need help finding a light stacking display.

Travis McGee

I'm working on a sci-fi backpack using the faceplate of an old military pack radio. There is a slot made to display the channels and frequencies but I'm wanting to use some sort of light bar that stacks lights. Kind of like the blue light used on the proton pack for the ghostbusters costume club.

here is a video of the proton pack and the light I'm referring to.

Are youy referring to the part(s) itself?

Or how to do the animation? (or you want it all on all the time?)

Seems like a simple led bargraph.. or two.. or perhaps a single LONG version:

Are youy referring to the part(s) itself?

Or how to do the animation? (or you want it all on all the time?)

Seems like a simple led bargraph.. or two.. or perhaps a single LONG version:

I'd like both the part and the animation. Thank you for the link to the part.

For the animation.. there are probably MANY ways to do it.. one would be to use an Arduino.

How many leds in your bargraph are you looking to have? Might dictate your path and/or the need for extra parts.

These like that are just used for battery power lever indicators (no microcontroller)

Arduino approach tutorial:

* thought I found a product (bargraph) with a built in MAX7219 chip in it... but the listing looked a little.... janky/suspect.

For the animation.. there are probably MANY ways to do it.. one would be to use an Arduino.

How many leds in your bargraph are you looking to have? Might dictate your path and/or the need for extra parts.

These like that are just used for battery power lever indicators (no microcontroller)

Arduino approach tutorial:

* thought I found a product (bargraph) with a built in MAX7219 chip in it... but the listing looked a little.... janky/suspect.
Thanks. Sadly I don't have an Arduino nor the experience of coding

Coding for this animation is easy enough anyone (including myself) can help with..

And Arduinos are only a few bucks on Ebay (clones)..

I guess it all boils down to/depends on much you want to do/learn and how bad you want it done.

This whole project would include:

* bargraph of choice
* Arduino Nano
* USB cable
* download IDE to PC (this is where you paste the code and upload it to the board)
* soldering iron so you can connect wires to above Arduono Nano and bargraph
* battery pack
* switch?

if you dont want any animation.. look into the battery PLI (power level indicator) version.. probably just takes a battery to connect to it..

Thanks. Sadly I don't have an Arduino nor the experience of coding
I can imagine how this looks from your perspective. It seems like that there are a few tall hurdles on that path. But I strongly recommend you to give it a try. If you like "stuff like that", you will be surprised how just a little Arduino knowledge expands your options. Make an initial investment
of $3.83 and get an Arduino here from Aliexpress (the one with a cable, no case). Get the free software for your computer (the Arduino IDE), connect the Arduino and run the "LED blink" example program (to blink the on-board LED on the Arduino). Within 5 minutes you will have this running. Then, just by looking at the little program, you will understand what it does - and within another 5 minutes you will have made simple modifications (like varying the blink frequency). If you don't like it, you have wasted $3.83. Otherwise, you will be surprised how much help you can get on the web to approach more and more complex projects.

Ditto..

I agree... once you take the small step into this world..

You'll be addicted! It really opens up a whole new set of doors/opportunities for you.

And NOT just in the prop world..

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back