrible as it looks enlarged.
Yeah, that was the one you did for me. When I enquired if anyone knew the origins of the photo, I had emailed Soubrier to see if they'd sell the screen used photo frame. Sadly, never got a reply :( I even asked in French... :(

Hey Makebelieve, I remember in the mid-90's, some music magazine in the UK & ROI, had a big piece on a cigarette brand / box, that was created to promote people stopping smoking, but my memory was that it was "Black Death", but could have been misremembering... and in reality it was Black Devil. The cigarettes got so popular, that they had to stop, so might only have been around for a year or two. I think it was "Select" magazine from the mid 90s. A search on archive dot org, might show the piece on the cigarettes. Was wild. Must have been 1994 - 1996, as I stopped buying Select around 95 and just bought Kerrang/Metal Hammer instead.

I'm going to see if I can find that article .... oh no.....

Edit: seems there's a wiki on them and they were just called "Death" in a black pack Death (cigarette) - Wikipedia

Can't lie, I'd love a Black Devils cigarette pack!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back