National Treasure "Charlotte" bell WIP

Re: National Treasure bell. Need eagle photo pls

If you start a intrest list, I'm IN

Thanks. I finished it yesterday and its ready to mold. It came out fantastic. Im just waiting for the letters and a ton of bronze powder. After i make the mold, im going to cast one in white resin to see if anything needs tweaking. Im also going to try different foams to see how they come out. Its going to be quite heavy as a cold cast resin. Some of the new foams on the market can make a hard and durable shell from the pressure while staying lightweight. Ill just have to see what it weighs when done.

As far as offering it to members, it would be my pleasure. But there are just a few things i would want everyone to know. First being that i need to be a member for i think 90 days? I already planned on upgrading to a premium member so that wouldnt be an issue. My biggest thing is for years, prior to joining, I referenced this site hundreds of times to admire other people art. Or to see techniques others used etc. i also read countless stories of people taking members money and not delivering. Making promises of building an item and years going by with nothing. Others just completely disappeared all together. I have done commission work for plenty of people over the years. I may be new to the forum, but not to art, duplication, project runs etc. i understand sometimes people need money to get a project going, but i always felt if an artist has intentions on making something to reproduce and sell, an original should be made without anyones assistance. When you complete it is when you should market it. When you take peoples money and dont deliver is when problems start. They are investors at that point and want a return on their money. As more time goes by the "invested" money is no longer avail (it was used). If they project fails, as i have read has happened, those people get nothing to show for giving the money and wars start. Dont get me wrong, there are countless guys on here who always produce. It may take a while, but they come through. And their work is amazing. These people are exceptions. Im just telling everyone how i operate. And im a new guy. Nobody knows me yet. I dont have "friends" in my profile nor have i had dealing with anyone yet from here. I could easily wait my 90 days, pay for a premium membership and post "looks great" 50 times to other peoples posts. then steal a ton of money. (I have seen that more than once on here). If i ever make aomething that other members want, i make it, mold it, cast it, then offer it. If i have 50 people who would like one and i only had enough resin whatever to make 5, then the first 5 get them. When i re-supply and am able to make another 8, then the next 8 get them. And so on. I would only ask for money then. Not before i even started to make the item. I apologize for auch a long reaponse, but i had to vent after reading another thread of someone who took quite a bit of money and didnt deliver. To all the honest guys out there. Keep it up. Thank you for being honest and keeping us artists reputations in tact.

Just finishing some small areas today and its ready to be molded. I experimented with how i was going to cast this and make it feasible. the issues were making it too heavy, using a ton of resin and being able to get a bronze finish in the resin not painted on. So after a bunch of messy experiments, im going to do a metal (bronze) cold slush cast. After that, fill the rest with a foam. This will make it exactly like a bronze but keep it lightweight. The photo is not the finished bell. It has fillers all over it that need sanding. I was also testing different sized letters.
image.jpeg

Maybe you seen this pic before,but you can see the bell much better, from a overall appearance, tap to enlarge the photo
Now at eye level, or head on you see more of the shape and the flare at the base of the image.jpegbell. Did this help in anyway!

Maybe you seen this pic before,but you can see the bell much better, from a overall appearance, tap to enlarge the photo
Now at eye level, or head on you see more of the shape and the flare at the base of the View attachment 649101bell. Did this help in anyway!

thank you for the photo. I already have that one. I am way past the shape of the bell. Just finishing the "Charlotte " letters and it going to be molded.

I decided to not use 3d printed letters. They almost were too perfect. i wanted them printed to match the letters on the original, but that didnt happen. And it was too hard to try and modify them so i went with the old fashion way. I still have some tweaking to do. I sculpted the eagle and made a mold of it. I plan on pouring it tomorrow and sticking it on. Hopefully i get the Charlotte lettering done tomorrow and make a test mold. Oh yeah, i have a ton of sanding to still do to make sure all the ridges are perfect and symmetrical.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
Just putting on some final touches and sanding. I like the overall shape better now that its sanded. All the ridges were too pronounced before. Just need to add/finish the lower flange of the bell and ill stick on "Charlotte" and the eagle. comments and critique welcome
image.jpeg

I like how it's going. How are you going to display it ?

im going to make an extra copy and put it on a shelf. Then i was thinking about looking into the way they would have tied the rope to it and doing that. Maybe hang it. But then i would have to do something to the bottom. Its flat now

I started thinking last night about the texture of the bell. Being that the Charlotte bell was a few hundred years old, there is no way it would be perfectly smooth. I started to look at photos which led me to a foundry that makes them. I called today and was told that a bell of that age would absolutely have rough marks all over. There were no machines to polish and grind it perfectly smooth. I want my bell to be as accurate as possible. I started adding this mixture to give it "old bell" look. Everything is pretty much done and ready to be molded, but I think I'm going to add this texture to the entire bell first. Ill sand any really high spots only
image.jpeg

Great work, but the letters should be a font with serifs, as seen in the screencap. Now you have a sans serif font, which is not correct (and even didn't exist in the time the bell was made...

Re: National Treasure "Charlotte" bell WIP

Great work, but the letters should be a font with serifs, as seen in the screencap. Now you have a sans serif font, which is not correct (and even didn't exist in the time the bell was made...
Your absolutely right. Those were just for sizing. The letters will match the original as close as possible

- - - Updated - - -

The few pictures we have look fairly smooth. But, some texture should be acceptable.

Did you see the photo from the last post? It has the texture i was talking about. Let me take a few more so you can see better

hmm...I thought you had added more texture than was on the original bell. But maybe that's just because there's no good close up of the original bell top loops.

hmm...I thought you had added more texture than was on the original bell. But maybe that's just because there's no good close up of the original bell top loops.

Here are a few clearer photos. Dont pay attention to the boston lettering or the eagle. They are just for markers. I screwed around with this texture and cold casting. If i hit it with some sanding right before molding, it comes out awesome. Im just sorry i didnt photograph that experiment.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

They talk about two bells being rang don't they? Sorry, my American history isnt the best :')

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Two bells being rung? I appogize if i don't understand

This bell has become one of those projects that every time i get to a point where im happy, i decide to change something. Then that leads to something else etc.

Two bells being rung? I appogize if i don't understand

This bell has become one of those projects that every time i get to a point where im happy, i decide to change something. Then that leads to something else etc.
I'm on about in the film, Nicolas Cage talks about two bells being rang when the British come

I'm on about in the film, Nicolas Cage talks about two bells being rang when the British come

I have to watch the movie again lol. I think you are talking about when paul revere rang the bells to announce the british were coming. If memory serves me, i think that was proven not accurate in history. Ill have to look it up

I don't remember bells, (could be wrong though) Paul Revere used LANTERNS. One if by land, two if by sea. And If I recall right, he hung three lanterns because they came by land AND sea.

This comes up in the Movie at the end when they come up to an apparent dead end and there's a lantern there. And the father tells the bad guy to go to the steeple where the lanterns were hung for the treasure.

I think historicaly at one point, they said he wrang bells and not the lanterns. Then it was lanters and not the bells. Idk. I just know he warned everyone that the british were coming and was on a horse lol. I do remember the part in the movie though.

So i think that once this texture dries and i sand off the high
points, it will look awesome and accurate to a few hundred year old bell. Even more so because it will be bronze

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back