New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Is it too late to do something about the cybermen? I don't think I will ever like the new design.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Cybermen change almost every time we see them. No need to worry if you don't like the current design. They'll change in a season or two.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I think it will be slightly longer considering how long they rinsed the 'Cybus' design for :)

Rise Of The Cybermen went out in 2006 and the new Cybermen only appeared this year so 6 years!!??

I personally like the newest Cyberman look. It has a very sleek look to it while still retaining those elements which instantly scream "Cyberman!".... namely the handles, round eyes and slot mouth. It's really all in the helmet, really. If you get that right you can play about with the design of the rest of the suit and it's still going to work.

The bit in the centre of their chest *does* bear a striking resemblance to an Iron Man suit... but I can forgive that. I think they are looking quite well even as compared to the 2005 version.

Of course they don't look like classic Cybermen... but the redesign is very flattering. I've felt the same about the Daleks... though I love the classic Dalek look, the RTD version is SOOO cool. I love the tall flashers on the domes and the extra fiddley work on the shoulders and the heavy armour-like look of the plates around the shoulders. The New Paradigm Daleks I DID NOT like one bit... and I'm glad that we don't seem to see those much anymore.

Yeah it seems like the Beeb (& Moffat) had to take on board the criticism about the new design Dalek, they've hardly been used much since they premiered. The RTD Daleks were supposed to be replaced by the new colourful, taller and supposedly more menacing design.

The bad reaction to the new Dalek was an expensive experience, I think most of the RTD ones were sold off

J

Well, they fudged the original new dalek design making them look hump-backed. Click to see a plan versus as built comparison.

5937069518_81760966fc_z.jpg

The ipod/my little pony color schemes did NOT help.

As for Cybermen changing - in the classic series they changed a little almost every episode. The first few cybermen stories had completely different costumes story-to-story, which made sense story-wise but was even more amazing given DW's tiny budget back then. Only after Earthshock (as the 80s budget stagnated) did they stay the same.

I personally like the newest Cyberman look. It has a very sleek look to it while still retaining those elements which instantly scream "Cyberman!".... namely the handles, round eyes and slot mouth. It's really all in the helmet, really. If you get that right you can play about with the design of the rest of the suit and it's still going to work.

The bit in the centre of their chest *does* bear a striking resemblance to an Iron Man suit... but I can forgive that. I think they are looking quite well even as compared to the 2005 version.

Of course they don't look like classic Cybermen... but the redesign is very flattering. I've felt the same about the Daleks... though I love the classic Dalek look, the RTD version is SOOO cool. I love the tall flashers on the domes and the extra fiddley work on the shoulders and the heavy armour-like look of the plates around the shoulders. The New Paradigm Daleks I DID NOT like one bit... and I'm glad that we don't seem to see those much anymore.

I like the new look myself. The only thing that bugged me was the super-speed addition. Gotta have some weakeness

I like the freedom of movement the new Cyber suit gives the actors. I was at the Proms special this year and they were jumping down six steps at a time and pouncing from a crouched position at people. It was really effective. They could barely walk in the old suits.

Well, I liked it. A lot. It had some fun stuff. Some cool stuff. Some funny stuff. Some silly stuff. The truth field made me chuckle. The opening bit was funny. The Doctor setting down roots and getting old was not what I expected to see.

Honestly though, it wasn't at all what I was expecting, or even what I wanted. But it was still good. I expected Smith's Who to die in the war, get buried, etc with a big emotional send off, and then Capaldi to appear and save the day in some grand heroic fashion, and we're left with a new mystery of how he came to be. As it was, the popping in suddenly was abrupt but I have a sneaking suspicion that is going somewhere and will be explained, or touched upon in Capaldi's first proper episode.

After the 50th, well hey, that is a tough act to follow. It hit all the right buttons for me. I watched 3 times right in a row. I watched the ending with "the curator" 5 more times. Just adore that scene and all that it implies.

I wasn't holding Smith's finale up to that standard. I would have loved to see him go out in battle. I'd love to have seen more battle.

Ultimately I prefer to enjoy this show, even when it's bad, it's still Doctor Who bad, and that's better and more fun than most. I remind myself that it's a science fiction show about time traveling in a blue police box that's bigger on the inside. After I do that, the stuff about how many Daleks there are supposed to be just doesn't matter to me at all.

I am in the camp that thought what happened with the sisters had some kind of resetting effect on the regeneration limit. I'm not sure bringing back the crack in the wall, or granting The Doctor a new 13 was really needed. But that was not enough to ruin the episode for me either.

I watched it again. I still have mixed feelings about a lot of it. Overall I thought it was good with a few asterisks. Except for Amy showing up. No. Nooooooope. I yelled at the TV, cursed a bit. If there's one thing the show didn't need it was ONE MORE SECOND of Amy Pond. That scene was also kind of insulting to Clara and/or Jenna Coleman if you ask me.

Also, did anybody else get a Cast Away/Wilson vibe when Handles died?

Totally agree that shoving Pond in there stole Clara's thunder, I am doing cartwheels of joy at the fact that I will never again have to hear the expression 'Raggedy Man'

Fun thing I keep forgetting to mention: here in central Florida there is an actual town called Christmas. Every year their post office get swamped because so many people go there to mail their Christmas cards with a post mark from Christmas.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

The bad reaction to the new Dalek was an expensive experience, I think most of the RTD ones were sold off
I'd love to know how good/bad the merch sales were. My guess is 'lousy compared to the NSD version'. There are new Cybermen?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back