NeoRutty's Prop Projects - ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Bucket - Pointers requested?

Well it's done, and I'm sad to say it's hilariously awesome to hold.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves (though I don't know if they won't just speak gibberish) but I will point out a few bits I haven't mentioned in thread before.

The 3D Print sleeve that's holding the slaves to the Graflex was designed by roygilsing . I couldn't quite get the print lines or the places that were a bit muddier clean to what I liked, so I sprayed it with a rubber texture. Ended up liking it a lot.

Picked up a Kylo Ren clip from the Kylo saber run in the junkyard then got the back piece from a Disney
Store Kylo Ren saber that a guy sold to me for 5 bucks off craigslist.

I brushed the metal before attaching the tracks and it looks MUCH nicer.

So yeah, finally done!

Edraven99 fear not, I'm heading back soon to do a Rey saber drilling.
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG

THAT LOOKS AMAZING

the rubber was an excellent choice. I'm so happy its together. How did you pop rivet in such a small area?

THAT LOOKS AMAZING

the rubber was an excellent choice. I'm so happy its together. How did you pop rivet in such a small area?

I have a little thing I made that has the head of a rivet, attached to a "nut" that covered the space needed.

I used the head of a rivet, reversed, so that during the "pull" there's no circle indent on the saber rivet that was caused by just using a nut...

Hope that makes sense...
IMG_0202.jpg

You son of a gun. That's brilliant! My dad and I were slicing up rivets today, making the D ring block on the Kurtz saber. A fellow RPFer was kind enough to send us some scratch made styrene ones and I was so inspired to make a metal version.

Now we have another reason to slice up rivets!

also, nice drawing. I've started doing this too and its funny and helpful to see people's scribbles

I have a ton of time right now, so I've been pulling out old prop projects...

The last one I completed was an rgriesbeck Blade Runner "Snub Nose" from a 3D print... I was trying to go for a clean look, no weathering and it took FOREVER. I'm not a painter... and my tools and work space are impractical for really great results....

So when done I wanted something I didn't have to be precious with. I've never really weathered anything more than scuffing up a blaster, so I was looking for project I could try out a few different "techniques"

I also had a bunch of spray cans that were ALMOST empty I wanted to use up...

So the Vader saber casting teecrooz sent me as a house warming gift was the victim.

IMG_1191.jpg

I primered the casting it to get a better look at what needed sanding and filling, and did a pass at that to start. I knew at that point this was perfect for weathering cuz it already looks wonky and rough.

Anyway, I looked up reference and then decided to just do it however, since the saber it was cast from looked pretty junked up. The only limits I had is I wanted it done in a weekend, and only using what I already had... didn't want to spend a bunch of money on paints/hardware...

So this is the end result... I actually quite like it. I didn't take process pics cuz I thought it would look really crappy. And also because I'm a beginner and how I did it is probably not the best way.

IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG

So first attempt and overall happy with it. Thanks again to teecrooz - it was a cool project.

It looks great and I like how you put different finishes on the black paint (IE the grips look darker and glossier than the shroud)!

It looks great and I like how you put different finishes on the black paint (IE the grips look darker and glossier than the shroud)!

Thanks! Yeah the back end and piece behind the shroud are gloss... the tracks and band are a flat black... the shroud and box are flat black with graphite powered...

The actual “tube” in person looks exactly like the silver paint on “canon y” flashes... I know cuz I used the same paint on a new bottom for a canon y -
Here it just looks flat.

Next up is stormtrooper helmet (the reason there are so many paint chips on this saber... I was testing for a weathered bucket.)

So gotta visit Edraven99 and check his out for reference!

Was just trying to get back into some builds/kits, and never feeling like doing any of them, when I got invited to a “paint a baby yoda” party at work...

So I’m posting the result cuz, for one, I haven’t had any kind of project to post in a while... and two, I’m actually kind of shocked this turned out at all... I’m not great at painting figures.... but I actually like this!

image.jpg

then I did a brass one for kicks...

022D2CA7-365B-4B3D-9A56-0076D6A6D8BD.jpeg

but if there’s a lesson to be learned...

If you are in a rut, sometimes even a tiny project can prime the pump again.... cuz now I’m back in “now what can I work on!?!?” mode.

was fun.

Also... dunno who did this one... but :oops:

25995BCF-E87F-4E25-B2F2-B854AE5FE18E.jpeg

4 years in the making!

So when I was turning 40, my ex had an idea of a theme party "The Forty Awakens"...

All our friends were coming so thought it would be cool to have a helmet they can doodle and write all over. At the time there was the no black series helmet so I put a call out if anyone had a cheapo helmet (didn't have to be accurate). I got contacted by a member (not sure who anymore) who hooked me up with a b-grade pull... I THINK I paid $80 for it...

Well anyway, my ex ended up hating me for some reason by that party. It was miserable. didn't do anything in the end and the helmet sat in my closet.

I pulled it out a couple of years ago and started on it again, but this time to make an actual helmet.

As I started reading up, I really wanted to do a hero, but I knew my current kit had very soft details... and I wasn't sure I wanted to waste a "Hero" on it... instead, I would make a stunt... but not just a stunt... I wanted it to look like the stunts look NOW...

IMG_2588.jpg

So after talking to a BUNCH of people including Edraven99 (for his RS prop reference) scottjua a guy on Facebook called "Troopermaster" and some others I don't remember.... I did up a stunt inspired by this one:

IMG_2591.JPG

I wanted to go for this look because it gives me a lot of room to screw up. And screw up I DID!

I never paint.. (as I'm always saying as I'm always painting)... so I need a lot of trial and error to see how things work... for example, no matter how careful I am with stencils, the paint ALWAYS gets through. I need to watch more tutorials.

IMG_2646.jpg

Anyways.... this is where it's at now....

IMG_2825.jpg
IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

'Sup?

So I need to dirty it up more, so thinking of doing washes... or I dunno... suggestions?! I need to rough it up, but don't wanna go so far I ruin it...

So if anyone has any ideas or has aged a "stunt", lemme know!

It'd be appreciated...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back