Thought it would be cool to have a (Scratch-built) Studio Scale forum,
but you don't just get what you ask for, we need a certain amount of
positive response to get it. I think there might be enough guys who do
it, combined with people who like to see it......that maybe we can get
the forum.If your interested just post "INTERESTED" you don't obviously
have to build from scratch to be interested.:thumbsup

Obviously I would be ........

INTERESTED

Mike This is the best idea since the Wheel mate, well maybe nearly the best idea since the wheel?

It'd be a perfect place to come n learn, I love learning

I think the SS forum is fine the way it is. It isn't like there are a kajillion kit threads bumping all the scratch threads to page 50. It's a pretty low traffic forum, plenty of room for all kinds of SS projects.

I think the SS forum is fine the way it is. It isn't like there are a kajillion kit threads bumping all the scratch threads to page 50. It's a pretty low traffic forum, plenty of room for all kinds of SS projects.

What Jay said.

Another subforum to maintain like having to sort out what belongs where is nothing anyone really wants to do.

For the moment I can´t see any valid reasons to have another subforum created. The tagging system might be useful for what you guys have in mind, though.

Michael
RPF staff

What Jay said.

Another subforum to maintain like having to sort out what belongs where is nothing anyone really wants to do.

For the moment I can´t see any valid reasons to have another subforum created. The tagging system might be useful for what you guys have in mind, though.

Michael
RPF staff

This was an idea I had, I went to staff here at therpf i didn't
just start a thread. I was told to see how much interest there
would be. But that they the staff is reluctant to add more forums,
no one told me no....no one told me we don't need it.....only to try.
If your interested just post "Interested" this is not about fighting,
thanks guys.:thumbsup

interested.
its not studio scale since it was never in a studio..
and its def'ly a different art form than the general modeling.

general modeling is akin to picking your own crayons when you color in a coloring book..
whereas scratchbuilding is using any medium on any canvas to create any subject.

totally different game, imo.

interested.
its not studio scale since it was never in a studio..
and its def'ly a different art form than the general modeling.

We collect everything that is recreating a model that was used as a practical fx model in the studio scale forum, when it is to scale with the originally used model, kit form or scratch built.

general modeling is akin to picking your own crayons when you color in a coloring book..
whereas scratchbuilding is using any medium on any canvas to create any subject.

totally different game, imo.

We collect everything that does not fit into the studio scale category in general modeling, regardless of how it is built. You can scratch build in a lot of media.

Regarding my opinion that we don´t really neeed another subforum stated above, just continue to hold the survey and don´t let yourself be stopped by my comment ;)

Michael
RPF staff

Maybe instead of separating scratch building from the rest it might be better to separate resin kits from the rest and have just a subforum on resin kits? I agree with the "oh no, not another resin...... "whatever" kit thread!!

Well, the one weird blur I can see is what is considered a "scratchbuilt" SS model? We all know in the case of the X-Wings that for the hero and pyro models, some kind of master was made and a copy was done of the parts and the copies were assembled and painted LIKE a kit. Most big production companies that made more than one model would go through some form of parts duplication if they needed to and in some cases, the "kits" being built on RPF come from the original parts molds.

Things can also get a bit convoluted on projects as well. So say I've got an Estes Maxi-Brute X-Wing kit (which is studio model scale). In order to do with it what Bill George did to his over at the SSM gallery MANY years ago to make it an SS replica, I would need to add A LOT of parts to it. So do I put it in SS kits because it is a kit, or do I put it in Scratchbuild because of what is needed to do it up right?

I'll do some soul searching on my own as I am kind of on the fence. But right now, more of me is saying there is no need to really mess with the threads as I've generally been able to find what I've looked for in my searches.

Ok, i did say interested, but you have to think of this, what about the guys who work there butts off, making a terrible, or very innaccurate GK into a thing of beauty, via original donors, and scratchbuilding, then it becomes a hybrid no?
Guess the door does swing both ways, its a good idea, but hard to clarify between IMO.
I do agree its hard to watch X wing after X wing in GK form, but you also have too look at what some of these guys put in to these kits to make them far more accurate than the patternmaker intended.

Lee

Let's have some mercy on our mods, who have enough trouble moving inappropriate modeling threads out of SS into General Modeling. Some perspective: some folks don't even get why SS needs to be separated from General in the first place. Let's not be a burden.

Like JMChladek said, many builds have both scratchbuilt and resin components. Where to draw the line?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back