New forum interest thread

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by 3d-builder, Nov 15, 2011.

1. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Thought it would be cool to have a (Scratch-built) Studio Scale forum,
    but you don't just get what you ask for, we need a certain amount of
    positive response to get it. I think there might be enough guys who do
    it, combined with people who like to see it......that maybe we can get
    the forum.If your interested just post "INTERESTED" you don't obviously
    have to build from scratch to be interested.:thumbsup

Obviously I would be ........

INTERESTED

ralphee likes this.
  2. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Very Interested

3. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Love it, this could be an incredible donor kit parts resource as well. The RPF has needed this for a long long time. :)

ralphee likes this.
  4. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

LOVE to see it!

5. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Mike This is the best idea since the Wheel mate, well maybe nearly the best idea since the wheel?

It'd be a perfect place to come n learn, I love learning

6. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Interested!

lee

7. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Color me interested. Definitely!

Marvin

8. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the SS forum is fine the way it is. It isn't like there are a kajillion kit threads bumping all the scratch threads to page 50. It's a pretty low traffic forum, plenty of room for all kinds of SS projects.

9. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What Jay said.

Another subforum to maintain like having to sort out what belongs where is nothing anyone really wants to do.

For the moment I can´t see any valid reasons to have another subforum created. The tagging system might be useful for what you guys have in mind, though.

Michael
    RPF staff

10. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

I would be interested just because im not a kit assembler. I personally get tired of all the resin kits. Oh look another resin x wing

11. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Whats tagging?

I'm a bit daft, sorry!

12. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Interested!

FB

13. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

This was an idea I had, I went to staff here at therpf i didn't
    just start a thread. I was told to see how much interest there
    would be. But that they the staff is reluctant to add more forums,
    no one told me no....no one told me we don't need it.....only to try.
    If your interested just post "Interested" this is not about fighting,
    thanks guys.:thumbsup

14. qcfoundry

qcfoundry Sr Member

interested.
    its not studio scale since it was never in a studio..
    and its def'ly a different art form than the general modeling.

general modeling is akin to picking your own crayons when you color in a coloring book..
    whereas scratchbuilding is using any medium on any canvas to create any subject.

totally different game, imo.

15. DaddyfromNaboo

We collect everything that is recreating a model that was used as a practical fx model in the studio scale forum, when it is to scale with the originally used model, kit form or scratch built.

We collect everything that does not fit into the studio scale category in general modeling, regardless of how it is built. You can scratch build in a lot of media.

Regarding my opinion that we don´t really neeed another subforum stated above, just continue to hold the survey and don´t let yourself be stopped by my comment ;)

Michael
    RPF staff

16. FANTAMATION

FANTAMATION Well-Known Member

Maybe instead of separating scratch building from the rest it might be better to separate resin kits from the rest and have just a subforum on resin kits? I agree with the "oh no, not another resin...... "whatever" kit thread!!

17. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well, the one weird blur I can see is what is considered a "scratchbuilt" SS model? We all know in the case of the X-Wings that for the hero and pyro models, some kind of master was made and a copy was done of the parts and the copies were assembled and painted LIKE a kit. Most big production companies that made more than one model would go through some form of parts duplication if they needed to and in some cases, the "kits" being built on RPF come from the original parts molds.

Things can also get a bit convoluted on projects as well. So say I've got an Estes Maxi-Brute X-Wing kit (which is studio model scale). In order to do with it what Bill George did to his over at the SSM gallery MANY years ago to make it an SS replica, I would need to add A LOT of parts to it. So do I put it in SS kits because it is a kit, or do I put it in Scratchbuild because of what is needed to do it up right?

I'll do some soul searching on my own as I am kind of on the fence. But right now, more of me is saying there is no need to really mess with the threads as I've generally been able to find what I've looked for in my searches.

18. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Ok, i did say interested, but you have to think of this, what about the guys who work there butts off, making a terrible, or very innaccurate GK into a thing of beauty, via original donors, and scratchbuilding, then it becomes a hybrid no?
    Guess the door does swing both ways, its a good idea, but hard to clarify between IMO.
    I do agree its hard to watch X wing after X wing in GK form, but you also have too look at what some of these guys put in to these kits to make them far more accurate than the patternmaker intended.

Lee

19. Treadwell

Let's have some mercy on our mods, who have enough trouble moving inappropriate modeling threads out of SS into General Modeling. Some perspective: some folks don't even get why SS needs to be separated from General in the first place. Let's not be a burden.

Like JMChladek said, many builds have both scratchbuilt and resin components. Where to draw the line?

20. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Well how about this .........A Sci/fi scratch built section end of story starshipmodeler has one they figured it out.:thumbsup

21. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

There you go, anything as long as its scratch-built.

Al

22. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Id bet you would still have the mods moving GK from this proposed forum too though, so Jay has a point, it could turn out to be a PITA for the mods, and annoy the builders to find subjects in it that arent up to the criteria?
    Second thoughts on this one now, id say leave it be.

Lee

23. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

interested lol!

24. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

You know what JUST DELETE THE THREAD! Because only a few can listen anyway....I asked to just post "Interested" and let the powers to be figure it out. But it seems many here don't get that.....thanks to all the people who just posted "Interested".......I quit keep it the same * way it is.

Peace.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  25. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

I was never asked to figure it out.....just see about interest, but sure
    enough we need to have a discussion, there is no discussion here about
    how it works. Thats not up to us thats up to the mods and owner and
    anyone in that dept. We made this much harder by not listening........
    I am done with it this will be my last post about it.:thumbsup
    See you in the Studio Scale Section right here on therpf.

26. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Calm down a moment. It is an interesting idea. It doesn't mean it is necessarily one that everyone agrees with, but it can still be discussed. This is what "discussion" is for to bounce it back and fourth and see if it is a good idea to others. When I got your PM, I was willing to listen and I still am. So far I haven't heard another good arguement for going forward, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one (just that one hasn't been suggested yet).

27. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That was the original intent of this fourm. When it was originaly made all there was were posts of people scratchbuilding ships, looking for the donor kits, etc. Eventualy some pattern makers came in and showed thier kits and they were welcomed into the fourm as an alternitive to scratch building.

DaddyfromNaboo likes this.
  28. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

So there are opinions, for, and against, and it comes to this?
    Surely you would have expected opinions Michael, its a passion to all of us, and opinions will always come into any form of thread like this.

Dont get mad bud, see how things work out, as i said, i couldnt blow it out the water, but at the same time, id question the why.

Lee

29. Treadwell

It never hurts to ask. No one blames you for raising the subject, Micheal.

So you say starship modeler did it? How have they handled the issues raised? Do they have scratch and kit forums for both SS and general? Honestly curious. I somehow fell out of the habit of checking in over there some time ago.

30. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

And has it, in the form of the SS forum. Beaz did us all a big favour creating it and it's worked well for a long time as (as noted by Jay) a fairly low-traffic forum.

:thumbsup

I'd honestly prefer to see a sectional breakup of the Junkyard before we tinker with the SS forum. I'm sure that'd be a horrible idea from a mod's perspective but the traffic level is so high, and costume stuff is (mostly) of so little interest to me, the pieces I do like get swamped. Can't say the same for SS.

I think you're possibly thinking in different terms from the OP here - you sound like you're talking about original subjects, yes? The OP WAS talking about studio subjects, however. At least, he said 'studio scale scratchbuilds'.

Do you feel the same way about plastic kits? Personally I don't see the difference between a scratchbuild of an interesting subject and a kit build of an interesting subject. :)

Amen.

More amen!

Wow. So you only wanted commentary from supporters? Never mind the opinions of anyone who might feel the proposal isn't constructive? Uncool, man!

31. DaddyfromNaboo

Michael, I did not mean to throw you off track with my remark. I did not know that you were actually doing a somewhat "official" survey here, which reminds me to talk with the guys about an actual survey system for members where you can really set up a questionnaire to get opinions.

But just to see people post "interested" won´t get you a real opinion of the builder community. And since this is the RPF, of course every little bit, regardless of what it is, is scrutinized and discussed. So wanting to mute discussion, I don´t think that will work.

And thanks to the senior members that chimed in with a little history lesson ;)

Michael
    RPF staff

32. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Eh, that's a considerably better way of putting it than my effort. I got a little hot under the collar at the OP's hot-under-the-collar-ness. Sorry. :)

The 'nays' side must be heard on a question like this since the proposed change is not a matter on which the naysayers are unaffected either way. It's not something of which you can fairly say 'if you don't like it, then don't use it' - the status quo would be *gone*.

33. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Thanks for the pm, 3d-Builder, but I don't really see a need to split up the SS forum either. I mean it's low traffic as it is, and, actually, without a great deal of scratchbuilds either, let's face it. How many X-wing scratchbuilds have we seen in the last 3 years? I make it about 2... The scratchbuild and kit activity between them make up only enough material for one SS forum, seems to me. Besides, they complement each other, and often the boundary between them is blurred, as has been mentioned above. Also, split the forum up and Studio Scale is gonna look pretty petty on the site. A typical day might read: Replica Props (373 viewing), Studio Scale (9 viewing), Scratchbuild Studio Scale (8 viewing).... the Proppers would look at that and think we're a bunch of mincing spoiled princesses, unable to tolerate each other in the same boudoir, lol! Studio Scalers should stick together!

(Wouldn't say no to an original subjects forum, though. I doubt if I'm the only one whose interest in movie props has led to original subject scratchbuilds. And it's the folks here that we'd be most inclined to show the stuff to, I imagine. )

34. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Yeah, an exodus from the present forum by scratchbuilders who are sick of kits is definitely implied. That'd be a negative development, I reckon. A split into two colder, smaller fora...

35. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

I didn't really want to respond again....I just want you guys to know this.
    The staff member here who was kind enough to reply to my PM told me straight out, "that we don't like to add more forums" and that we would need a "MASSIVE" response from members to make it work.
    He didn't say to me "Michael tell me how your going to do it before you see about the response" he just said to me "try". So I started a thread and from the beginning i said Just post "INTERESTED". Now since there are so many posts to figure out "why it should be" "Why it shouldn't be" thats been lost
    it's turned into a discussion that has bogged down the original objective.
    There was nothing to be figured out here, that was not the intent the
    intent was just to see the amount of "INTERESTED" members.....obviously
    if your not interested you show your support against it by not posting.......right? In my personal opinion the thread should be deleted
    it's turned into a burden it was never supposed to be, maybe in the future when there is a survey system in place like ManfromNaboo said it
    will be better time to do it.

Regards,
    Michael

36. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

With the endless threads for X and Y wings and anything Star wars. I think we need a scratch building section. Dont get me wrong i love SW. But come come on. How many SS x and y wing kits can there be .

37. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Your half right, they can congest the front page now and then, but, everybody has the right to build one, and show it off, noob or old school, no?
    If you dont want to see them, dont click on the thread, not trying to sound like a dick, but its basic common sense.

lee

38. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you completely and I love the scratchbilds. The same can be said for any section on this forum. I mean how many ironman or vader threads are there? Everytime a new flick comes out there's ten threads of peeps doin the costume. Want a Thor hammer? There's about 8 to choose from. As Lee said if it doesn't interest you then don't click it.:cool:thumbsup

39. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Thing is too Simon, Al wants a "scratchbuilding" forum, but is tired of X and Y wings, so, how about the guy who is "scratchbuilding" those quoted models, which are a feat and a half anyway, just ask Julien how hard it is to get the hull pattern correct.
    Is it a case of folk who build Garage kits are lesser being's? I build garage kits, i also can scratchbuild my * off given the drive, but id never want to see the forum split down the middle.
    Its one reason, most of my loved subjects, are models you dont see everyday, there what i love, but i still check in on the threads from Kaoru and Atom, because i still love to see what these guys are doing.

Iam guilty however, of not checking in the the Betty threads, that IS maybe a bit of ignorance on my part, but, i just dont dig anything but SW, and i cant stand the Betty, but im STILL not saying, what Al is doing "bores" me, its a hell of a build.

lee

40. morsesith21

morsesith21 Well-Known Member

This has actually turned out to be an interesting thread! Freedom of speech and opinion is awsome. In my personal opinion, I think this site is fine the way it is. True there are numerous threads covering the same subjects, but everyone has the right to build what they want. No matter how many people build an X-wing, scratch or kit, its still unique. Like an art class where everyone draws a model in the front of the class. They are all drawing the same thing, however, they each have their own style. And each can learn from eachother. I like having a variety of threads because then I have several options to choose from to fit what I am trying to build. Like what Ralphee said, if you don't want to see it, then look past it.
    Another option if people want to go the route would be to let the mods decide where to put a thread. Like when you are selling something on ebay, the first thing you do is put in a keyword of what you are selling and it displays possible categories. Just write the mods about what you want to post and they will tell you where to stick it. And i don't mean that in a bad way!:lol
    Just an idea, but either way, lets keep this site fun!! Thanks to you all!!!

41. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

I guess the higher ups will decide

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  42. DaddyfromNaboo

You ARE kidding, right? I mean, please tell me that you are kidding :lol

Michael

43. morsesith21

morsesith21 Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone would get that! ayre go the part about keeping the site FUN!:lol:lol

I like the site the way it is!

44. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Yeah, Michael while your at it, between ALL the humdrum stuff you slack on around here, could you pop over and re wallpaper my living room :lol.

lee

45. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

We all like the site for our own reasons......community, sales, friendships,
    whatever at some point we probably feel it could be better in some ways.
    At the end of the day i don't own the site i just come here so......I just find
    my little nitch.
    Sure the GK part of the site is just part of the "culture" of the rpf
    by now, it's just kind of interwoven. Some like it some don't .....it has
    some advantages and disadvantages in my opinion. Inherently it will
    cause repetitive subject matter, to me that's a bit of a disadvantage
    at the same time, the GK's influence has fostered up some new talents that have gone beyond GK's for whatever reasons. It has also created an avenue
    for people who can't scratch build to share in the excitement of scale
    model building, especially in regards to 'Scale" and "Subject matter" that
    many mass producing model companies won't touch.
    So you kind of live with the culture and take parts out of it
    you like and leave the others behind. Just because someone does
    not comment on what your building does not mean they don't respect
    what your doing, they are just not interested. I looked in the costume
    part of the section yesterday by accident!:lol I clicked on the wrong forum
    and this guy was building a 1/1 A-wing pilots helmet it was awesome! I said to myself......"wow how little i look around this site except at what i am interested in!" So i am just as selfish as the next guy about subject matter but it's my right!:lol Plus i don't have the money or room to start a blaster and helmet collection....but I would like one!:lol

Peace!

46. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Scratch-builds can be boring to!:lol Al I am watching you build the betty
    for the second time and i have bored you and Lee with to many botched
    A-wings and speeders .......your lucky the twin Pod-car sucked or maybe i
    would be doing another one of them!:lol So we all contribute the the repetitiveness in a way out of passion for the most part, we for the majority
    are not getting rich off of it!:lol

47. ShowCraft

ShowCraft Well-Known Member

Add a Scratch Built section to General Modeling or add a carefully titled sub-section to the Studio Scale forum.
    There are now builds happening of film concept art and prototype models along with physical models of CG movie vehicles that, as it stands now, are all lumped into and I feel getting lost in the huge, and very general -General Modeling section.

48. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

That's an idea also.:thumbsup

49. REL

REL Sr Member

I'm for it.

50. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

Yes and yes!!