NEW PICTURES!! (last page) - Razor Crest - 1:34 - Modified/lights - Build log. - FINISHED!

Hoplitespear

Sr Member
Hey everyone!

Back with a new project!!

Small intro, since last year I have been doing a course/school to re-educate myself and switch careers. The education center has a 3D printer that 'students'(in this case adults) can use. Its a Raise3D pro2 plus, a very expensive printer, industrial grade but a beast!

I didn't have any experience 3D printing and always wanted to do a 3D printed 'kit'. My main goal was to see how it can be used for model making, either for details or full kits. My plan in the future is a resin printer to print small details for my custom builds.

Now back to this project, being a huge fan of The Mandalorian and especially his ship the Razor Crest, I went looking online for files to print. I came along the gamebody website, bit the bullet and bought the STL files for the razor crest. (gamebody link).

After tinkering with the settings, learning about supports, rafts and so on I started the first print.
zYlR4jh.jpg

35ONUt9.jpg

This learned me the following important things:
-Yes 3D printing takes a huge amount of time this cockpit alone took 104 hours.
-This is going to be a huge model!
-MDF printing with the right settings, 0.1mm layer height and a good sturdy printer results in BEAUTIFULL QUALITY. Almost no build lines, very sharp details.

Now I am not going to let you wait the countless days, weeks to print all this stuff, or post pictures of every part on a printer. Basically this all happened in the 3 months prior to this post. Some numbers:

1003 Hours (42 days, but it took me over 2.5 months)
4.250 kg Filament (I used Polymaker, Polylite PLA 1.75mm Red and Grey)
0 fails (the Raise3D printer is amazing)

This is the result of these numbers:

XWM1D6K.jpg

So a quick word about the Gamebody model. Its modeled to be a
'snap kit'
opening doors on the side and back
cockpit interior
room for lights
retractable Landing gear.

My plan with this one is going to be waay more than this. Being blown away about FDM quality a good printer can push out this project hatched.
I am going to heavily modify some parts of this model:

-Landing gear: being retractable the details are simpel and not screen accurate. I'm going to build this model in the landed position so the complete landing gear will be detailed and altered to fit what is been seen in the series.

-Lights, I'm going to add lights to all the correct places and add a few more that don't have space cutout for them

-Cockpit: the cockpit has an interior but it lacks allot of detail. I'm going to remake the cockpit and instruments and add fiber optics to make it pop.

-Top : The top especially between the wings has no detail at all and is the wrong shape. I'm going to cutout this shape and alter it. For reference I'm going to use the scene where the Crest is lifted from the water after crash landing on the moon of Trask (s2e11)

-Overall: some extra greeblies along the whole model, especially the engines.

-Closing up: All doors will be closed and only used to acces electronics so no interior apart from the cockpit will be made.

-Other: I will sand and fix any problems the 3D printing left behind so after finish it will be impossible to tell the thing was printed.

I will show a detailed picture of every part I'm tackling and also plant to make this build log as complete as possible just like i did with my previous projects (see bottom of post). For me as reference, and for you to enjoy and follow!

Step1: Making blocks

I started yesterday evening by glueing up some parts that form a whole. This model is a puzzle and I want to join up any parts that already can be joined without hindering any of the modifications and changes I am going to make. Also to reduce the amount of parts laying on the table.

As a first I glued up the wings. These are printed in 4 blocks attached to each other with printed 'keys'. I also used super glue. When these are dry i can fill up the seam and sand flush.

Note: the red looks very reflective and shiny but in reality its way duller than perceived. Also the detail is hard to show on this material but will become more apparent after a primer coat.

LGnf7rw.jpg

uDGV3xM.jpg

YqbuugY.jpg

vPMYoNC.jpg

0yvsTR0.jpg

This is all I have done so far. I waited 3 months to start this thread, because waiting for prints is the most boring thing ever. But I couldn't wait longer to start the post :D.

Stay tuned for more! I'm planning on working allot on this now that all the prints are done.

Thanks for watching!

-Hopli

EDIT

OMG I forgot the best part :D. Before starting I did a dry fit to get a sense of scale and looks:

PdlUszM.jpg

XtUf1O5.jpg

lDunSCJ.jpg

My previous projects on the RPF:

Volvo FH16 truck. (sci fi kit bash)
Modded Revell Venator class star destroyer

Last edited:
Wow, that's going to be a beast! And zero fails over 1000 hours of printing?!? That's incredible!

Following with interest!

SB

Is it the same scale as the one from Haslab? If it's bigger, it's the right size !:D Great printer you've got there and, as you said, almost no ridges/lines into your prints. Eager to see your next update(y)(y)

Is it the same scale as the one from Haslab? If it's bigger, it's the right size !:D Great printer you've got there and, as you said, almost no ridges/lines into your prints. Eager to see your next update(y)(y)

Hey Joberg, I looked it up. Haslab puts theirs at 30" including main guns. so that is 76.2 cm in a sane measuring unit.
I quickly lined up all the parts of the my model including the cannons, and sorry to disappoint you :( but it only measures 69 cm. (27.16")

What is strange is that the width is the same. So either Haslab has a rounded number for effect. or one of the two models has a different width to length ratio? I didn't see any odd shape when i did my quick mockup. I'll be able to answer better to this when most of the chassis is put together.

For me its more than big enough tho!

-Hopli

Great to see the FDM version of this!

The fit of the body parts seems so much better with the FDM plastic compared to resin

It is huge

Looking great! I am about half done printing the same kit (and yeah, a lot of loooong prints). Excited to see how this turns out and see what tips I
can pick up for my build, nice work so far! That is one heck of a printer.

So really awesome what a 3D printer can do. Never have used one before.
So after everything is done, be real to the show and blow it up........ok, yeah, don't do that.
Maybe a cheap toy for fun.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the nice comments!

Great to see the FDM version of this!

The fit of the body parts seems so much better with the FDM plastic compared to resin

It is huge
It is huge, that is going to be a different way of modeling after doing my venator. The fit is good, it all aligns but will need adjusting here and there.

Looking great! I am about half done printing the same kit (and yeah, a lot of loooong prints). Excited to see how this turns out and see what tips I
can pick up for my build, nice work so far! That is one heck of a printer.
It is nog my personal printer though (sadly enough) but indeed it is really really good. A brand I hadn't heard of prior. More stuff and updates to come this evening!

-Hopli

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the comments!

Great to see you tackling this ship. I know you'll do an awesome job on it. Am subbed on this one for sure
Thanks for your vote of confidence and support m8!

I have a really busy week atm, but I got a tiny bit of work done. After glueing up the wing blocks, I decided to do some work on the engines first.

All the parts of one engine:
XNcU1wK.jpg

Assembled and sanded. I did not assemble the exhaust yet, they will need lights and it will be to hard to fit them properly if I glue them on. But they have a press fit for now.
iwJwUR7.jpg

I'm sanding all the parts with some sanding sponges to dull the shine, and get some grip for primer after some minor modifications.
This is NOT going to be screen exact. It gets blown up to much, repaired etc. It is going to be my own rendition but following the main looks of the razor crest.

The plan is to add some panels with angles to distort all the rectangular ones and make the engines a bit more assymetric.

The real first mod was adding a notch in the right intake of the engine.
this is visible here and in many other shots, the left engine does not have such notch.
This was a good test to see how good the PLA sanded, took a saw and knife and glues.

ceCEfT8.png

DidKDlv.jpg

UXqPS6i.jpg
ZmPVmq7.jpg

hG6bWkk.jpg
VeHdahj.jpg

Fixed some bad upper layers from the print:

pM35XxQ.jpg
Kn4rztM.jpg

Started adding some 'minor' detail, I will not go to wild with this, cause the Crest's engines are quite smooth and mainly panels. This ship has a few places like the roof where you can go mad on greeblies like the trenches of a MF. but as long as the panels are closed on the engines its very minor.

mVrxcDD.jpg
8iJcoui.jpg

I know this isn't much yet but I did not have that much time. I'm also taking time to make straight cuts and think about everything twice. This will be a big model and adding to much, or crooked cut lines will really destroy the look.

That is it for now, I'm out of the starting blocks, gaining momentum!! more to come!!!

I hope you enjoyed. -Hopli

EDIT: the pic's will get better with some primer. the red is so damn reflective -.-'

Last edited:
L
Hey everyone,

Thank you for the comments!

Thanks for your vote of confidence and support m8!

I have a really busy week atm, but I got a tiny bit of work done. After glueing up the wing blocks, I decided to do some work on the engines first.

All the parts of one engine:
View attachment 1413681

Assembled and sanded. I did not assemble the exhaust yet, they will need lights and it will be to hard to fit them properly if I glue them on. But they have a press fit for now.
View attachment 1413682

I'm sanding all the parts with some sanding sponges to dull the shine, and get some grip for primer after some minor modifications.
This is NOT going to be screen exact. It gets blown up to much, repaired etc. It is going to be my own rendition but following the main looks of the razor crest.

The plan is to add some panels with angles to distort all the rectangular ones and make the engines a bit more assymetric.

The real first mod was adding a notch in the right intake of the engine.
this is visible here and in many other shots, the left engine does not have such notch.
This was a good test to see how good the PLA sanded, took a saw and knife and glues.

View attachment 1413683
View attachment 1413684
View attachment 1413685View attachment 1413709
View attachment 1413686View attachment 1413710

Fixed some bad upper layers from the print:

View attachment 1413687View attachment 1413688

Started adding some 'minor' detail, I will not go to wild with this, cause the Crest's engines are quite smooth and mainly panels. This ship has a few places like the roof where you can go mad on greeblies like the trenches of a MF. but as long as the panels are closed on the engines its very minor.

View attachment 1413689View attachment 1413690

I know this isn't much yet but I did not have that much time. I'm also taking time to make straight cuts and think about everything twice. This will be a big model and adding to much, or crooked cut lines will really destroy the look.

That is it for now, I'm out of the starting blocks, gaining momentum!! more to come!!!

I hope you enjoyed. -Hopli

EDIT: the pic's will get better with some primer. the red is so damn reflective -.-'
looking great! You mentioned earlier that the top part of the ship, between the wings, is inaccurate - would you mind sharing any reference pictures that you have of this area? I’m building the same model and I always thought this part of the model was a bit plain so would love to get it looking better.

L

looking great! You mentioned earlier that the top part of the ship, between the wings, is inaccurate - would you mind sharing any reference pictures that you have of this area? I’m building the same model and I always thought this part of the model was a bit plain so would love to get it looking better.

The HasLabs one seems more accurate to the show. Supposedly that thing on top is an escape pod

I kind of stalled on building mine since I wanted to tackle mods to the top. I am just nor sure if I can get them as #d files or if I have to try cutting up the print. My fear with cutting up to print is that the resin may be too brittle for traditional hack jobs

FDM material would probably be better to do that with over resin

PULSE_SW_RAZORCREST_SQ_16_2000x (1).jpg

PULSE_SW_RAZORCREST_SQ_14_2000x.jpg

And here are some screen caps I got from the ILM Making of Razor Crest video
RC06.JPG

RC07.JPG

Hey, I will give you links as soon as poss answering on phone atm. But I'm gonna base it on the the view you get when its lifted out of the water. And some top views when its in combat near the end of s2. And Haslabs model has some nice top views as well.

Maybe this can help u along. Will post links asap.

-Hopli

Edit: i just saw analysers post lol. So yeah those are the references i meant. The print has it round instead of 2 straight angles. And basically al the rest is wrong. So Im gonna cut it out and make it from scratch as soon as i finish the engines. (Leds on the way btw)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back