Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here.
I would make the el shapes even smaller, as once its behind the rubber, it will look bigger than it actually is, although not sure what it will look like behind your clear soles.
You need to leave a good gap around the edges to glue the clear soles back on.

Thanks airair. Yes very important to have gluing surface especially with these clear outriggers.

Good luck with the EL cutting.

I'll be using a sharp blade instead of scissors on a cutting mat. Been watching a few YouTubes on this and they all seem to suggest best results from this method. .

I was at the airport today and got asked about my V2s by someone who thought they were real, again. No-one ever asks 'are they fake mags?' So I told him to check out Aliexpress and search for Mag. Anyone else get this so much? I'm the only guy in Melbourne who's got them apparently. Well I've never seen anyone else with them. Maybe if I went to Supanova this year I might, lol but I just wear them as regular sneakers not a costume.

Not really, most people don't seem to look at shoes here in Brisbane...or maybe they are just being polite so as not to start something :p
Having said that, I only know of 5 sets of grey and one set of black MAG in my city. They all came out for SN last year.

I'll be using a sharp blade instead of scissors on a cutting mat. Been watching a few YouTubes on this and they all seem to suggest best results from this method. .

Not really, most people don't seem to look at shoes here in Brisbane...or maybe they are just being polite so as not to start something :p
Having said that, I only know of 5 sets of grey and one set of black MAG in my city. They all came out for SN last year.

A sharp blade on cutting mat is good, less chance of something going wrong, although i have used scissors sometimes.

A sharp blade on cutting mat is good, less chance of something going wrong, although i have used scissors sometimes.

Cool. I'll go with that. Revised the shape a bit. You can see the older shape poking out in white.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NIKE MAG EL Rv2.jpg
    NIKE MAG EL Rv2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 523
cavx clear shoe goo is good for glueing the clear soles? Can I also build onto the soles you sent with the shoe goo?

Last edited by a moderator:
@cavx clear shoe goo is good for glueing the clear soles? Can I also build onto the soles you sent with the shoe goo?

I never actually got around to testing Shoe Goo with the clear elastomer. I would have to say it is OK because it is made for gluing shoes back together. Unlike Superglue, there won't be any fumes that might cause the white build up on the surface. It just takes way longer to cure so make sure you use masking tape to hold the parts in place.

@cavx clear shoe goo is good for glueing the clear soles? Can I also build onto the soles you sent with the shoe goo?
I know sneakerheads usually use Barge Infinity cement for gluing clear soles back on. There are some videos of it in action on YouTube if you want to check it out.

-Nick

I looked for Barge Infinity Cement on YouTube and found THIS video for re-attaching soles. It is good, but there are a few points to know about attaching the MAG soles as they have wings on the sides that soles on most shoes don't have. He explains about starting at the sole and that makes sense. What I found with the MAG soles is you need to start at the front and sides because the MAG soles are two pieces and don't fully extend to either the front or the back of the mid-sole. The wings are the crucial visual aspect of the MAG sole must be sitting in their recess properly.

I like his idea of using shoe laces to clamp. With the last set I did, I used masking tape and that doesn't really have the tensile strength you need to clamp the part. It is great as a temporary holder, but the shoe lace looks like it will be a better alternative.

yeah ive heard of barge before but i figure clear shoe goo would be best for the clear soles cavx i had the idea of painting the sole under the clear soles white instead of the dove grey i used for the midsole maybe that will give the clear soles the movie look im after

yeah ive heard of barge before but i figure clear shoe goo would be best for the clear soles @cavx i had the idea of painting the sole under the clear soles white instead of the dove grey i used for the midsole maybe that will give the clear soles the movie look im after

The under lying surface does change the look of the clears where the factory dark grey does not look as good a lighter grey.

Those looks awesome. Just needs clonesprops buckle and cavx's clear soles and you will be golden. I really like the movie accurate dotted splatter instead of the 2011 streaks.

Good job. The slimmer toe and the lighter grey mid-sole really make these.

Vormz those look amazing!

care to share what paint/colors you used on the midsole, it looks great!

Those looks awesome. Just needs clonesprops buckle and cavx's clear soles and you will be golden. I really like the movie accurate dotted splatter instead of the 2011 streaks.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really happy how it turns.
I just have to "frost" the leds area and maybe whiten the yellowing sole. I want it to be closer to the screen used than the RDs.
I used Angelus Turquoise paint for the splatters and Mag lettering and Angelus white paint to lighten the grey sole:
IMG_2768.JPG

Follow this tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZxkCac3e9k&feature=youtu.be
It's simple and no peeling or cracking for now, but I only display them...

nice work on the midsole, Vorms. I repainted the midsole on a pair of mine because they were yellow and the lighter colour looks better. Never did get around to speckling them though. That Angelus turqoise might be the way to go for me when I get a pair of Cavx's clear outsoles, as I will paint under the clear then. I see your outsoles became as yellow as mine. It's such a pity they do that.

Im waiting til thursday to jump on a pair of v2s or not, its my girls b-day so i have to wait and see how light my wallet gets lol hopefully ill have a pair soon and ill try painting the under sole white to get the movie look with the clear soles cavx sent me. Im really hoping it gives the look Im wanting considering his soles dont yellow. It be fantastic to have a nice movie shoe to wear and display.

To be precise, the turquoise looks just a bit more greenish in real life. More green than the original V2's MAG letters but I really prefer this color!

Really nice work Vormz!

I'm hoping my midsoles come out looking at nice as those. I love the splatter on yours.

20150222_213246.jpg

I went for the Tamiya XF Sky Grey acrylic paint. Did 3 coats last night and have given the shoe a bit of a flex and there was no cracking at all so hoping this holds up. Checked this morning and they have dried nice and smooth.

Just got the splatter to do later then a coat of Clear Tamiya Acrylic again to seal it all up. Putting a lot of faith in Tamiya products here.

After this, I think I just have to redo my electronics (Still waiting on my rechargeable batteries from China) and I might actually be finished!

Really nice work Vormz!

I'm hoping my midsoles come out looking at nice as those. I love the splatter on yours.

I went for the Tamiya XF Sky Grey acrylic paint. Did 3 coats last night and have given the shoe a bit of a flex and there was no cracking at all so hoping this holds up. Checked this morning and they have dried nice and smooth.

Just got the splatter to do later then a coat of Clear Tamiya Acrylic again to seal it all up. Putting a lot of faith in Tamiya products here.

After this, I think I just have to redo my electronics (Still waiting on my rechargeable batteries from China) and I might actually be finished!

I'm sure the result will be dope!
The secret of the random splatters is an old toothbrush or use a really really thin brush and do some random dots. I did both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back