New forum interest thread

Id bet you would still have the mods moving GK from this proposed forum too though, so Jay has a point, it could turn out to be a PITA for the mods, and annoy the builders to find subjects in it that arent up to the criteria?
Second thoughts on this one now, id say leave it be.

Lee

You know what JUST DELETE THE THREAD! Because only a few can listen anyway....I asked to just post "Interested" and let the powers to be figure it out. But it seems many here don't get that.....thanks to all the people who just posted "Interested".......I quit keep it the same damn way it is.

Peace.

Last edited:
I was never asked to figure it out.....just see about interest, but sure
enough we need to have a discussion, there is no discussion here about
how it works. Thats not up to us thats up to the mods and owner and
anyone in that dept. We made this much harder by not listening........
I am done with it this will be my last post about it.:thumbsup
See you in the Studio Scale Section right here on therpf.

Calm down a moment. It is an interesting idea. It doesn't mean it is necessarily one that everyone agrees with, but it can still be discussed. This is what "discussion" is for to bounce it back and fourth and see if it is a good idea to others. When I got your PM, I was willing to listen and I still am. So far I haven't heard another good arguement for going forward, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one (just that one hasn't been suggested yet).

Thought it would be cool to have a (Scratch-built) Studio Scale forum,
but you don't just get what you ask for, we need a certain amount of
positive response to get it. I think there might be enough guys who do
it, combined with people who like to see it......that maybe we can get
the forum.If your interested just post "INTERESTED" you don't obviously
have to build from scratch to be interested.:thumbsup

Obviously I would be ........

INTERESTED

That was the original intent of this fourm. When it was originaly made all there was were posts of people scratchbuilding ships, looking for the donor kits, etc. Eventualy some pattern makers came in and showed thier kits and they were welcomed into the fourm as an alternitive to scratch building.

So there are opinions, for, and against, and it comes to this?
Surely you would have expected opinions Michael, its a passion to all of us, and opinions will always come into any form of thread like this.

Dont get mad bud, see how things work out, as i said, i couldnt blow it out the water, but at the same time, id question the why.

Lee

It never hurts to ask. No one blames you for raising the subject, Micheal.

So you say starship modeler did it? How have they handled the issues raised? Do they have scratch and kit forums for both SS and general? Honestly curious. I somehow fell out of the habit of checking in over there some time ago.

Love it, this could be an incredible donor kit parts resource as well. The RPF has needed this for a long long time. :)

And has it, in the form of the SS forum. Beaz did us all a big favour creating it and it's worked well for a long time as (as noted by Jay) a fairly low-traffic forum.

The tagging system might be useful for what you guys have in mind, though.

:thumbsup

I'd honestly prefer to see a sectional breakup of the Junkyard before we tinker with the SS forum. I'm sure that'd be a horrible idea from a mod's perspective but the traffic level is so high, and costume stuff is (mostly) of so little interest to me, the pieces I do like get swamped. Can't say the same for SS.

interested.
its not studio scale since it was never in a studio..
and its def'ly a different art form than the general modeling.

I think you're possibly thinking in different terms from the OP here - you sound like you're talking about original subjects, yes? The OP WAS talking about studio subjects, however. At least, he said 'studio scale scratchbuilds'.

I agree with the "oh no, not another resin...... "whatever" kit thread!!

Do you feel the same way about plastic kits? Personally I don't see the difference between a scratchbuild of an interesting subject and a kit build of an interesting subject. :)

Let's have some mercy on our mods

Amen.

some folks don't even get why SS needs to be separated from General in the first place. Let's not be a burden.

More amen!

You know what JUST DELETE THE THREAD! Because only a few can listen anyway....I asked to just post "Interested" and let the powers to be figure it out. But it seems many here don't get that.....thanks to all the people who just posted "Interested".......I quit keep it the same damn way it is.

Wow. So you only wanted commentary from supporters? Never mind the opinions of anyone who might feel the proposal isn't constructive? Uncool, man!

Michael, I did not mean to throw you off track with my remark. I did not know that you were actually doing a somewhat "official" survey here, which reminds me to talk with the guys about an actual survey system for members where you can really set up a questionnaire to get opinions.

But just to see people post "interested" won´t get you a real opinion of the builder community. And since this is the RPF, of course every little bit, regardless of what it is, is scrutinized and discussed. So wanting to mute discussion, I don´t think that will work.

And thanks to the senior members that chimed in with a little history lesson ;)

Michael
RPF staff

Eh, that's a considerably better way of putting it than my effort. I got a little hot under the collar at the OP's hot-under-the-collar-ness. Sorry. :)

The 'nays' side must be heard on a question like this since the proposed change is not a matter on which the naysayers are unaffected either way. It's not something of which you can fairly say 'if you don't like it, then don't use it' - the status quo would be *gone*.

Thanks for the pm, 3d-Builder, but I don't really see a need to split up the SS forum either. I mean it's low traffic as it is, and, actually, without a great deal of scratchbuilds either, let's face it. How many X-wing scratchbuilds have we seen in the last 3 years? I make it about 2... The scratchbuild and kit activity between them make up only enough material for one SS forum, seems to me. Besides, they complement each other, and often the boundary between them is blurred, as has been mentioned above. Also, split the forum up and Studio Scale is gonna look pretty petty on the site. A typical day might read: Replica Props (373 viewing), Studio Scale (9 viewing), Scratchbuild Studio Scale (8 viewing).... the Proppers would look at that and think we're a bunch of mincing spoiled princesses, unable to tolerate each other in the same boudoir, lol! Studio Scalers should stick together!

(Wouldn't say no to an original subjects forum, though. I doubt if I'm the only one whose interest in movie props has led to original subject scratchbuilds. And it's the folks here that we'd be most inclined to show the stuff to, I imagine. )

The 'nays' side must be heard on a question like this since the proposed change is not a matter on which the naysayers are unaffected either way. It's not something of which you can fairly say 'if you don't like it, then don't use it' - the status quo would be *gone*.

Yeah, an exodus from the present forum by scratchbuilders who are sick of kits is definitely implied. That'd be a negative development, I reckon. A split into two colder, smaller fora...

Michael, I did not mean to throw you off track with my remark. I did not know that you were actually doing a somewhat "official" survey here, which reminds me to talk with the guys about an actual survey system for members where you can really set up a questionnaire to get opinions.

But just to see people post "interested" won´t get you a real opinion of the builder community. And since this is the RPF, of course every little bit, regardless of what it is, is scrutinized and discussed. So wanting to mute discussion, I don´t think that will work.

And thanks to the senior members that chimed in with a little history lesson ;)

Michael
RPF staff

I didn't really want to respond again....I just want you guys to know this.
The staff member here who was kind enough to reply to my PM told me straight out, "that we don't like to add more forums" and that we would need a "MASSIVE" response from members to make it work.
He didn't say to me "Michael tell me how your going to do it before you see about the response" he just said to me "try". So I started a thread and from the beginning i said Just post "INTERESTED". Now since there are so many posts to figure out "why it should be" "Why it shouldn't be" thats been lost
it's turned into a discussion that has bogged down the original objective.
There was nothing to be figured out here, that was not the intent the
intent was just to see the amount of "INTERESTED" members.....obviously
if your not interested you show your support against it by not posting.......right? In my personal opinion the thread should be deleted
it's turned into a burden it was never supposed to be, maybe in the future when there is a survey system in place like ManfromNaboo said it
will be better time to do it.

Regards,
Michael

With the endless threads for X and Y wings and anything Star wars. I think we need a scratch building section. Dont get me wrong i love SW. But come come on. How many SS x and y wing kits can there be .

With the endless threads for X and Y wings and anything Star wars. I think we need a scratch building section. Dont get me wrong i love SW. But come come on. How many SS x and y wing kits can there be .

Your half right, they can congest the front page now and then, but, everybody has the right to build one, and show it off, noob or old school, no?
If you dont want to see them, dont click on the thread, not trying to sound like a dick, but its basic common sense.

lee

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you completely and I love the scratchbilds. The same can be said for any section on this forum. I mean how many ironman or vader threads are there? Everytime a new flick comes out there's ten threads of peeps doin the costume. Want a Thor hammer? There's about 8 to choose from. As Lee said if it doesn't interest you then don't click it.:cool:thumbsup

Thing is too Simon, Al wants a "scratchbuilding" forum, but is tired of X and Y wings, so, how about the guy who is "scratchbuilding" those quoted models, which are a feat and a half anyway, just ask Julien how hard it is to get the hull pattern correct.
Is it a case of folk who build Garage kits are lesser being's? I build garage kits, i also can scratchbuild my ass off given the drive, but id never want to see the forum split down the middle.
Its one reason, most of my loved subjects, are models you dont see everyday, there what i love, but i still check in on the threads from Kaoru and Atom, because i still love to see what these guys are doing.

Iam guilty however, of not checking in the the Betty threads, that IS maybe a bit of ignorance on my part, but, i just dont dig anything but SW, and i cant stand the Betty, but im STILL not saying, what Al is doing "bores" me, its a hell of a build.

lee

This has actually turned out to be an interesting thread! Freedom of speech and opinion is awsome. In my personal opinion, I think this site is fine the way it is. True there are numerous threads covering the same subjects, but everyone has the right to build what they want. No matter how many people build an X-wing, scratch or kit, its still unique. Like an art class where everyone draws a model in the front of the class. They are all drawing the same thing, however, they each have their own style. And each can learn from eachother. I like having a variety of threads because then I have several options to choose from to fit what I am trying to build. Like what Ralphee said, if you don't want to see it, then look past it.
Another option if people want to go the route would be to let the mods decide where to put a thread. Like when you are selling something on ebay, the first thing you do is put in a keyword of what you are selling and it displays possible categories. Just write the mods about what you want to post and they will tell you where to stick it. And i don't mean that in a bad way!:lol
Just an idea, but either way, lets keep this site fun!! Thanks to you all!!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back