New Pics of Luke's ROTJ reveal lightsaber

off the topic for a second: When I first started getting into lightsabers when I was smaller, I always considered the saber with the copper painted section above the emitter as THE hero prop..The official prop. However over the years, its clear that they used the V2 saber more than the other. So to this day I consider that one the main lightsaber for ROTJ. It confuses me as to why they marked the non V2 saber as the hero version. Aside from that though, this is a super cool version of the hero saber.. :thumbsup

I have to agree with Chris on this one. To me, anything Elstree says can be taken with a grain of salt...you just never know with those guys. That being said, the clips with the saber in it just look really fishy to me, even down to the blue harvest t-shirt the guy is wearing. It wouldn't suprise me if we see this saber magically appear on ebay in a few months. It would be really cool if it was production made, but we'll probably never know for sure, so I'll stay suspicious. Either way, its a cool design and would be a fun project to replicate.

I swear I've seen the lightsaber building scene officially addressed. It was addressed when the latest Classic Original Star Wars was being released on DVD. I think Rick McCallum addressed this in some FAQ. What to excpect. If any cut scenes were going to be included. One of the questions was if the Luke saber building scene was going to be included. He said that it was never filmed.

Someone remember reading this somewhere? I think it was on the official site. Maybe a Hyperspace article.

Mark

Guys,

There were three of these sabers made, and I've had a play with one of them.
All I can say is that it's an amazing peice of work.
I spoke to the guys at elstree about this and he was going to offer help with this, but they may have changed thier mind with the slating on here.

The lightsaber itself, whatever, is a really nice piece.
It's surprising how much it expands as it comes apart while staying in one piece.
From what I know, apart from possibly the control box (because I really dont know), everything was machined.
Also, as you slide it back together, it makes a gorgeous fsssssp. sound.

Jon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheDisturbance @ Feb 13 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]1417798[/snapback]</div>
I swear I've seen the lightsaber building scene officially addressed. It was addressed when the latest Classic Original Star Wars was being released on DVD. I think Rick McCallum addressed this in some FAQ. What to excpect. If any cut scenes were going to be included. One of the questions was if the Luke saber building scene was going to be included. He said that it was never filmed.

Someone remember reading this somewhere? I think it was on the official site. Maybe a Hyperspace article.
[/b]

I wagely recall Mark Hamill talking about this scene in a Q&A on Hyperspace's message board, and Anthony Daniels in an interview for TFN, and in both they said that the scene was never filmed.
I don't have HS anymore, so I can't look that up, sorry. (and I can't get through to TFN.. what the.. )

who cares...so has anyone actually identified any of the parts yet? Isn't that what the thread was supposed to be about? I don't see the "Please tell me whether or not you think this saber and or scene is legit" thread...

A lot of people are obviously confused about what this saber even is and why they should be interested in identifying it's parts. If it was made for a scene never filmed, and never delivered to Lucasfilm I don't really see why it's any better than the other fan made reveal sabers seen here. It is extremely well made and looks really cool. I can see why people would want to make one like it, but I see no reason to be obsessed with duplicating it exactly.

Getting back to the original intent of the thread I don't see too many parts to identify in the pics.
It was made by some very talented guys in a machine shop and considering it's cousin the ROTJ Hero saber was completely custom (except for some LEDs, a couple screws, and a tri ring) I would guess this saber is about the same. There's some sort of center piston it expands on, a couple ridged brass rods, another ridged piece under the box area - all simple shapes to machine that were likely custom.

What exactly does anyone expect to identify?
A couple transistors?

Well, this is VERY interesting. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup :)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krugj @ Feb 13 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1418080[/snapback]</div>
Info on this scene and what was filmed, quotes from Anthony Daniels....and that matte painting IS for the lightsaber building scene, not from the sandstorm scene. It was going to be used earlier in the film to establish the landing site (the most obvious giveaway is the fact that it's a nice sunny clear shot, with no hint of sandstorm...

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?ca...2_articleid=428
[/b]

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally with ya, lonepigeon. Without the blessing of Lucas, I'm less motivated to pursue an exact replica of this piece, regardless of how nice it is. It's still a a great artform which should applied to other sabers, such as Obi Wan and Vader. Much more interesting than cut-aways, IMO.

There isn't much else to identify other than the capacitors and the dirt around it. ;)

i agree that if it was used, or might have been used, in filming that would make it cooler

but it's still pretty cool as it is

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Duck9000 @ Feb 13 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]1418112[/snapback]</div>
Well, this is VERY interesting. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup :)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krugj @ Feb 13 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1418080[/snapback]
Info on this scene and what was filmed, quotes from Anthony Daniels....and that matte painting IS for the lightsaber building scene, not from the sandstorm scene. It was going to be used earlier in the film to establish the landing site (the most obvious giveaway is the fact that it's a nice sunny clear shot, with no hint of sandstorm...

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?ca...2_articleid=428
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

That is good stuff.
It's interesting that official Lucasfilm book sources always label that matte painting as being from the sandstorm scene. Even John Knoll's 365 book from last year lists it as such which is obviously wrong when you see the storyboards on T'Bone's site.

I agree it's a cool saber and better than cutaways since it collapses back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are great pics - I've been tired at looking at pics with the guts blocked out. Of course whether we'll ever know the history of the piece or whether it's legit - I'm not sure we ever will. Still a cool version none the less :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThermalShock @ Feb 14 2007, 06:04 AM) [snapback]1418230[/snapback]</div>
Even though it's probably brass, my gut instinct is to be consistant with the hero saber. What's your opinions?[/b]
Personally I prefer brass. Copper is hell to clean if it oxidizes.

And put me down for one of this beauty.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThermalShock @ Feb 17 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1420903[/snapback]</div>
The copper would get a clear coating so it won't oxidize. The machinest is going over the specs as we speak. It will take about a week and we'll get word then. I dunno about you but I'm totally spyched about this project.
[/b]

Im definatly looking forward to this. Keep us updated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ti-el_Terall @ Feb 17 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]1420957[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThermalShock @ Feb 17 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1420903[/snapback]
The copper would get a clear coating so it won't oxidize. The machinest is going over the specs as we speak. It will take about a week and we'll get word then. I dunno about you but I'm totally spyched about this project.
[/b]

Im definatly looking forward to this. Keep us updated.
[/b][/quote]

I am interested in this too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThermalShock @ Feb 17 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]1420903[/snapback]</div>
I dunno about you but I'm totally psyched about this project.
[/b]

You're not alone. :D

There is a genuine holy grail appeal to this prop. It's just nice to have something new to look forward to in ROTJ after 20+ years.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back