My TDK Suit Build By Gotham City Fx *Suit has arrived*

CrimsonCoscrafts

Hey Guys,

Merry Xmas and New Year,

I would like to share with you my TDK suit build with Gotham City FX.

Thanks to coofunkcurly (Kevin) he put me in touch with the guys!

As the suit was being prepared and cast I bought some of Kev's Movie accurate under suit mesh. Selman then got his seamstress to build it up to my measurements.

undersuitmesh.jpg

He got the under suit back earlier this week and has been hard at work putting it together.

undersuitmesharmour.jpg

Also here is a shot of the gaunts and is that a batpod I spy in the background? :eek

gauntlets.jpg

and finally here is the cowl

scaled.php

So far its looking great, I have already received Kev's Cape and it looks gorgeous I cannot wait to see it on the suit.

I will keep you all updated with the progress but so far Gotham City FX has been great, friendly and answer any questions I through at them haha (It was allot as well)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Re: My TDK Suit Build By Gotham City Fx

It does look perfect, nice sew job for sure. It was all Kev's work on getting that stuff in he went all out on that. I just helped him store it and cut it all up. lol :)

It does look perfect, nice sew job for sure. It was all Kev's work on getting that stuff in he went all out on that. I just helped him store it and cut it all up. lol :)

Well even still, thanks to the both of you for your hardwork!:thumbsup

I would suggest that being that this is a mesh fabric you may want to add some sort of a harness inside the mesh suit. Due to the fact that once you glue the pieces to the suit and put the suit on there will be a good amount of weight on a mesh suit. The suit may rip over time. Just a suggestion. It is how the movie suit was done and the movie suit was one piece I anyone was wondering.

I would suggest that being that this is a mesh fabric you may want to add some sort of a harness inside the mesh suit. Due to the fact that once you glue the pieces to the suit and put the suit on there will be a good amount of weight on a mesh suit. The suit may rip over time. Just a suggestion. It is how the movie suit was done and the movie suit was one piece I anyone was wondering.

Hey Anakinos, can u explain how u mean harness? Do you have any pictures you would be willing to share?

Since Thad did a copy paste here thought I would do the same as well. :)

"I really doubt this fabric would ever rip under the weight of armor. Do you have any of this mesh? It is very strong, way stronger than the standard Neoprene used for other Bat armor."

BTW I do not believe Brad uses the harness in any of the builds he has done. I could be wrong but I have never seen any mention of it in any of his build threads. I really don't think it would be needed unless you were doing the stunt work etc they did in the movie. Just MO though. ;)

Since Thad did a copy paste here thought I would do the same as well. :)

"I really doubt this fabric would ever rip under the weight of armor. Do you have any of this mesh? It is very strong, way stronger than the standard Neoprene used for other Bat armor."

BTW I do not believe Brad uses the harness in any of the builds he has done. I could be wrong but I have never seen any mention of it in any of his build threads. I really don't think it would be needed unless you were doing the stunt work etc they did in the movie. Just MO though. ;)

Ah. Ha!

Cheers for clearing that up Clint! I was starting to worry there

Looking good so far!!! watching with excitement!!!!!

Glad you are as well dude!

I'm so psyked for it, can't wait to put it on and realise a childhood fantasy of being batman haha! My little nephew will love it when he is a bit older!

Yeah I can get you pics. The only reason why I brought it up is I have one of brads suits and I have carbon fiber all through out and it is significantly heavier than othe tdk suits I have. One across . I can take pics and post them in the next couple of days. Im on my iPhone and it's is hard to upload pics from this.

Does anyone actually have pictures or info of how the original suit was made and put together or any other detailed pictures that might have come from the production? I've always wondered how the originals where done and what material was under the mesh and if it was stitched to the mesh or not, or was it something like under armor and put on before the suit.

Also I've noticed in all the original suit pictures the mesh suit is sewed together in a lot of patches and pieces and not cut clean and simple with fewer larger pieces like this mesh suit or the others I've seen. I'm wondering if the originals were cut in more pieces for more mobility and stretch. I've also seen a few pictures from the recent TDKR filming where the gauntlet wasn't fully attached and you can see the bottom half of a snap on button attached to the elbow sections of the mesh where the gauntlets would rest. I guess the gauntlets would have the other half of the button and snap to the mesh part and would help keep the gauntlets in place. You should add that to this build if you haven't already.

Does anyone actually have pictures or info of how the original suit was made and put together or any other detailed pictures that might have come from the production? I've always wondered how the originals where done and what material was under the mesh and if it was stitched to the mesh or not, or was it something like under armor and put on before the suit.

Also I've noticed in all the original suit pictures the mesh suit is sewed together in a lot of patches and pieces and not cut clean and simple with fewer larger pieces like this mesh suit or the others I've seen. I'm wondering if the originals were cut in more pieces for more mobility and stretch. I've also seen a few pictures from the recent TDKR filming where the gauntlet wasn't fully attached and you can see the bottom half of a snap on button attached to the elbow sections of the mesh where the gauntlets would rest. I guess the gauntlets would have the other half of the button and snap to the mesh part and would help keep the gauntlets in place. You should add that to this build if you haven't already.

There seems to be many conflicting views on how the suit is, I would be interested to see these pictures from TDKR if you have them to hand, I saw Brads suit had patches on the elbows and you can see them on his site! Thats all I noticed but I will have another look!

Yeah I can get you pics. The only reason why I brought it up is I have one of brads suits and I have carbon fiber all through out and it is significantly heavier than othe tdk suits I have. One across . I can take pics and post them in the next couple of days. Im on my iPhone and it's is hard to upload pics from this.

Sure please do, did you have this exact same mesh on your suit? Sure it wouldnt be too taxing to add some harness' in when I get the suit. Im hoping to have some updates today. I may be ok though as my suit doesnt have any of the carbon fiber inserts. I may wish to upgrade these in the future when I can.

Here are a few pics that highlight the patches and the snap on button attached to the mesh for the gauntlets. I cropped a few pics due to the size.

This is from DKR filming showing the snap on button on the mesh
71282c28C.jpg

And here separated and you can also see the the seam of where the mesh is stitched in more pieces
236a198eC.jpg

Here you can see the button from TDK promo shot
tdkpicture585C.jpg

And here are a quick few pics I found showing more seams of where patches of mesh are sewn together
Metmuseum-029C.jpg

DSC00073smC.jpg

dkcscb0060C.jpg

dk0054ew6C.jpg

dk0011dl5C.jpg

chestC.jpg

23069978C.jpg

239d01cC.jpg

Also you can see a different type of fabric that looks stitched to the mesh around the waist maybe for better movement?
1002744pt0C.jpg

030C.jpg

027C.jpg

022C.jpg

If you analyzed the pictures that are out there you will notice the seams and can get an idea how the mesh is stitched together in a lot of pieces. Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting the photos they will help me a lot. I remember reading that the suit was put together this way to help with movement.

No problem, it would be nice if there was some pics or video of behind the scenes making of the original suit so we can all know the process that went into them. It would help build the most accurate suit for Steve's build and others. If anyone got some rare stuff please share with us =)

Last edited:

Wow thanks fabian, these are awesome! Going to save them and study them. Will have to check to see if Selman has any of the mesh left over for these bits. Thankfully my mother is a seamstress so she can help big time, will deco put a popper onto the elbow as well!

Thanks gain bro!

Thanks for posting the photos they will help me a lot. I remember reading that the suit was put together this way to help with movement.

Nice to see a fellow Brit on the board! I was beginning to think I was one off the only ones lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back