needed...USCM Armor pep files

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Rikarus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member

Heard a rumor once upon a time that were some decent USCM pep files, are there and if so would someone be kidn enough to share them with me?

Thanks very much! :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Rikarus

Scratch this one...I think I found em over at the Alien Legacy.

3. Allfate

Allfate Active Member

Let me know if you don't find the good ones... I went on a long quest once to find the good ones and finally emailed a fellow RPF member and he was nice enough to send them to me. Everyplace I found either the bad ones (nintendodude set) or no links. I still have the files if you end up needing them ;)

4. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

i have the hi res, low res and foam templates for the uscm armor

5. Rikarus

yeah original was a bust, if one of you would be willing to share I would love to have them!

Thanks very VERY much!

6. Fredator

Fredator New Member

i'd also love to get my hands on these if at all possible! working on USCM armour at the mo and just cut out templates for a barrel build but its going to look terrible.. and then i found this PEP thread! oh.. this will be my first pep build..

hi res and foam please! then i can bin these awful cardboard cut-outs!

7. Fredator

Fredator New Member

What chance do we think I have of getting this done before a party on the 24th when I have a max of around an hour a day free to do this? Who knew babies took up so much time?

8. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

im tryig to find my site. i seem to have lost it.

9. Fredator

Fredator New Member

Thanks for looking - much appreciated.

For a foam build would foam camping mats work do you think? Cut out, heated and moulded with a heat gun, hot glued together and then if I overlay with some woven fibreglass sheeting and put resin on it? This is my first time so I may need some help! I'm in England so I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on the usual brands I see mentioned - bondo etc..

10. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

11. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

@fred. i used the best step 4x8 1/4 thick mat. it worked great. mine was double layered to get the detail. it survived a 6-7 hour day of painball flawlessly! ill have to see where i put the foam templates.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

ah! i found my files for foam templates.
    attached below

Attached Files:

• foam.zip
      File size:
      836.2 KB
      Views:
    Bangalore likes this.
  13. Fredator

Fredator New Member

Wow! A treasure trove of templates! This is brilliant - thankyou so much! So was that picture of the foam or hi Res?

14. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

It's going to be a curse that I have discovered I want to start peping things. :lol

15. Fredator

Fredator New Member

ooooh judge dredd armour to go with the helmet i already have! i was wondering how the hell i might try building these from scratch :)

16. Fredator

Fredator New Member

so this is made from two layers of foam? and then i assume once all the bits are cut out you glue it and.. is it fibreglassed at all?
    i think i may have just decided to do something i have no idea how to do..
    i don't suppose that now i have the foam files (thanks again btw) there is any chance on a step by step guide on doing what you have pictured here is there? :confused

17. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

that is the foam in 2 layers using the attached file. which was made from the hi res files. i really didnt like the low res ones much.
    the foam files are the ones i attached ont the post above.
    all that i can say for making it is measure to your chest width and add 20mm. that will make it tight, but you can adjust that when gluing the straps.
    you can see hoe the front is 8 pieces. just draw the templates on the 1/4 foam. not 1/2 inch. so that it makes 1 section for each. hot glue on low temp. edges were cut on a 45 on one side to get the angles for the front. cut out any of the indented pieces and make larger ones to glue in behind the holes. i just did the templates over again and used contact cement. this was a 1 week rush job for a paintball game. so if you want it more movie like, you will have to do a bit more work to the final product.
    you should be able to make this out of
    3/4 of 4x8ft roll of best step foam floor mat
    4 ft of 2" nylon strap
    4 ft of 1" nylon strap
    3x 1" plastic clips
    4x 2" plastic clips
    1x contact cement
    10x 12x1/2 hot glue

let me know if you need any extra info.

18. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Where do you get the 1/4" thick foam mat? All I can find is the 1/2" thick stuff.

19. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

the mat comes in a roll. im in canada. but i have seen it at walmart near the auto section.
    link --> floor mat Product #68-1396-2 on canadiantire.ca if the link doesnt work. its easy to spot. here its anywhere from $12-24 a roll

20. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome pep file stash! Thanks for throwing that up. My pulse rifle has been a little lonely. Maybe it finally needs some armor to keep it company. Thanks for the inspiration to start yet another project!

21. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Grave - Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find a source. I went looking at Walmarts around me and they all have really small automotive departments and all of their floor mats were carpeted ones. I'll go look at a different one and see if I have more luck there.

If you ever are looking for the 1/2" thicker stuff, check Lowes.

22. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

@msleeper - the rolls of 1/4 should be right beside the 1/2 packs if they have them. i cant ask anyone right now cause my facebook is down. ill see what i can find out for other places in the usa

23. Fredator

Fredator New Member

24. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

looks like that is almost 1/4". i think if you look for more best step on amazon it should come up.

25. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

I'm going to the hardware store again tonight, I'll do some more searching. So far I can't find any store locally that has both the 1/2" and the 1/4". Lowes has the large 2'x2' interlocking 1/2" thick mats but I didn't see anything else. I'll report back if I find anything.

26. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

if your using the 1/2 inch, your going to have to use a heat gun. its not flexible enough

27. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Yeah I saw that technique used a few places already (Volpin's EVA Mass Effect 2 costume, the Backyard FX video on EVA armor, so on).

28. Fredator

Fredator New Member

Grave - this is all great stuff! But I completely forgot to ask - are the hires and foam peps printed at this size? Or do they need to be scaled up at all do you know? I saw somewhere someone advising scaling the helmet down, so before I print it all out and start cutting I thought it best to ask!
    Is it ok to put in a4 into the printer and just choose plain old 'print' or should I choose a different print size?

29. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

you will have to size it. i know that the foam one was sized to me. what i did to get the fit right, work from the back plate first. measure from arm pit to arm pit and add 4x the thickness of the foam. so either 1 inch for 1/4 foam or 2 inch for 1/2 foam. then you should be able to use the scale % to adjust the chest and shoulders.
    NOTE: when you scale it. dont use the auto reorganize on the parts. just move them manually and rotate them to fit. dont use the pep viewer. it doesnt do it right for some reason.
    about the a4, i dont know. its on standard north american. switch it in the print settings if you want. just make sure that it fits with a print preview.

30. Rikarus

Grave you are the man! Thanks for putting those up!

31. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

Always glad to help.

32. Fredator

Fredator New Member

Grave - I don't suppose your armour is still around is it? Having printed and connected the breastplate files I'm finding that its pretty small, and with time running out before the party this is for I was hoping there might be a less time consuming approach.. I know its a bit cheeky but if your gear is still in one piece I don't suppose you could just measure the edges of each of the breastplate segments and then post the dimensions? The back sections as well if you could? I could then do a quick cardboard build to check sizing - adjust and then move on to foam sections for hot gluing.. Once I have more time I can work on proper resizing and do it in fibreglass like I planned initially. I think I was a bit too optimistic!
    I'm dead on six foot tall so if you are not much far off that yourself I shouldn't have to make too many alterations!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  33. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

you need to work from the back first. the front has the shoulders, which makes the size smaller. size the back and make it first. if it fits, use the scale to size the front. not the dimensions.
    if you sized the front first it could be 6" out of size.

34. Fredator

Fredator New Member

I have developed a cunning plan.. I bought a German kevlar stab vest a while back for my previous attempt at colonial marineness and as that fits pretty well and snug and is about the same thickness as the foam. I am going to lay it out on the floor, make a paper template over the top, and then divide it into the template structure. It has clearly defined seams at the sides and shoulders so should do the trick.. Then I can do a sized cardboard build and then foam! If only I didn't have a baby to play with it wouldn't take this long!!

35. Fredator

Fredator New Member

made a template from a waistcoat.. working on the shoulders at the moment!

36. Fredator

Fredator New Member

i'm almost finished - just a few more bits to do and then painting - pictures to come!

37. Fredator

Fredator New Member

all painted now and hanging up to dry - unfortunately there was not enough time to do the helmet neck plates, butt plate, leg armour or abdomen/groin armour, and if i had tried using the pep it would not have been done at all in time for tomorrow night so i ended up using the files as visual templates and mostly worked by eye.. mostly..
    i'll see if i can get some pictures up

38. Fredator

Fredator New Member

39. Rikarus

that looks pretty slick Fred, nice work! Never ceases to amaze me what folks can do with the foam!

40. Fredator

Fredator New Member

Thanks! I do have some rather severe hot glue burns on my little finger though.. Respect the hot glue gun.. Its a good thing I have a high pain threshold! I shan't be doing THAT again! Phew!

41. obiwan kowalski

obiwan kowalski Active Member

THANK YOU! My long search for those pep files is over.

42. Correllian

Correllian New Member

Hi everyone!
    i was looking and following this community for quite a while now, always checking for ideas and so on. i must say, that i am really impressed, what people work out.

after bulding a few helmets i have decided to start building a complete armor. since i am a fan of the uscm since the first time watching aliens, i thought this should be the first armor to be built.
    i started with the less accurate pep files because i couldn't find the HD files. currently i have pepped and fibre glassed most of the parts. the idea was to add the details with body filler. last week i finally found the HD files and in order to reduce the time sitting in a cloud of dust and decided to restart with the HD armor with the cavities and trenches. unfortunately i don't have the back, seems it is missing in the zip-file i've downloaded. and this is the point were i need your help. i hope that anyone has the file and could send it to me or give me a working link. this would be a great help and i would really appreciate it.

43. obiwan kowalski

The back is in the FOAM pep files on page one of this thread. It has everything except the helmet. I know I have seen helmet is in other sets of files.

44. Correllian

Correllian New Member

Thanks, i have the foam templates and actually this is my plan b, modifying the templates by adding flaps and so on. I just thought if anyone had the original pep file it would be a bit easier.
    The helmet is almost complete. I have an old M1 which i used to build a mold and recasted it. The lobster plates and the other attachements need one more round of body filler and then they are ready to be painted.

45. obiwan kowalski

All of the parts are there but you need Pep designer to move them back onto the workspace. There is also the option to show/add the tabs.

46. Bangalore

Bangalore New Member

Thanks. Been looking for these for a couple of hours.