Need info on pepakura Iron Man helmet!

Cepeda97

Hey guys, I've been thinking about building an Iron Man helmet for ages now but I'm completely lost as to where I should begin. I was thinking about taking the Pepakura route as all the materials I need for the build are easy to find in Ireland. My only question is how tough is pepakura Iron Man helmet to do? I'm only 16 and I don't exactly get many hours at work so when I do get paid I want to spend my money wisely, should I give it a shot and spend the money on the materials needed for the Iron Man or do you have any recommendations for easier project to begin with? I'm looking for any information that can help! Please and thank you! :D

depending on the files you're using i wouldn't call IM (depending on mk) the hardest pep project. but it will take a lot of time to get it looking good - true of any project.

just make sure you get all the tools you need before you start. if you don't have them spend your money on them first.

decent grade cardstock, craft knife/exactoknife, steel ruler (for keeping cut lines straight), cutting mat, the ability to print the pages out in the first place, gluegun or superglue (i prefer a gluegun/hot glue but whatevers your preference).

the above should get you to the card version stage.

next will be strengthening so you'll need a decent amount of resin, fibreglass mat kit for the inside, latex gloves and a respirator mask will be a good idea, as well as safety glasses (just in case), pots to mix the resin in, cheap brushes to brush it on with, scissors.

that should get you to the hard shell stage.

next is the filler (or bondo as you'll find it called on here) or p38, razor blade or craft knife to trim any excess off, plastic scrapers to apply it, sandpaper, wet & dry paper, sander (whatever you prefer), a couple of files and mini files are a good idea too to help get into hard to reach places.

paper towels/cloths/paint prep wipes - love these things for getting rid of sanding dust before the next coat of filler or paint.

once all that's done it'll be on to painting. primer, paint, laquer/top coat

might have missed a couple of things but i think i've covered the main areas.. perhaps someone else could fill in any blanks.

plenty of stuff you'll need, but if you do it in sections for the stage you're at you can spread the cost quite well.

hope that helps in some way

depending on the files you're using i wouldn't call IM (depending on mk) the hardest pep project. but it will take a lot of time to get it looking good - true of any project.

just make sure you get all the tools you need before you start. if you don't have them spend your money on them first.

decent grade cardstock, craft knife/exactoknife, steel ruler (for keeping cut lines straight), cutting mat, the ability to print the pages out in the first place, gluegun or superglue (i prefer a gluegun/hot glue but whatevers your preference).

the above should get you to the card version stage.

next will be strengthening so you'll need a decent amount of resin, fibreglass mat kit for the inside, latex gloves and a respirator mask will be a good idea, as well as safety glasses (just in case), pots to mix the resin in, cheap brushes to brush it on with, scissors.

that should get you to the hard shell stage.

next is the filler (or bondo as you'll find it called on here) or p38, razor blade or craft knife to trim any excess off, plastic scrapers to apply it, sandpaper, wet & dry paper, sander (whatever you prefer), a couple of files and mini files are a good idea too to help get into hard to reach places.

paper towels/cloths/paint prep wipes - love these things for getting rid of sanding dust before the next coat of filler or paint.

once all that's done it'll be on to painting. primer, paint, laquer/top coat

might have missed a couple of things but i think i've covered the main areas.. perhaps someone else could fill in any blanks.

plenty of stuff you'll need, but if you do it in sections for the stage you're at you can spread the cost quite well.

hope that helps in some way

Thanks a lot man! You answered all the major questions I had, much appreciated!

my helmet was my first pepakura project and i had it in the fiberglass stage 5 days after i started .....its not the easiest thing to build but it is rewarding ....i found a small hobby plier set really helps with clean folds

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back