My version of the Star Trek Strange New Worlds- MODIFIED - 3D TECH. version Communicator - now with BLUETOOTH

propmaster2000

Sr Member
I too have been working on a version of the SNW Communicator that I have modified to suit my needs.
It will not be using the video player it was designed for but will instead be truer to the original by having a mechanical Moiré Effect.
Mine will be motorized and start up when the lid is opened and off when closed.
I still have to add the upper transparency to get the actual Moiré Effect and real LEDs.
The appropriate paint will be used as well.

Last edited:
This is a more up to date video.
Printed with my FDM printer in PLA filament.
It seems that the SNW version Communicator had to be designed to be a bit bulky then it needed to be because it needed to house the NANO video player.
If they went with a mechanical moiré (as the original one is) and working LED's it could have been designed smaller.
I don't think a NANO video player will fit in an Original Communicator.
(NOTICE: The Moiré effect is not complete and the motor is not connected in this video).

Last edited:
Still working on some details for the effect......

backlit moire effect.jpg

I found that 3D Tech also has a version of the communicator from SNW.
It is not hollow however, so I have to do some redesign on the internal space to accept the motorized Moiré Effect and real LED's.
This is a before and after image of the internal design change.
Will be using an ARDUINO TINY85 as a micro. control for the LEDs. :)
This will be the ONLY, "3D TECH" version with internal components (geared motor and working, mechanical Moiré effect) and real LED's much like the original one has.
My other one (above) is "in the works" as we speak....WIP.
1660316490004.png

1660316716606.png

Last edited:
Good morning, looking good. I printed Limey Builds version in resin. Seems to have lots of internal room.
Cheer,
Kevin

Good morning, looking good. I printed Limey Builds version in resin. Seems to have lots of internal room.
Cheer,
Kevin
Thanks. I have both as you can see in the above posting.
Both mine are in FDM - PLA filament.
I wanted to see if I could design this particular version to hold the smaller internal gear motor and MOIRE effect transparencies (like in the original communicator has) and real LED's.
I am well on my way with this version as shown above. Love the challenge.
This one is completely different then the other one.......
Thanks however....

Last edited:
1661270848838.png

1661270950238.png

Maybe looking to add BLUETOOTH connectivity to this version as well.
Much like the WAND - TOS version of the communicator has.
14 years ago.....note the flip phone.

Last edited:
Here is another video update of my version of the SNW communicator.
Since I wanted to use this virtually everyday for everyday tasks, I needed to be able to hear it as well.
So I designed and built a small PreAmp so that the output signal from the Blue
Tooth audio isn't loaded down before it goes in to the LM386 power amp. and speaker.
Loud enough to be heard in open air.
I know all the components fit as shown earlier, just working out the final details for the preamp.
Here is the result of my endeavor's:
(sorry about the volume from the Comm.)

Last edited:
Today I worked a little on reducing down the wires between the three boards and getting all the electronic component parts
of the preamp mounted to a single board which sits above the working moiré motor.
I still need to mount the switches and program the TINY85 - ARDUINO circuit for the three LEDs.
This sounds good even in open air and sitting on a table playing music. :)
Here is a video of all the circuits working together.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back