N.S. Sonic Screwdriver plans (To be made)

lswl

This is a calling for people with a C.T. or a MFX sonic screwdriver, a caliper , a digital camera, and who knows what else.

There aren't any good Eccelson/Tennant sonic screwdriver plans out there like there are for the good old classic Tom Baker, so I was wondering if anybody had a high quality replica out there that had made dimensions or would take dimensions for the prop building community.

So I was wondering if anybody who has a sonic could measure parts of it and take a picture of what they measured so I could make some diagrams/blueprints from all the measurements, and post it back here
P.S. If anyone has made nice plans, post them to save some trouble

I do own a CT ecclestone. Though, correct me if i'm wrong, I think it would be just wrong to give away details/dimensions of his replicas. If you want the dimensions, you might as well buy one from CT.

I understand making the dimensions available would be beneficial to members, though if you are seeking to make the sonic, be prepared to spend! I don't think there is anyone who can trump CT's price without sacrificing quality!

I have to agree... You should pay for someones hard work.

To be honest it would probably be cheaper to buy one an actual Sonic from CT as it would cost you a fortune to make & of course you have the added bonus of sound.

There are plenty of screen caps and photos with parts with known sizes (screws, switches, etc...) to reverse engineer it and get really close. Why not just go that route instead of measuring a current replica (that does not seem right)? It seems like that would be just about as easy.

Do you have a machine shop to make one in???

I'm not looking for 100% accurate plans, if you could give me a nudge in the right direction so to say for the dimensions, that would be great. For the cost, really the hard part would be sound and the crackel coating, but i'm not interested in sound. You could use a plain old lathe, some custom bits, and JB Weld to get a fairly good replica. I'm not trying to make a 100% accurate one, that I have to admit would be hard, but I want one to use and put t.v. remotes in and homemade circuits in. (Maybe turn one into a screwdriver?)

Also for the dimensions of other Sonic Screwdrivers, if I were asking how they were made, how to make the sound chip, or what materials they used, I would yell at myself, but it is just the dimensions. I wouldn't say "hard work" though because those replica sonics were made from the original casts (or so I've heard) although it might have been hard work acquiring them. This, I believe, is free information. Knowing what the sonic screwdriver's proper dimensions are.

If anyone knows how much larger the CO prop was from the original let me know, so I can just measure one and reduce it.

I put some accurate sonic parts models on shapeways.com. You could order some of those parts and then work from them as references.
Dan

Thanks, but I'm kinda cheap, and well I don't like spending money, but thank you for the link, others may find it useful

I got the impression that he meant that he'd rather spend the money on his OWN replica, instead of someone else's.

We'll sit here and talk about every minute little detail of most props. The color of hat the properties master was wearing while making it etc. But there is that certain list of props that people get just plain rude about keeping secrets on. There is only one person making money from this knowledge, and he's been barred from the community. It's ridiculous.

Nope, it's about having respect for the time, hardwork & money that goes into producing an accurate prop, and not having a sense of false entitlement to access that information from others, rather than the originator of the prop.

Not to mention, I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who has spent high bucks on ANY accurate props just handing out dimensions to somone they don't know from Adam, who admits he's cheap :lol

TBH, it's seen by many as a distant cousin of recasting.

As Phez pointed out, there is plenty of reference out there to reverse engineer from. If you can't be bothered to do that, I guess this isn't really the place for you.

Last edited:
Nope, it's about having respect for the time, hardwork & money that goes into producing an accurate prop, and not having a sense of false entitlement to access that information from others, rather than the originator of the prop.

TBH, it's seen by many as a distant cousin of recasting.

As Phez pointed out, there is plenty of reference out there to reverse engineer from. If you can't be bothered to do that, I guess this isn't really the place for you.

Yeah, well, I PMed him the dimension he asked for. So there. :p

First, I do know him from Adam, not WELL, but better than I know you. And dude was just looking for a starting point, not a full rundown of dimensions and construction methods etc.

My dimensions are the result of a year and a half of solo research. So I feel completely justified in sharing it. For the record, I have never held, or even been in the room with an MFX or CT sonic, so lets not even go there.

Once I complete my personal Sonics, I fully intend to post up my prints too...maybe.

I agree with Birdie on this one. Folks here on the RPF spend contless hours pouring over screen shots, Promo pics, and goodness knows what else. Just coming around and asking "hey, i need your measurements and observations" and "I don't want to spend any cash" just comes off as being lazy. But hey, Ill give you the benefit of the doubt. Here is my contribution:

David Tennant is 6'1".

reference pic

From there with the proper application of maths, you should be able to work out the over all length of the sonic's parts.

*Hint* proportional reasoning i.e. prepare for lots of ratios.

eah, well, I PMed him the dimension he asked for. So there. :p

First, I do know him from Adam, not WELL, but better than I know you. And dude was just looking for a starting point, not a full rundown of dimensions and construction methods etc.

My dimensions are the result of a year and a half of solo research. So I feel completely justified in sharing it. For the record, I have never held, or even been in the room with an MFX or CT sonic, so lets not even go there.

Once I complete my personal Sonics, I fully intend to post up my prints too...maybe.

That's entireley up to you, my friend.

It's seems you've come in here with a lot of strong opinions about everything, and not much care for the way things are done around around here or the courtesy that most of us have come to show each other when working on props, the do's and don'ts of the RPF, that like any community have developed over many years of getting to know and get on with each other.

Running around accusing folk of being secretive and shouting your mouth off when you've been here such a short time...well all I can really say is good luck in the future dude, we've seen folk like you come and go for years.

Good luck with the 'tude, kid, I sureley won't be engaging with you again, keep shouting the odds and keep blastin' out that false entitlement!

Byee :rolleyes

That's entireley up to you, my friend.

It's seems you've come in here with a lot of strong opinions about everything, and not much care for the way things are done around around here or the courtesy that most of us have come to show each other when working on props, the do's and don'ts of the RPF, that like any community have developed over many years of getting to know and get on with each other.

Running around accusing folk of being secretive and shouting your mouth off when you've been here such a short time...well all I can really say is good luck in the future dude, we've seen folk like you come and go for years.

Good luck with the 'tude, kid, I sureley won't be engaging with you again, nothing I hate more than newbs who think they know it all, shout the odds and keep blastin' out that false entitlement!

Byee :rolleyes

Where do you get off? First, if nearly a year and a half of activity makes someone a 'newb' in your eyes, you should reconsider your elitist/private club outlook.

And second, who said I felt entitled? Not I. I said that y'all weren't sharing, and that's true. Then, I make some playful comments with intent to prevent this sort of behavior. But no, 'You've seen my type before'. What type is that exactly? The type who works for what they have, and is generous with it, and has opinions not part of the hive mind?

Sorry to tell you pal, but if ANYBODY asks for help and I have what they need, I make it my business to help them. If that makes me somehow beneath you, then I'm proud to be there.

Your comments were completely uncalled for, and completely unappreciated. Thank you though, for helping me see who I will, and will NOT be interested in conversing with in the future. :thumbsup

If you aren't prepared to spend any money then you don't really deserve the blueprints ro dimensions.
I will spend money for my OWN replica, but i'm not going to spend $20 bucks for one little piece of information that might not be one hundred percent accurate.

I will spend the money that I need to make this, but I'm not going to pay someone to make this for a lot more money than it takes to make. They have said there is no way to make an accurate replica for cheaper than what the CT goes for. That is true and false, yes and no. It would cost less to make one yourself, but for someone to make one, in the time it takes, even paying minimum wage, it would still be pretty expensive. People have to be able to make a profit to live on.

So please prop builders, to be polite STOP SOUNDING LIKE NEWBS!

Listen guys, if I were to ask for the dimensions of a New Series Dalek Eyestock, I would have them in about 5 minutes. I believe that this is the same with the sonic screwdriver, and no one even knows the dimensions. Otherwise, there would be PDFs that you could just download with all the information, and the information would be all over. So I am led to believe by no one saying them or even hinting to them, except for a couple few, that you don't know them. So you guys are really backing yourself into a hole.

Oh I’m a newbs, I got hurt feelings now,
I was intending not to get into this debate, as the return word can be read out of context all so easily.
However I see some points from both sides, A lot of my work is re-engineering. I have very expensive equipment to do just that reverse engineer, as well as re-design engineering, and it can take a lot of hrs to reverse engineer items, that will only be 95% to the real item.
Then you need to do a 3D engineering model of the reverse engineer design and manufacturing drawings to go with the redesign, all this takes hrs and cost wether you do it as a business or for a hobby.
I produce 3D inventor design drawings of my hobbies like sonic prop replicas and if you ask as a member of a forum I would give them to you for free, but if you went to my website you would have to pay, as I know that not every one has deep pockets, nor the equipment that I have.
I like to help those that help me, today you give me something tomorrow I will give something back, but if you just, take. Then I will not give.

Only this week I gave a Mk III sonic Kit to a young lad in England that he and I where a member from another forum, why, because I felt like a good thing to do and it made him happy that he got something that he other wise could not afford it. We have all got the information to build props from one way or other wether it be getting it from a fallow forum member or by hrs in front of the web looking isn’t this way we join a forum to get this information.

Where do you get off? First, if nearly a year and a half of activity makes someone a 'newb' in your eyes, you should reconsider your elitist/private club outlook.

And second, who said I felt entitled? Not I. I said that y'all weren't sharing, and that's true. Then, I make some playful comments with intent to prevent this sort of behavior. But no, 'You've seen my type before'. What type is that exactly? The type who works for what they have, and is generous with it, and has opinions not part of the hive mind?

Sorry to tell you pal, but if ANYBODY asks for help and I have what they need, I make it my business to help them. If that makes me somehow beneath you, then I'm proud to be there.

Your comments were completely uncalled for, and completely unappreciated. Thank you though, for helping me see who I will, and will NOT be interested in conversing with in the future. :thumbsup

*Sigh*

Your 'point of view' in the OT speaks volumes to me, and appear echoed here. I don't like your attitude, there or here, you don't like mine. Enough already.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back