Need help making a mannequin for lifesize display

Toni Plutonij

I'm looking for some advices, tutorials, guidance, anything that would help me (and possibly others who want to do something similar, but never asked) make a poseable mannequin.

I have a bust and would like to make it a fullsize piece. I've seen many members here that have lifesize figures in their collections, and I'm sure some of them are actually custom built, and not modified mannequins one could buy.

I have considered getting a dress up mannequin and simply cut the top/head, but it's too pricey and inconvenient seeing how I'd have to modify it quite a bit to get it in the pose I'd like, and in the end, it might get ruined, so it would be like throwing money away.

I'm sure we have members here who could share some photos of their bare (undressed) figures/mannequin structures, and maybe post some links to tutorials or give few advices on what would be the cheapest and most efficient way to do this!

Thanks a lot ;)

really easy way is to build one out of PVC pipe connecting the joints with PVC elbows, build up the torso with pillows and duct tape. Add muscles and mass with padding even newpaper wadded up and wrapped in duct tape as well. All you will need to buy is hand or you can make them too if your going to cover them with gloves.

really easy way is to build one out of PVC pipe connecting the joints with PVC elbows, build up the torso with pillows and duct tape. Add muscles and mass with padding even newpaper wadded up and wrapped in duct tape as well. All you will need to buy is hand or you can make them too if your going to cover them with gloves.

Thanks a lot for quick reply :D

Yeah, I was thinking about something along these lines. Would love to see some pictures tho, as a reference, I believe it would make things easier.

I thought about main structure, maybe build it out of wood, PVC pipes would make it easier I guess.

About hands, yeah they'll be gloved so no need to get them from somewhere, they would need to be made out of wire I guess (as they'll need to hold a gun)

PVC and some work will yield some nice results but $ for $ a bendy mannequin on Craigslist might be a better choice if you can find one locally...

Thanks guys a bunch, just keep the links (and pictures if anybody has, form personal collection) coming!

I'll be sure to check all the options before I start getting the material, and building it.

PVC and some work will yield some nice results but $ for $ a bendy mannequin on Craigslist might be a better choice if you can find one locally...

Well, problem is, I live in Croatia (Europe) and we have nothing, really nothing available locally, only momentarily available mannequin is completely static and costs $250. It's too much money, and again, too much work. I think it would be easier to actually build one.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back