New Pics of Luke's ROTJ reveal lightsaber

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThermalShock @ Feb 12 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]1417354[/snapback]</div>
Whether or not the prop in question was actually produced by LFL for the intention of filming isn't important to me at this point. I just love the design and idea of it. So I'm doing this piece no matter what. If other people want to get in on a run of these, great. That helps the cost on machining and so-fourth.

[/b]

This would be a great addition to any collection - count me in on this project as well.

Paul ô¿ô

I think the prop/replica is pretty cool, but I don't think a piston mechanism would add any practical value to a lightsaber, if it was a real, functional saber.
You might need the mechanism if you regularly open the saber to replace certain parts, such as a power cell. But the power cells are usually in the rear, behind the crystal... and I think the cubes on the pommel are there for that reason - for unscrewing the pommel to access the power cell.
If you are going to open it to with the internals, then I think it would be more practical to have it come apart altogether so that you would have more room to tinker.

I dunno, with those r2s in the background, and that blue harvest shirt... feels like a fan is responsible if you ask me. Whoever it was they did a great job on this reveal. Still, its a killer prop that I may consider purchasing even if its origins are questionable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(incrediPAUL @ Feb 18 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]1421492[/snapback]</div>
I dunno, with those r2s in the background, and that blue harvest shirt... feels like a fan is responsible if you ask me. Whoever it was they did a great job on this reveal. Still, its a killer prop that I may consider purchasing even if its origins are questionable.
[/b]

I believe the video clip is of a fan who visited Elstree recently and got to hold the prop. I don't think it was meant to be a vintage behind the scenes video clip.

Nothing except the shop is still pricing everything out. There's a crap-load of parts :D I'll have an update when I know more. Thanks for checking in ;)

First post (but I've been lurking for years, and am also a member of other prop forums, such as Rebelscum, ASAP, and The Trek Prop Zone).... Greetings.

Anyway...

While this Elstree saber certainly is a cool item, I don't necessarily think this is a real prop made for the film back in 1982.

Consider this:

Various sources have said that the scene the prop was to appear in was never even filmed.

Further, there appears to a a *green crystal* inside the prop, beneath the control box. There are two things wrong with this:

1. The whole notion of lightsabers containing colored crystals surely did not exist in 1982, when this prop would have been built (unless the crystal was added to the prop years--maybe even decades--later).

2. At the time this prop would have been built, everyone thought that Luke's new saber would have a blue blade. Even early trailers for Jedi show the saber with a blue blade. It wasn't changed to green until long after filming was done. So why would this "authentic" prop have a green crystal (or any crystals to begin with)?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThermalShock @ Mar 9 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]1436108[/snapback]</div>
Nothing except the shop is still pricing everything out. There's a crap-load of parts :D I'll have an update when I know more. Thanks for checking in ;)
[/b]

Any idea of what a run of this saber may end up costing? I know everything is getting priced out, but a rough ballpark would be greatly aprreciated. The saber in the pic looks pretty weahtered. Is that the look your going for or a pristine one?

Regardless of whether this is an actual prop or not, I still think it's amazing and would love to have a working replica in my collection.. :love

I wasn't able to see the clip because the YouTube link is no longer working but as far as mechanisms go, I think a spring loaded internal base that's released and pushed out when the lock ring above the gripe is turned would be the best way to go. The brass rods look simple enough to reproduce and a small LED behind the crystal is certainly achievable. Seems to me the biggest challenge will be in storing the power supply and designing easy access to change it. Getting the costs low enough so that you could make several of them will also be a challenge considering all the many parts it will require.

I'm definitely interested in buying one if you decide to produce them but I know how difficult it can be getting all the pieces together to get the project started. Please contact me if you'd like some help working out the design specs, finding parts or pricing and simply need help to pull this prop together.

FYI...here's more pics of the working prop from Elstree's site for future reference (scroll down to mid-page):

http://www.elstreeprops.com/Lightsabers_/lightsabers_.html

I'm very interested to see someone make one of these. Any updates on the pricing or pics of a work-in-progress prototype?

Re: New Pics of Luke's ROTJ reveal lightsaber

I guess it's time for the July bump. I really wish this project will get off the ground some day.:angel

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back