Need help with a prop for a student film, don't have a lot of time! Please help!

arivin923

Okay, so I am doing costumes and props for a student film at my school, a cop drama set in a world inhabited by clowns, and I need help with one of the props- a juggling pin that flips open to reveal a knife hidden inside. I thought I had a lot more time, but they just changed up the shooting schedule and now I need it for tomorrow night.

My original plan won't work as the drying time requires takes 24 hours, and I would have to go buy it tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas? I was planning to connect the two halves with rare earth magnets (which I already have), so I'd like to utilize those, but I need to figure out a way to fill the two halves of the juggling pin, as I have to take out the dowel to make room for the knife.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Spray insulation foam would fill the two halves and still be light enough to be practical. Carving out the foam to accept the knife would also be easy. Magnets would glue right in too. Not the most elegant maybe, but quick and simple!

I have the juggling pin, I have the knife (a kitchen knife that I dulled down) and I have the magnets. I just need to figure out a way to rig it up. It's hollow on the inside, with a wooden dowel running through it. I figure I'm going to have to lose the dowel, and fill it with something. But I'm not sure what, as it needs to be light enough for the magnets to hold it, and it needs to be able to dry in at most 6 hours.

Also, the two halves don't have to stay connected after the reveal. I was picturing it almost like a sword cane, if that helps.

I would also add that expanding insulating foam is the most expedient solution as a filler (available at Home Depot etc). Curing time can be very quick--within minutes.

If you're going to use rare earth magnets use one magnet on one side of the pin then use a piece of metal to attract the magnet buried underneath the foam for the other. Rare earth magnets are STRONG, as I'm sure you know, and if you use one magnet on each side you'll never be able to open the pin without ripping one or both of the magnets out.

They're not really rare earth magnets, as I couldn't find this, they're just some pretty strong ones I picked up at a local art store.

Expanding Foam Great Stuff Dry time is: 15 minutes till tack free, 8 hours to cure.

I'd get over to a Super Wal-Mart so you can have some breathing room just in case something else goes wrong. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back