My Thunderbirds Puppet Replicas.

Thunderbirds had me when it was airing on the now defunct TechTV; I'm a sucker for cheese and enormous machines. These are awesomely crafted and look original.

You know, it'd be cool to see a reboot of that show done with puppets, but maybe augment the marionation with some rod puppetry since the rod removal is much easier now. You know, so they don't have to fumble with holding and grabbing objects :p.

Cheers all. Currently making Alan.

oU4bbJk.jpg

I remember watching the show as a kid and wondering how they got the mouth movements to sync up with the audio so well. Come to find out they put solenoids in the heads and ran the audio through it. This was the reason the heads were over sized. Another aspect that made me wonder is the faces of the characters. They all seemed to be familiar looking. I never could determine Who they may have been patterned after.

I I never could determine Who they may have been patterned after.

Not sure about Thunderbirds (apart from Lady Penelope, who looked very similar to Sylvia Anderson), but I believe Captain Scarlet was modelled after Cary Grant and Colonel White was based on Charles Gray...or are was this just an urban myth?

Not sure about Thunderbirds (apart from Lady Penelope, who looked very similar to Sylvia Anderson), but I believe Captain Scarlet was modelled after Cary Grant and Colonel White was based on Charles Gray...or are was this just an urban myth?

I know Francis Mathews ( who voiced Captain Scarlet) was doing his impersonation of Cary Grant for it, not sure about the modelling though.
I spotted a pic of Sean Connery on the wall of the guys making puppets for the first Thunderbirds film. I think he might be the Mike Travers, one of the pilots of Zero-X ?

Last edited:
I want to make a Crazy Harry Muppet and a 4ft Martian tripod sometime in the next few months.
I got my Martian Fighting Machine (mostly) made. 4 foot two inches. :)

KELxF4c.jpg

13376580464_1bc90e3b47_c.jpg

Next up: Making a more accurate TB1 pilot's chair while I collect parts for making Captain Scarlet.

Over the last two weeks I've made a better TB1 chair. Has some original parts - the front grilles are from 1960s Revell Custom Car Parts "Dream Car Bumpers and Grilles", the seatbelts are Brooks cyclists toe clips, and the side levers are column indicator arms.

UjfPpBH.jpg

Ctux2Q0.jpg

Using original parts, I was able to guesstimate some of the dimensions reasonably well.

Gnnyaaargh! Someone pointed out that the third "hydraulic" leg on my TB1 chair should, in fact, be a counterbalance, not a leg! It's been driving me crazy all week, so today I fixed it and made a working counterbalance.

If my house ever suddenly rotates 90°... the chair will fall off the table.

Well what did you expect? :p

xSB47YW.jpg

Sorry. Just had a look at the rules and edited my post.

At my current rate I should have 50 posts by... um... January 2017. Something to look forward to! lol. :D

Look into becoming a premium member and ask Montagar if that post count rule applies to members who have been around for almost two years, too.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back