New Battlestar Galactica Colonial gear

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Prop-Maker, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

Anyone working on any new Galactica clothes? I'd like to get a Viper pilot flight suit or some kind of Colonial costume, but I have no idea where to start. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,
    J.

- Side note -
    Edited to clear up any confusion.

2. TK765

TK765 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Threads have been ongoing at ASAP but as of now no one has found the exact material.

It was reported in the BSG magazine that they bought all the material for the series from a certain company which is now out of business. They now have to be carefull with the suits they have or find a new source.

Someone posted over there has built a helmet which is decent but not perfect.

So far no one has been able to identify the shoes they wore, maybe a custom or older style.

Duty belt and pouches are also unidentifed.

Still lots of things to figure out.

Gloves have been found though.

3. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

So are we in agreement that the search engine sucks?

4. Prop-Maker

Yes, sir, I believe we are.

5. JKolton

JKolton Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading that the shoes were prototypes provided by a shoe company for use in the show. Reebok perhaps? Which would mean they've never been in production.

6. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Even the best search engine can't find a thread that doesn't exist. ;)

This is either the very first new BG colonial gear thread on the RPF, or the first one in several months (meaning any old one has dropped off).

7. JKolton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this thread at ASAP.

Viper pilot uniform

Looks like they may have tracked down some similar fabric on page 3. Hope this helps. :)

Jon

8. Prop-Maker

THAT HELPS TREMENDOUSLY.. I keep forgetting about ASAP. Used to be my mainstay prop forum 'til I found the RPF. I head back there and post every now and then. Looks like I need to start again. Thanks a lot, sir. Also... I think I've seen that shoe before. I'll have to have a look around my footwear department, but the shoe looks SO familiar.

9. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Well, the easiest outfit by far would be the urban digital camo, black web belt, tactical holster, and rank pins. (What Apollo wore on Kobol, or Commander Adama, though his collar has been modified.)

The standard OD bdu's w/ extra straps and green suede patches would be the next easiest. There's a tutorial over on sg-command.net on how to do it.

Pilot oufits and dress uniforms would be the most challenging.

10. Prop-Maker

Yeah, I agree. The Marines would be easy to do, also. All you'd need is the tactical vest (this one here, which I plan on coppin').

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then just get a set of black BDUs, this helmet:

[​IMG]

These goggles:

[​IMG]

And you'd pretty much be set.

- Side note -
    I wish the pictures were a little smaller, but... you know.

11. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

I'd posted here about that months ago & was sent to ASAP, so Istarted the VP suit thread there. (as missjayne) I'd also posted here to see if anyone was working on a helmet. The one on ASAP is looking pretty good. I'm working on the flightsuit for myself. Check sommers.com for the chroma fabric. (You might have to order from their distributors or have a company name if they give you a hard time.) I haven't found those shoes and I've looked EVRYWHERE. I'm going to sew pads to glue onto some that are similar. BTW I'm pretty sure the discontinued fabric they refer to in that article is the dress uniform wool. He says "blue uniform" in the article.
    Jayn

12. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

i have some GREAT resources to try and figure out the shoes, so i'll see if they can help me out...

NWJEDI
    dave

13. JKolton

For the dress uniform and regular duty uniform, the pattern that I bought for my WWII Batman costume has an additional jacket pattern that looks exactly like the jacket, only longer. I'll grab the pattern sleeve and scan it after lunch. :)

14. JKolton

And as I said before, I believe the shoes were a prototype that never went into production, but I do agree with you guys, they do look damned familiar. I wouldn't doubt a similar shoe was put into production in place of them. And I dunno why, but I want to say they were white and metalic blue.

15. JKolton

Ok, here we go. The pattern I believe would work is the blue jacket, shortened to waist length and with only one row of buttons (and a few other modifications obviously)

[​IMG]

And heres the line art from the sheet inside:

[​IMG]

I got the pattern at Jo-anne Fabrics, though I would imagine you can get them anywhere that sells patterns. :)
    Jon

16. TK765

So far no one has really addressed the belts and pouches.

I hope someone knowledgeable in those might be able to recognize what they might be.

I have looked around a little but so far found no matches.

17. UFO

UFO Sr Member

not really, the UDC pattern they use isnt released to the public yet, those are the prototype digis for the US navy.....

18. moviebuff5

moviebuff5 Well-Known Member

The belt is a standard duty belt. It appears to be made by Bianchi based on the straps. The buckle is a Stubai Click fix. It appears to be the adjustable model, but it only has two pins, like the fixed model. I think it may be an adjustable turned backward. I am still debating if I should just order both so I can do a side by side comparison. I am pretty broke from my OD costume, so if someone else wants to order them here is the link. Be sure to select the black one from the drop down menu.

Adjustable
    http://www.modernmountainman.com/catalog.p...roduct&id=17383

Fixed
    http://www.modernmountainman.com/catalog.p...roduct&id=17459

19. JKolton

I actually saw bolts of the replica digi camo fabric at the fabric store yesterday (and walmart too) FYI

20. moviebuff5

21. UFO

UFO Sr Member

from what i heard they arent digital urban, i heard digital urban was grey and black (like regular urban camo) whereas the galactica ones are blue and light blue, the new navy camo pattern....but i could be wrong, i havnt seen digital urban in person, im just going by what i was told. :)

22. SmilingOtter

23. UFO

UFO Sr Member

looks like what i was told....is WRONG. :p
    i stand corrected.

24. Prop-Maker

It looked blue to me, too. But I bet it had something to do with the lighting... it wasn't exactly bright out in those pics. Plus, all that green in the surroundings... low-light and contrasting colors would definitely throw anyone off. Here's a link of an example of low-light, too much green, etc.: Blue-looking BDUs.

- Side-note -
    Could just be one of those costume mix-ups between takes. Who knows.

25. SmilingOtter

It's a lighting issue (very understandable - I'd have though it was a blue style myself from that pic) but when you compare it to this one -
    http://galacticastation.com/Galactica%20St...EP207_571CS.htm
    - its the same outfit. Note on the left-hand collar just above the rank pin. The pattern's identical.

26. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

27. SmilingOtter

That's the closest I've seen so far. My guess is that they're both Nike designs. The main difference I see is that the wavy sections on the uniform shoes curve towards the back, while these curve towards the front. If they could be dyed the right color(s) they would suit me fine, though.

28. Prop-Maker

Could it have been the swoosh that gave it away? Just kidding. :D

But I agree... that's about the closest I've seen, as well and until the actual shoes are found, they'll do perfectly. Now for the rest of the uniform...

29. TK765

Thanks for that, would have never found that buckle. Pouches I have yet to find a exact match for.

Anyone?

[attachmentid=4487]
    [attachmentid=4488]

30. moviebuff5

Glad to help with the buckle.

It is suspected the pouches may be made by Bianchi with the covers cut off and turned around.

http://p082.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm92...picID=177.topic

However, to me the handcuff pouch does not seem to be pointed enough. Though this could be a design change not reflected on Bianchi's website.

31. Prop-Maker

Found a couple of other goggles that would work. Knowing how the show's prop-guys tend to do a few switcher-oos every now and then, we've probably seen all three of 'em.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. Prop-Maker

I don't mean to double-post, but I'm not sure if this belongs in the costuming forum or the prop-forum. Since I couldn't find anything in the search, I'd ask here. Wasn't there someone who was doing the new dog-tags a while back? I could've sworn I saw something about it on here, once. I'm gonna check some other forums, too.

33. moviebuff5

34. Prop-Maker

Awesome. I'll try to get a hold of him. Thanks.

35. Prop-Maker

So... anyone do any BSG for Halloween?

36. moviebuff5

37. Prop-Maker

Awesome, what'd you do?

38. moviebuff5

A random Lt. in the OD BDU. The story that surrounded the character was that I was a Viper pilot since I had been wearing the wings around with my regular clothes.

I am still waiting for pics to turn up, but I should have some by next Monday.

39. Prop-Maker

Cool. Next year, I plan on going the whole nine yards with a full flightsuit (God, that's gonna cost a lot). If I never get around to it, then I'll just be a BSG Marine. By that time, I'll have a real Beretta CX-4. :D

40. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep, these are my photos. I took them at the Directors Guild Of America when I saw the pilot episode with the cast and crew. I have a few other pics of the costumes, but these were the ones taken at the closest range. They had the lobby really dark when I took them and my crappy camera had a hard time focusing on things because it didnt have one of those red distance reading lights on it. My current one does, but a lot of good that does me now. Anyway guys, I felt this material a lot with my hands, so if someone comes across it, I can confirm if it is the right stuff. It was very soft to touch, not slick. I will try to find it in Los Angeles when I get a chance. I'd love to have this costume myself.

Josh

Here is a link to my original pictures...
    My Battlestar Pics

41. starwrslover

starwrslover Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think I may know what the belt pouches are, anyone interested???

42. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

sure...

Jayn

43. starwrslover

starwrslover Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking at the pics, thry look like Bianchi Accumold pouches (baton, cuff, etc,) with the flaps reversed. The ones I carry on my duty belt look exactly like that on the inside. I'll shoot some pics and see what you think.
    Scott

44. Prop-Maker

I believe you're right. Saw some Bianchi stuff today, turned the flaps over and it looked exactly like it. Good eye. They got an ID on Apollo's watch from "Home Pt. II" over there at ASAP. It's a Nixon Scout with a black band. Here's a link to a screencap of the watch.

And here's a pic of the watch.

[​IMG]

45. Prop-Maker

Bump for some news. Anyone found the shoes, yet?

46. Gee2

Gee2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I ID'd the flight suit "gizmo" on the sleeve, it's another of the Nixon brand watches (The Dork) and we're working some other rank / flight suit stuff over at ASAP but nothing on the shoes yet.

Jason

47. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jason,

thanks for sharing .

Is this the watch you are talking about ?

[​IMG]

Michael

48. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A tip for anyone looking to match the flight suit fabric, I did get to feel the actual suits at the Directors Guild of America. The closest thing I have found to the texture, weight, and rigidity is 100% polyurethane. I dont know if it comes in colors like the BSG flight suits, but it sure matches the feel of the material I felt.

Josh

49. Jango Wes

Jango Wes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been searching for a while now and I have yet to identify the pouches on the Viper pilot belt. I know they aren't the Accumold with the flaps sewn on backwards, but has anyone else had any luck?

Wes

50. EdgeofNowhere

EdgeofNowhere Well-Known Member

question on the buckle. Are both the adjustable and non-adjustable buckles the same size? Because the non adjust is about 30 grams lighter, and I didn't know if the adjusting plate would account for the difference.

[EDIT] Well, I ordered a pair. I'll review them when they arrive

-EoN