New Matt Smith Doctor Who Coat

Q: The Doctor’s new coat?

Steven Moffat: “Well, the Doctor went into the Tardis and realised he was starting to whiff a bit. Matt fancied a different coat. It’s not a great story, is it? I turned up one day and he was wearing it, I think.”

If the weird new coat is because the S6 tweed was starting to stink, they do realize he still has two better-looking tweeds from S5, right? (well, in story one's gone, but still)

Sorry, not a fan of his pseudo-Capt. Jack coat (or the S6 tweed, really, I don't like the pattern). Bring back the old tweed jackets.

From what I read, Smith wanted the new coat so they let him wear it a few times in the episodes - but I am really crossing my fingers it does not replace the tweeds.
Im not down with the new look - the tweed just goes better with the bowtie which of course, has become a staple of the new Doctor.

Well, 'Night Terrors' had the tweed back, so it's not gone.

Also, it's moleskine, apparently.

"The Doctor also has a new coat; a long green moleskin one. We always wanted the Doctor's outfit to evolve and the coat certainly kept me warm when filming during the winter."

That's only cos Night Terrors was pushed back. It was supposed to be in the first half of the series, but Steven Moffat switched it with The Doctors Wife.

Notice there was no reference to finding Melody. Cos Melody hadn't technically been born when that episode was supposed to be in the arc of the series.

That's only cos Night Terrors was pushed back. It was supposed to be in the first half of the series, but Steven Moffat switched it with The Doctors Wife.

Notice there was no reference to finding Melody. Cos Melody hadn't technically been born when that episode was supposed to be in the arc of the series.

This is true, I'd forgotten about that. It makes the Doctor's "Ah, there you are, in the flesh." comment at the end poignant.

it's also worth saying from the publicity stills I have seen, he wears the coat in the next story, The Girl Who Waited; I think he is in the Tweed for The God Complex; defiantly in the coat for Closing Time; not sure about the finale.

And just to say he sheds the tweed for the coat (ie doesn't wear the coat over it) - if you look when Amy and Rory are rescued in Let's Kill Hitler, the tweed jacket is hanging on the coat stand behind them.

I don't think I'm a fan of the Abbyshot Tweed Jacket.

tumblr_lqwxq1we6i1r2oef1o1_400.jpg

This is true, I'd forgotten about that. It makes the Doctor's "Ah, there you are, in the flesh." comment at the end poignant.

"It’s good to be back together again. In the flesh."

What make you think it's Amy he's talking about?

The Abbyshot jacket looks pretty bad. Definitely looks off for some reason. The vertical lines don't seem dark enough. Plus the red lines don't look right. Steve Ricks posted a reference image of the actual fabric on his blog. The red lines should be spaced at 35mm-40mm-35mm-40mm (and so on) apart from each other but the Abbyshot jacket red lines look like they're all evenly spaced out. Just doesn't look all that good to me.

Link to that ref picture article (plus it's a great blog to read in general):
Making My 11th Doctor Costume: Season Six Tweed jacket –making the body

Loving the new green jacket, it looks great on Matt. Hoping it sticks around.

I guess Abbyshot went cheap went ordering fabric from China instead of it's source (or I think that's what the controversy was about).

I love the green jacket. I'm having one made up as a winter coat.

I'm hoping they get the Harkness coat right, as the price is good.

Looking at the pics, the rank braid is wrong, and sewn on wrong. You'd think they'd get some made that was actually correct. :rolleyes

On the plus side, at least they used King's Crown buttons. :thumbsup

Seriously, that looks amazing. Is it the new Miracle Day coat or the older style .... or are they just both the same but the new one is in a new material? Either way, it looks incredible. Captain Jack cosplaying just got a hell of a lot easier, that's for sure.

After looking at the pics closely, here's what I see (good and bad) on the Abbyshot Harkness coat...

1) Rank braid is incorrect, as well as incorrectly sewn to the epaulet (as mentioned previously). I'd replace with more accurate braid and sewn to be screen accurate. :thumbsdown
2) King's Crown RAF buttons are correct, but these appear to be rather poor copies. I'd replace with originals. :thumbsdown
3) What's with the buttons spreading out as they go up the coat? Geez...might as well be on the shoulders when they reach the top row. The button spacing from left to right does increase as they reach the top...but not that much. (n)thumbsdown
4) Fabric looks pretty good on the monitor, but would love to handle a sample to see what it really looks and feels like. :thumbsup
5) Buckle on the belt is probably way closer to correct than any of the eBay/cosplay options. :thumbsup

I think I'm still going to get a cosplay one and make the mods to that, rather than spend double the amount and still make the same mods. Of course, that opinion is subject to change if someone gets an Abbyshot and posts pics of a production piece rather than the manufacturer prototype from their website.

It looks like the collar splays a bit more than it should on either coat. I'd guess they more accurately reproduced the original coat. The back has two darts though that I think were actually just wrinkles because the belt would pull the whole thing together, but somebody could correct me on that if I'm wrong. It looks more like the cut of the original to me, though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back