NECA Portal gun p-body snapped arm. :(

mattropolis

Hi guys,

I got one of the NECA licensed Steam Portal p-body guns; but it got dropped on a tabletop :facepalm and two things happened:
1. One of the little arms was broken - clean break
2. The screw in the door of the battery compartment stripped out.

Observation:
These replicas are FRAGILE. Most things should have survived such a small drop - but the arms and battery door on that prop are not robust. Please be careful with yours.
Thankfully, I found a dealer that had literally 1 left, and I went out and bought another for a pristine version. But I still want to fix this one as it is sold out and there was only a limited run of them.

Questions:
The break was clean, and the pieces fit back together perfectly (no missing splinters) but when I tried some superglue - it just didn't seem to want to stick. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
The battery compartment will probably be fixable by just putting a larger gage screw through it; no real fix other than that.
Anyone else broken one of these this easily? Seemed ridiculously easy to break them.

Pics:
img_5715b.jpg

img_5720b.jpg

Plastic Weld aka Mek-Poly should sort that... the stuff that contains Dichloromethane ( Methylene Chloride )

Another suggestion for those who like toys in good condition is REMOVE the batteries if the toy stays on a shelf.

All replicas should be treated as if they would break with the slightest resistance. I don't know if you were swinging this thing around but you'll want to keep it shelved most of the time from the looks of it.

I always score pieces that I'm going to glue together, it creates more surface area and makes for a tighter/more secure bond.

For something like this I'd suggest using an exacto knife. Just put a few random cuts on both pieces where the glue will go but be careful not to go to far to the edges so you don't end up putting scratches on the outside of the piece.

I would first contact the manufacturer to see if you could get a replacement part sent out.

or...

You can drill tiny holes on each side of the arms and use cut off pins to pin the pieces together with a strong glue. You can cut normal small pins and fit a minimum of two to help strengthen the broken joint, then use a CA acrylic glue to hold it together. Finally you could use modelling glue to help fuse the outer plastic skin at the break.

If all else fails, a glob of hot glue always holds, but won't look good.

For the stripped screw, you could find a small anchor and screw at Home Depot and pop the anchor in the body and then pop the screw through the door.

I just got the newest Portal Gun they sell and the switch to change portal colors is loose.
Sometimes it wont come on and if it does come on it dies when I pull the trigger.
My Atlas Portal Gun has no problems at all. Also just tilting the gun a little makes it turn off.
Anyone ever take one of these apart?
It seems to be glued together. No outside screws except the battery tray screw.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back