New Rocketeer kit build

Surprise, surprise surprise! (say it with a Gomer voice!) The helmet is drying but since I sprayed it in the driveway, now my solid black mustang has a coat of gold metal flake, OMG! So next time, I guess I'm painting in the yard shed!

Luckily I took the car to the wash bay and I think it pretty much washed away. It was kinda neat in the way it evenly covered the car! I was at least 10 feet away but I guess the wind carried it.

First off, many thanks to members Valor and Mr.Spider for suggesting the rub and buff. For me it was a bit of a challenge to get the right "consistency", there is a point where too much in the same place just becomes blotchy looking. Luckily, it is fairly easy to remove with laquer thinner and go over it again.

Her are a few pics of the helmet with just the final coat of Krylon paint ( It got 2.5 coats of this with a wet sand in between each ).

IMAG1118.jpgIMAG1120.jpgIMAG1121.jpgIMAG1122.jpg

Now, here are some in progress pics of the helmet showing the antique gold rub n buff.IMAG1123.jpgIMAG1124.jpgIMAG1125.jpgIMAG1126.jpgIMAG1127.jpg

I finished the rub n buff around 1 am, heated and installed (taped) lens in around 2:30 am, made an ugly looking liner out of the collar of an old winter coat and attached (taped, LOL) a chin strap in at 4 am. Why you ask? Because I am wearing this to Derby City Comic con in the morning, yahoo!

If anyone wants pics of that day, just give a shout. Future plans for the helmet is weathering, gluing in lens & a better liner.

With the helmet about 80% done, I am ramping up production on the jetpack. Next convention is in 13 days so time to get crackin! Here are some before and current pics of the jetpack shell and the laptop fan I found at biglots for 5 buckaroonies.IMAG0976.jpgIMAG1024.jpgIMAG1179.jpgIMAG1180.jpg

IMAG1178.jpgIMAG1175.jpgNext we have some black plastic bowls that I plan on attaching to the top of the engines to simulate a fuel tank....$1 for 4 at Wal-Mart. These will get painted brass I think, hoses will attach up here through some holes at the top.

Speaking of hoses, I found some coaxial cable with the braided wires but it seems very hard to work with and fragile at the same time. I have switched gears and bought some braided cord ($3) at a peddlers mall, and will have a go at painting this silver, with purple and blue metallic accents at the brass compression fittings near the engine connectors. What glue should I use to attach the brass pieces to the resin pieces? super glue or epoxy?

IMAG1181.jpgNow I need some serious help please! I have test painted some metallic chrome paint for the jetpack. In this picture, the top piece is just paint and the bottom piece was lightly sprayed with a clear gloss acrylic spray coating. The clear coat killed every bit of shine and makes the plastic look plain gray. There was a different "high-Gloss" version of the clear next to what I bought, would this be better? Or is there something else that will preserve the metallic shine? Any help would be much appreciated!

I had an incredibly awesome IMAG1172.jpgIMAG1174.jpgstroke of good fortune come my way yesterday. Ebay had a wested jacket go on sale last weekend and I grabbed it up. I was kinda scared buying a jacket without being able to try it on first, but it fits like a glove and it appears to be brand new, the label in the neck shows no wear at all!
This should really help pull this costume together nicely!

Here is a picture of the jacket I wore to the Derby City Con.....IMAG1159.jpg

What do people think are good jackets? I know that south beach (or whatever) one stinks

Depends on your budget really. I wouldn't say the South Beach one completely sucks. I have a customized one from them and its great considering the price. Its also light which is good for costuming. I also own a wested jacket. Its a beautiful jacket and the construction is great, however its darker than the screen used version. Magnoli Clothiers makes a excellent jacket called the "Secord Jacket". i bought a pair of boots from them and its first class. To my understanding the best on the market is a Predicta Jacket. Use the search feature to gather more info on it. If your adverse to owning a South Beach jacket checkout the seller Ind-sale on eBay offering them. The feedback on them has been very good. Hope this helps.

What do people think are good jackets? I know that south beach (or whatever) one stinks

it depends on your budget....sbl is probably the safest route to go for people that cant afford the expensive jackets....

here is a rocketeer screen accurate and budget costume tutorial i did several years ago about different jackets on the market...its kinda outdated...i need to add more information soon...i been super busy
http://www.therpf.com/f24/screen-accurate-budget-rocketeer-costume-tutorial-120337/

the best jacket on the market is the predicta jacket...unfortunately i believe it is discontinued.....the other two jackets i would recommend are the abbyshot and the wested....

as for the boots....my only recommendation is the dehner boots or if you are on a budget then you can find a cheap pair of calvary boots for about 100 on ebay

Last edited:
Yes the Wested is an absolutely beautiful jacket. Its constructed very nicely and suitable for daily riding. Also the more you wear it the leather will break in becoming more comforable. I have worn mine twice briefly if that. Currently its displayed on my life size Rocketeer display. I acquired extra brass buttons for when I attach the leather harness. Figure I'll sow the two dummy buttons directly to the bib with a button backing. If you need buttons send me a private message. They are extremely close to the originals.

Been really busy lately, here are a few in progress pics

IMAG1199.jpgIMAG1222.jpgIMAG1231.jpgIMAG1270.jpgIMAG1298.jpgIMAG1302.jpgIMAG1303.jpgIMAG1304.jpg

Right now the shell is back on the paint rack post painting of the gold tips. Used the brass alclad paint using a iwata eclipse airbrush on a hot muggy night in the garage, it turned out fantastic. Next step I plan on an ovet of future floor wax to protect the finish, any tips and or hints are welcomed!

hi! great job...where did you get this kit... does it have the fins for the cone...and when will we see the final pics...cant wait to see it...thanks...

i got all the costume bits all i need is the jetpack...made one for a party but would like the real deal...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back