Netflix Recommendations Thread

Have you guys watched Death Note (Netflix version)? I have to say I am really disappointed by it :/ They skipped all of the good moments from the anime, such a shame, everything felt rushed :/

Last edited:
I watched the trailers, and they said it was a "different" version/vision of the original anime. all I could think of as i watched the trailers was that Dafoe was using his goblin voice.

I watched the trailers, and they said it was a "different" version/vision of the original anime. all I could think of as i watched the trailers was that Dafoe was using his goblin voice.

I mean I was hoping in either something really different, with a different storyline or even characters, or something really close to the anime, but that is definitely following the storyline of the anime, except they tried to condense a complex story into a 1h30 movie... Even the japanese ones are better... I'm scared for FMA now haha

I agree its a VERY hard thing to do.. I still havnt heard anything about the "attack on titan" movie that was positive ... :unsure

I agree its a VERY hard thing to do.. I still havnt heard anything about the "attack on titan" movie that was positive ... :unsure

Eh, Attack on Titan wasn't terrible, but it suffers the same maladies of all adaptations from an existing medium:

1) Budgetary Constraints. Even given the amazing things you can do with SFX and CGI, there are some things you just cannot do unless you have a James Cameron Avatar budget and access to places like ILM. Comics and animation allow for greater freedom in depicting a given thing happening.

2) Time Constraints. There's often too much material to try and squeeze into the 80-200 minute film format, so a lot of it gets cut. Even big budget tentpoles like The Hobbit and epic TV series like Game of Thrones aren't immune to this.

3) Nostalgia Goggles. It doesn't matter how good the film is. There are ALWAYS people who will claim that the original was better. Star Trek and Star Wars are good examples of this. While both were groundbreaking at the time, when you look at them objectively (i.e. - without the Nostalgia Goggles), they weren't stellar examples of film and television.

I've just started to watch Salem on Netflix and I've just found out that it was cancelled after season 3 !!!
am I watching this to the end with a final conclusion or is it typical of all cancelled series !! No ending and left wondering what happened, disappointed and frustrated ?

Eh, Attack on Titan wasn't terrible, but it suffers the same maladies of all adaptations from an existing medium:

2) Time Constraints. There's often too much material to try and squeeze into the 80-200 minute film format, so a lot of it gets cut. Even big budget tentpoles like The Hobbit and epic TV series like Game of Thrones aren't immune to this.

Side note:

With perhaps a few exceptions, this is even true within animated film adaptations of long-running anime shows as well. If you've never seen the original material, for example, the Gundam movie trilogy (detailing the events of the original Gundam 0079 show) seem...decent. Particularly by the 3rd movie, the animation looks a lot better. But when you sit down and watch the whole series, the films pale by comparison. They condense WAY too much. By contrast, the Space Battleship Yamato film adapting the first series doesn't even do a good job of condensing the first series. It shows highlights from maybe 1/3 of the series, but misses much of the importance of the rest of the series. When you go back and watch the series, it becomes even clearer.

Anyone here see the film, Collateral Beauty?

I just watched it, and really liked it. Several great performances from Will Smith, Keira Knightly, Helen Mirren, Edward Norton, and Naomi Harris. I don't wanna say anything specific, so as to not spoil the plot. But I think it's a very well done film, with a thought-provoking story, and excellent performances by a terrific ensemble cast, that any film lover would like. But if you've ever lost a loved one--especially one before their time--then I'm betting you'll love it.

The film reminded me why I love Keira Knightly so much. Just beautiful to look at, a brilliant actress, and such a lovely, sexy voice.

DVD-only on Netflix.

The Wook

I watched GOLD, with Mathew mahagony, it was good. the usual "based on a true story". if you liked THE BIG HURT and WOLF OF WALL STREET its similar. :$

off topic alil... the new "thumbs up/down" rating system is BS. but then again listening to the "masses" never payed off for me personally.. :wacko

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back