Need some help / suggestions with Psycho prop...

createart79

Hi there!

New here, and thought I would strat by asking if anyone here has any recommendations or insight as to how the original Mrs. Bates prop for the original Psycho was made. I know that a plastic skull was used, past that, I am unsure what the wrinkled material was that covered the face.

I found a thread that has some wonderful pics of the real prop. It seems like whatever it is is slowly starting to let go from the eye sockets. It seems to be a really thin material that was right up against the skull, stretched over it.

I have my skull ready here, and have tried a number of things on a test skull: Clay, which was too thick, and didn't give the right look. Caulk (which I have used before to sculpt a full Creature From The Black Lagoon bodysuit, as well as a full Friday the 13th 7 bodysuit) again was too thick, and quite messy. Latex rubber, which was thin enough, but how to get that wonderful wrinkled / mummified look? I even tried skin (thin goat hide, as used in drum making, or the making of replica shrunken heads). Quite difficult to manipulate.

So I turn to you, and ask if anyone here has any suggestions on any of this. Feel free to contact me with any info. Thanks!!

Attachments

• psycho 1 (4).jpg
    psycho 1 (4).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 350
  • psycho 1 (5).jpg
    psycho 1 (5).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 140
  • psycho.jpg
    psycho.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 315
  • psycho1.jpg
    psycho1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 166
  • psycho2.jpg
    psycho2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 236
  • psycho3.jpg
    psycho3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 243
  • psycho4.jpg
    psycho4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 187
  • psycho5.jpg
    psycho5.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 262
  • psycho6.jpg
    psycho6.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 137
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back