Name of the Wind/Wise Man's Fear

SmilingOtter

Master Member
So -

Anyone else reading Patrick Rothfuss? I picked up the first one after Penny Arcade wrote about it, and could hardly put it down. I got The Wise Man's Fear as soon as it came out, and have just gotten around to reading it. (I could just recently commit the time to it that it deserved.)

So -

Anyone else reading Patrick Rothfuss? I picked up the first one after Penny Arcade wrote about it, and could hardly put it down. I got The Wise Man's Fear as soon as it came out, and have just gotten around to reading it. (I could just recently commit the time to it that it deserved.)

I absolutely LOVE these books! I cannot wait for book 3. I got the first one as a birthday gift shortly after it came out in hardback and have been eagerly awaiting the further adventures of Kvothe!

There was an off topic thread asking for book recommendations a while back. When Firesprite said she loved it, I found it and started reading it too.

Uhm...is this a movie now? Did I miss something?

There was an off topic thread asking for book recommendations a while back. When Firesprite said she loved it, I found it and started reading it too.

Uhm...is this a movie now? Did I miss something?

Wow... That's a high compliment in my eyes! :)

I read em, but I didn't really like them.

It's got that Zapp Brannigan feel to it, where the lead is basically a huge mary sue for the author. I spent 75% of the first book and all of the second book hearing Zapp in my head when I read the stories.

He can write wonderfully, but it's what he writes that is just... meh. Between the severe issues this guy has with women, and the lack of an editor to get him to be a little less verbose, it's not really my cup o tea.

Not as bad as GRRM, or any of the somewhat horrible fantasy I have read in my life, but it's sort of the literary equivalent of cotton candy. It's barely there, it's good, but after a while it's just not that enjoyable anymore.

Still, not gonna knock someone for reading, regardless of what they read. If you like it, awesome and I hope you enjoy the next book that comes out :)

Chris

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back