Done / Completed Netflix/Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 3rd Run DONE

JKKS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ever since Marvel's Daredevil aired on Netflix back in April I, along with a sizable number of other enthusiasts on these board, decided to tackle the Man Without Fear's black suit. Most of it is made of "off the shelves" item, some you can easily find and some you unfortunately can't (and have to settle with close enough options).
The most iconic piece of his gear as "The Man In The Black Suit" is of course his mask which is an impressive piece of design, very effective to conceal his identity and also a great way to remind audiences that the character is actually blind. And that design was so well received that the character will get a weirdly similar outfit in Marvel's All-New All-Different "reboot that ain't a reboot".

P1020214.JPG

Over the past two months I spent a lot of time to find the best way to recreate this piece of costuming with a few things. I wanted something that was as close as screen accurate as you can get, but something that was also practical and comfortable to wear. Finding the proper fabric alone was a tedious job. I finally settled with a premium coton-stretch blend, with screen accurate texture and looser weave. That's one of the thing that "bugged" me in most of the masks I've seen so far. The mask on the show has a rough texture, actually like most items on Matt's wardrobe, and yet most people seem to settle with generic black fabrics (sometimes even with a bit of shine). I didn't want something that looked like a t-shirt or a pair of leggings quickly wrapped around my head but like an actual piece of costuming. The fabric I bought was pricey but I think well worth the price.

P1020221.JPG

P1020223.JPG

Having no sewing skills myself I asked for assistance a friend of mine, with more than 20 years of experience and who currently works in the costume department of Paris Opera house. She spent a lot of time developing a screen accurate pattern, incorporating and securing in her build a pvc mask covered in black felt (so it remains entirely invisible under the fabric even under extreme lighting), ensuring that you will be able to see comfortably through the mask without your eyes showing through the fabric. The result is a very accurate mask that is also pretty comfortable to wear. You can see fairly well through it while your eyes remain hidden by several layers of cotton mesh. It's very easy to put on and off even without any help and it looks amazing. The finishing is perfect and ensures that the mask will also be durable. The fabric won't fray at the edges even if you rough it up a bit.

P1020215.JPG

As I have bought more fabric than I needed for my own mask and while my friend is still willing to make a few more, I thought about offering these up. For the moment I only have enough fabric for 3 masks (I'm keeping the one she already made) so it's going to be a very limited first run. If more people are interested I can try to source more fabric but with no guarantee at that moment that I will be able to find more of the same( and I'm not sure that my friend will be willing to make more). So that's 3 spots available at the moment on a first paid first served basis. Please allow us around two weeks to complete and ship your order.
Updates 07/2015: More of the same fabric has been sourced (I bought all the fabric they had left). We are currently taking orders for a 3rd and likely final summer run.
Updates 2 07/2015: Final summer run is full.

Price is going to be $70 + shipping depending on location and options. Price includes paypal fees. At the moment I will collect payments for the mask only. Once your order is ready to ship I will then contact you and collect payments for shipping.
Worldwide priority shipping (4/5 days to the US) currently rates at 23.61 euros with tracking and insurance. There's a slightly cheaper option (17 euros) but untracked, uninsured and that takes slightly longer, and is definitely less safe. Shipping within the european union is a little cheaper. The good news is that I can fit up to 3 masks in the same box for the same shipping price (23.61€).

First Run (DONE):
1- Westies14 (X2) PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 06-24/RECEIVED
3- extreme_too2 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 06-26/RECEIVED

Second Run (DONE):
1- Max Jenius (X2) PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-13/RECEIVED
3- JKRIB PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-13/RECEIVED
4- IndridColdx PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-13/RECEIVED

FINAL Summer Run (DONE):
1- IronAmerica5150 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
2- RockBottom PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
3- taysilva19 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
4- jrenemtz321 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-24/RECEIVED
5- aquaman1007 PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-27/RECEIVED
6-Magnus Darcrider PAID/SHIPPING PAID/SHIPPED 07-27/RECEIVED

Please post in the thread if you are interested. If you have any question that I have not answered yet, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask

Is the material stretchy enough to accommodate different sized heads? I've got a bit of a melon on me.

Is the material stretchy enough to accommodate different sized heads? I've got a bit of a melon on me.

It is, I have a 24" head myself and wear it without it being too tight.
The mannequin head I used to display the mask to take the pictures is 22.5" and it looks very good on it as well.
I didn't even had to untie it. I just took it off my head and put it on the mannequin head.

I'd guess that up to a 25" head, the way my seamstress currently ties them should be fine. If it is either too loose or too tight you could always untie it and then retie it directly onto your head for a custom fit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love at least one; I'd happily buy two. Paypal is ready - nice work!

Thanks a lot. ;)
If that's OK with you, I will put you down for one at the moment.
If there isn't any further interest I will put you down for two. Either way I will start searching for more fabric over the week end or early next week and will let you know.

Last edited:

That's completely fine by me - I was mostly hoping you'd consider extending the run! I'm sure you'll find three customers.

I'm really hyped about the PVC face mask being secured. Is there any way you could post some pics, please?

I'm really hyped about the PVC face mask being secured. Is there any way you could post some pics, please?

I could post extra pictures tomorrow but it's going to be tricky to show how the mask is secured.
The construction of the entire thing is really much more complex than it seems.
But I'll do my best. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

If no one claims it before I wake up tomorrow the last post on the run goes to Westies14
I'll send out pms tomorrow with payment details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run closed - Taking names for 2nd run

Ok, Last spot in the first run went to Westies14 as promised.
I sent out pms to you guys a few minutes ago.

First run is CLOSED.
I'm still taking names for an hypothetical second run.
I spoke to my seamstress this morning and we'd like at least another 5 people interested to make it worth her while.
That is all assuming I can still get my hands on the same fabric. So if you are interested, speak up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Marvel's Daredevil "Black Suit" Mask - 1st run closed - Taking names for 2nd run

Got it. Thanks. ;)

As requested I tried to take a few pics showing how the pvc mask is secured. It's tricky. I showed the inside of the mask but as my seamstress explained the fabric is actually sewn around the eyed and the outer side of the pvc mask so its more comfortable to wear and doesn't hurt your eyes.

P1020226.JPG

I also took a second picture to show something that doesn't show up on the first pictures I posted. Here ou can see that you have the same thickness at the base of the mask as the screen used ones.

P1020227.JPG

Attachments

• P1020227.JPG
    P1020227.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 104
  • P1020226.JPG
    P1020226.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 121

A little bump for more interest ... or not.

Bumpty bump.

Bump for the day. Would be great to get at least a couple more guys on the second run.

Bump.
The first run masks are going to be shipped in a week or so.
As for the second run I will start asking for payments in about two weeks.

So if you are interested sign up. I highly doubt you will find anywhere else a mask with a similar construction and such an amazing attention to details.

Last edited:

How about a 21.5 inch head? If it can be made to fit that, I'd be down for one

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back