Newbie with a Iron Man MK. III Pep Helmet

Re: Keeping the Iron man faceplate in line with the jaw

just use the small bull clips on the same seam but from inside the helmet, to keep the face plate and helmet together while resining

Also, you might want to fiberglass as much as possible (then let cure) before removing the clips. It gives a better chance of a snug fit.

Re: Another Newbie with a Iron Man MK. III Pep Helmet

instead of vaseline i folded strips of aluminum foil between the pieces before i resined them attached with clips on the inside. then fiberglassed and they came apart easily and are very well fit

yeah I resined , fiberglassed and Bondo'ed them as 1 piece so when I cut them with my dremel I am sure they will fit together nicely

my first try I resined the faceplate separate from the rest and it did not fit anymore..
so in my opinion making it as 1 helmet and then cut it in pieces is the best option
ah... that sounds like the correct way to go about it. i didn't really think about warping, but i know what you guys mean.

this are great tips and advise I cant thank you all enough, the helmet above in the picture I reckon now I will use for a test helmet and ive already started cutting out two more and giong to use all the advise mentioned in this thread.

Im going to proceed with teh helmet and just see what comes of it :)

keep the advise coming also :)

well I invested a few euro/dollars and decided to get a few bits today, Stealth uses smooth-cast 321 in his videos for hardening because of its low fumes etc so I could not get the 5 litre one so I had to get the trial version, hopefully ill get a helmet or two out of it.

No bondo in Ireland here im afreaid so ive read alot about U-POL and how good a finish it leave so again this is all trial and error so lots of luck needed ha!!

just a quick question, on the U-POL it says mix 100 ratio filler to 2 ratio hardener, how would people manage to do this correctly?

cheers
DSC05474.jpg

DSC05475.jpg

DSC05476.jpg

hey Stealth, I got some on Ebay and just waiting on that to arrive. Illdo the next helmet in that cloth for sure, im sitting here trying to smooth the inside of the helmet, nightmare stuff haha even with a dremel.

Some parts of the fiberglass mat did not manage to get resined so its still soft so it looks strange.

Where did you get the U-pol and smooth on?... It's never easy finding supplies in Ireland!

Cork. I was thinking B&Q was my best bet. There just so happens to be a halfords close to the B&Q :)

I'll have to go check after the leaving cert. Thanks!

thats good so if its right beside you and good luck with your leaving :)

Cork. I was thinking B&Q was my best bet. There
just so happens to be a halfords close to the B&Q :)

I'll have to go check after the leaving cert. Thanks!

anybody got any ideas with the bits fo fiberglass mat thats left over the edges that is not hardened, how do you remove them? as they look really bad

they really look bad close up as does the whole build haha im really hoping the bondo stage sorts this out or its back to the drawing board as they say.

anyway please let me know how you guys remove these parts of fiberglass mat, from now on ill be using the cloth thats for sure.

DSC05477.jpg

DSC05478.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another Newbie with a Iron Man MK. III Pep Helmet (problem pic page 2)

small scizzors?

I usually resin a part of the overlapping cloth so it gets hard aswell and then it's easier to eather cut of or saw off with my dremel

Keep up your hard work! So, much to learn on this site...with helpful souls to give aid.

went over the loose bits with smooth-cast to make them hard so hopfully they will cut of easier :)

What weight fibre glass cloth did you use ?

use an emery board/ nail file (pick up a pack from the "dollar" store) sand at the point just behind where its soft, on an angle (from the inside-out, NOT from outside-in) it will cut the cloth on the edge.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back