1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Done / Completed Netflix/Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 3rd Run DONE

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by JKKS, Jun 12, 2015.

1. JKKS

JKKS Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ever since Marvel's Daredevil aired on Netflix back in April I, along with a sizable number of other enthusiasts on these board, decided to tackle the Man Without Fear's black suit. Most of it is made of "off the shelves" item, some you can easily find and some you unfortunately can't (and have to settle with close enough options).
    The most iconic piece of his gear as "The Man In The Black Suit" is of course his mask which is an impressive piece of design, very effective to conceal his identity and also a great way to remind audiences that the character is actually blind. And that design was so well received that the character will get a weirdly similar outfit in Marvel's All-New All-Different "reboot that ain't a reboot".

[​IMG]

Over the past two months I spent a lot of time to find the best way to recreate this piece of costuming with a few things. I wanted something that was as close as screen accurate as you can get, but something that was also practical and comfortable to wear. Finding the proper fabric alone was a tedious job. I finally settled with a premium coton-stretch blend, with screen accurate texture and looser weave. That's one of the thing that "bugged" me in most of the masks I've seen so far. The mask on the show has a rough texture, actually like most items on Matt's wardrobe, and yet most people seem to settle with generic black fabrics (sometimes even with a bit of shine). I didn't want something that looked like a t-shirt or a pair of leggings quickly wrapped around my head but like an actual piece of costuming. The fabric I bought was pricey but I think well worth the price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having no sewing skills myself I asked for assistance a friend of mine, with more than 20 years of experience and who currently works in the costume department of Paris Opera house. She spent a lot of time developing a screen accurate pattern, incorporating and securing in her build a pvc mask covered in black felt (so it remains entirely invisible under the fabric even under extreme lighting), ensuring that you will be able to see comfortably through the mask without your eyes showing through the fabric. The result is a very accurate mask that is also pretty comfortable to wear. You can see fairly well through it while your eyes remain hidden by several layers of cotton mesh. It's very easy to put on and off even without any help and it looks amazing. The finishing is perfect and ensures that the mask will also be durable. The fabric won't fray at the edges even if you rough it up a bit.

[​IMG]

As I have bought more fabric than I needed for my own mask and while my friend is still willing to make a few more, I thought about offering these up. For the moment I only have enough fabric for 3 masks (I'm keeping the one she already made) so it's going to be a very limited first run. If more people are interested I can try to source more fabric but with no guarantee at that moment that I will be able to find more of the same( and I'm not sure that my friend will be willing to make more). So that's 3 spots available at the moment on a first paid first served basis. Please allow us around two weeks to complete and ship your order.
    Updates 07/2015: More of the same fabric has been sourced (I bought all the fabric they had left). We are currently taking orders for a 3rd and likely final summer run.
    Updates 2 07/2015: Final summer run is full.

Price is going to be $70 + shipping depending on location and options. Price includes paypal fees. At the moment I will collect payments for the mask only. Once your order is ready to ship I will then contact you and collect payments for shipping.
    Worldwide priority shipping (4/5 days to the US) currently rates at 23.61 euros with tracking and insurance. There's a slightly cheaper option (17 euros) but untracked, uninsured and that takes slightly longer, and is definitely less safe. Shipping within the european union is a little cheaper. The good news is that I can fit up to 3 masks in the same box for the same shipping price (23.61€).

First Run (DONE):
    1- Westies14 (X2) PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 06-24/RECEIVED
    3- extreme_too2 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 06-26/RECEIVED

Second Run (DONE):
    1- Max Jenius (X2) PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-13/RECEIVED
    3- JKRIB PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-13/RECEIVED
    4- IndridColdx PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-13/RECEIVED

FINAL Summer Run (DONE):
    1- IronAmerica5150 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
    2- RockBottom PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
    3- taysilva19 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
    4- jrenemtz321 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
    5- aquaman1007 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-27/RECEIVED
    6-Magnus Darcrider PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-27/RECEIVED

Please post in the thread if you are interested. If you have any question that I have not answered yet, feel free to ask.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask

I'd love at least one; I'd happily buy two. Paypal is ready - nice work!

3. extreme_too2

extreme_too2 Well-Known Member

Is the material stretchy enough to accommodate different sized heads? I've got a bit of a melon on me.

4. JKKS

It is, I have a 24" head myself and wear it without it being too tight.
    The mannequin head I used to display the mask to take the pictures is 22.5" and it looks very good on it as well.
    I didn't even had to untie it. I just took it off my head and put it on the mannequin head.

I'd guess that up to a 25" head, the way my seamstress currently ties them should be fine. If it is either too loose or too tight you could always untie it and then retie it directly onto your head for a custom fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot. ;)
    If that's OK with you, I will put you down for one at the moment.
    If there isn't any further interest I will put you down for two. Either way I will start searching for more fabric over the week end or early next week and will let you know.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  5. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

That's completely fine by me - I was mostly hoping you'd consider extending the run! I'm sure you'll find three customers.

6. extreme_too2

Cool. I'll take one.

7. JKKS

On the list. Thanks.

8. extreme_too2

I'm really hyped about the PVC face mask being secured. Is there any way you could post some pics, please?

9. JKKS

I could post extra pictures tomorrow but it's going to be tricky to show how the mask is secured.
    The construction of the entire thing is really much more complex than it seems.
    But I'll do my best. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

If no one claims it before I wake up tomorrow the last post on the run goes to Westies14
    I'll send out pms tomorrow with payment details.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  10. JKKS

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run closed - Taking names for 2nd run

Ok, Last spot in the first run went to Westies14 as promised.
    I sent out pms to you guys a few minutes ago.

First run is CLOSED.
    I'm still taking names for an hypothetical second run.
    I spoke to my seamstress this morning and we'd like at least another 5 people interested to make it worth her while.
    That is all assuming I can still get my hands on the same fabric. So if you are interested, speak up.

11. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run closed - Taking names for 2nd run

Thanks! Payment sent.

12. JKKS

Got it. Thanks. ;)

As requested I tried to take a few pics showing how the pvc mask is secured. It's tricky. I showed the inside of the mask but as my seamstress explained the fabric is actually sewn around the eyed and the outer side of the pvc mask so its more comfortable to wear and doesn't hurt your eyes.

[​IMG]

I also took a second picture to show something that doesn't show up on the first pictures I posted. Here ou can see that you have the same thickness at the base of the mask as the screen used ones.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. extreme_too2

Payment sent. Thanks!

14. JKKS

A little bump for more interest ... or not.

15. JKKS

Bumpty bump.

16. Max Jenius

Max Jenius Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I will take one.

17. JKKS

Cool. You are on the list.

18. JKKS

Bump for the day. Would be great to get at least a couple more guys on the second run.

19. JKKS

Bump.
    The first run masks are going to be shipped in a week or so.
    As for the second run I will start asking for payments in about two weeks.

So if you are interested sign up. I highly doubt you will find anywhere else a mask with a similar construction and such an amazing attention to details.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  20. JKRIB

JKRIB Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How about a 21.5 inch head? If it can be made to fit that, I'd be down for one

21. JKKS

You'd just have to tie it a little tighter onto your head if you need to. I don't think that's a problem.
    I've tested the mask I have on my little brother (he has a 22" head) and the fit is great as well. The material really has a lot of stretch and the mask is built to be fully adjustable.
    Let me know if that's OK with you.

22. JKRIB

JKRIB Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah put me down then, if it's just a matter of tightening

23. JKKS

Absolutely. But like I said there is enough stretch in the fabric to accommodate most head sizes anyways.
    I'll put you down for one. Thanks.

24. JKKS

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run in production- 3 spots left in 2nd

Week end bump.

25. IndridColdx

IndridColdx Active Member

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run in production- 3 spots left in 2nd

When is the second run starting?
    And how long do you think it takes you to build one?
    Im interested! Sorry if this is already answered I just skimmed through and I'm busy at work

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  26. JKKS

No worries. I should have the first run masks in hand at the end of next week and will ship them next Friday (the 26th).
    I will probably start asking for payments the following Monday as I'll be busy over the week end.
    2nd run production should then take about two weeks (expect them to ship mid-july).

I'll put you down for one. Just in case you need it sooner pm me and I'll see what I can do.

27. JKKS

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run READY TO SHIP- 2 spots left in 2nd

Moving ahead of schedule, the first run is ready to ship.
    Westies14 and extreme_too2 I have sent out pms regarding shipping.

I will know for sure if we can move on with the 2nd run on Wednesday. I'll keep you guys posted.

28. IndridColdx

Awesome, put me down

29. JKKS

I did. I talked to my seamstress friend today after she finished all three first run masks. Based on her schedule, turnaround time is closer to 10 than 15 days.

30. JKKS

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run READY TO SHIP- 2 spots left in 2nd

Little bump and final call for the 2nd run.
    I will go shopping for more fabric on Wednesday and I will only buy enough to make the masks that have been ordered.
    Last time I went their they only had a few meters left and given that my friend is doing all this as a favor to me I can't say if there is going to be a 3rd run at all so if you want one let me know before wednesday.

31. Max Jenius

Max Jenius Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run READY TO SHIP- 2nd run LAST CALL

I'll take another

32. JKKS

Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run READY TO SHIP- 2nd run LAST CALL

Great. I will put you down for another one.
    Anyone else ? Last chance to get in on the July run (I'm closing the run tonight).

33. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

I might be down for another if the second run happens and doesn't fill up - let me know how it's lookin!

34. JKKS

Will do. In that case do you want me to hold your first two masks to save on shipping as I think I can ship all three for the same price or is it going to be a separate order ?
    extreme_too2 I' still waiting for your shipping instructions. I picked up all three masks this morning and they will be ready to ship tomorrow. Let me know what you want me to do. Thanks.

35. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Hi JKKS,

Please send the first two as planned; I'd love to assemble those suits soon! Thanks,

D

36. JKKS

Sure. They will go out in the mail tomorrow. ;)

37. JKKS

Re: Netflix/Marvel Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run READY TO SHIP- 2nd run LAST

Westies14 you got a pm with tracking informations.
    Just in case I put you down for another mask on the 2nd run list.

2nd run is now closed. I'll know if we can move on with the run tomorrow afternoon and I'll update the thread accordingly.

38. JKKS

Re: Netflix/Marvel Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run SHIPPING - 2nd run CLOSED

Ok guys, I managed to source 10 more meters of fabric so the 2nd run is definitely a go.
    I'll send out pms with payment details to everyone on the second run list on sunday or next monday.
    extreme_too2 I packed your mask yesterday but couldn't possibly make it to the post office today. I'll create a shipping label for your parcel tonight and it'll go out in the mail tomorrow.

As of now I'm not sure if there is going to be a third run. I bought enough fabric to make an extra 9 masks after the second run but I have no idea wether or not my friend will still be willing to make more once she's done with the next 5. We are also planning to move on to the stick holster fairly soon so I'm not exactly sure if she can find some time for a third round of masks. However I can take names on a waitlist if there are more people interested but they will probably only be available on a per order basis with a longer turnaround time around starting end of July / beginning of August.

39. JKKS

Re: Netflix/Marvel Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 2nd run CLOSED - 3rd run OPEN

extreme_too2 your package has shipped. I sent you a pm with shipping details.

I also sent people on the 2nd run list a pm with payment details. Production of the 2nd run masks will start on monday with a 10 days turnaround time. I plan to have them ready to ship around July 8th.

There is going to be a 3rd run starting mid-July. I have 9 masks up for grabs so sign up if you want in on that run. This is going to be the last round because I bought all the fabric the store had left and I couldn't source more of it elsewhere.

40. JKKS

Bump for 3rd run.

41. IronAmerica5150

IronAmerica5150 Member

I would like to be put down for one in the 3rd run. What would the shipping cost be?

42. JKKS

Great, I'll put you down.

In the US, 23.61 euros with priority shipping (4-5 days) tracked and insured in a box. I can also send it with regular mail (7-10 days), flat (you would have to tie it yourself) in a envelop for 17 euros without tracking and insurance.

43. rockbottom

rockbottom Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ill be in on the 3rd run.

44. JKKS

Cool. You are on the list. Thanks.

45. JKKS

Guys,

We may have a slight delay on the 2nd run. The PVC masks were backordered when I placed my order last week and my friend still haven't received them. I've been in contact with my supplier and they will ship tomorrow and she should have them in hands on Saturday. So expect your masks to be ready to ship at the end of next week instead.

46. IndridColdx

Fine with me!

47. taysilva19

taysilva19 New Member

Put me down for the 3rd run! Will you PM me when it's getting close to our turn?

48. JKKS

You are on the list. I'll pm everyone as soon as the 2nd run has shipped.

49. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

I had to go pick mine up from the Post Office because I wasn't here to sign when they arrived last week. Anyway, we finally got to check 'em out yesterday, and they're AWESOME. What a terrific, thoughtful recreation of a deceptively complicated piece...

JKKS likes this.
  50. JKKS

I seriously couldn't be more pleased by your reaction. I'll pass the compliments along to my friend (even if I had some input in designing the mask and picking the fabric). Would be great if you could leave feedback as well.

Also, do you still want a third one because I saved you a spot on the 2nd run ? If you do not, no problem just let me know.

Thanks again for the kind words. Means the world.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015