My TDK Suit Build By Gotham City Fx *Suit has arrived*

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by CrimsonCoscrafts, Dec 30, 2011.

1. CrimsonCoscrafts

CrimsonCoscrafts Active Member

Hey Guys,

Merry Xmas and New Year,

I would like to share with you my TDK suit build with Gotham City FX.

Thanks to coofunkcurly (Kevin) he put me in touch with the guys!

As the suit was being prepared and cast I bought some of Kev's Movie accurate under suit mesh. Selman then got his seamstress to build it up to my measurements.

[​IMG]

He got the under suit back earlier this week and has been hard at work putting it together.

[​IMG]

Also here is a shot of the gaunts and is that a batpod I spy in the background? :eek

[​IMG]

and finally here is the cowl

[​IMG]

So far its looking great, I have already received Kev's Cape and it looks gorgeous I cannot wait to see it on the suit.

I will keep you all updated with the progress but so far Gotham City FX has been great, friendly and answer any questions I through at them haha (It was allot as well)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Re: My TDK Suit Build By Gotham City Fx

Build is looking great. Good to finally see someone putting our mesh to good use. :)

3. CrimsonCoscrafts

Yeah man, thanks so much for this it looks the nuts!!

4. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

It does look perfect, nice sew job for sure. It was all Kev's work on getting that stuff in he went all out on that. I just helped him store it and cut it all up. lol :)

5. CrimsonCoscrafts

Well even still, thanks to the both of you for your hardwork!:thumbsup

6. Anakinos

Anakinos Well-Known Member

I would suggest that being that this is a mesh fabric you may want to add some sort of a harness inside the mesh suit. Due to the fact that once you glue the pieces to the suit and put the suit on there will be a good amount of weight on a mesh suit. The suit may rip over time. Just a suggestion. It is how the movie suit was done and the movie suit was one piece I anyone was wondering.

7. CrimsonCoscrafts

Hey Anakinos, can u explain how u mean harness? Do you have any pictures you would be willing to share?

8. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Since Thad did a copy paste here thought I would do the same as well. :)

"I really doubt this fabric would ever rip under the weight of armor. Do you have any of this mesh? It is very strong, way stronger than the standard Neoprene used for other Bat armor."

BTW I do not believe Brad uses the harness in any of the builds he has done. I could be wrong but I have never seen any mention of it in any of his build threads. I really don't think it would be needed unless you were doing the stunt work etc they did in the movie. Just MO though. ;)

9. bak9799

bak9799 Well-Known Member

Looking good so far!!! watching with excitement!!!!!

10. CrimsonCoscrafts

Ah. Ha!

Cheers for clearing that up Clint! I was starting to worry there

11. CrimsonCoscrafts

Glad you are as well dude!

I'm so psyked for it, can't wait to put it on and realise a childhood fantasy of being batman haha! My little nephew will love it when he is a bit older!

12. Anakinos

Yeah I can get you pics. The only reason why I brought it up is I have one of brads suits and I have carbon fiber all through out and it is significantly heavier than othe tdk suits I have. One across . I can take pics and post them in the next couple of days. Im on my iPhone and it's is hard to upload pics from this.

13. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

Does anyone actually have pictures or info of how the original suit was made and put together or any other detailed pictures that might have come from the production? I've always wondered how the originals where done and what material was under the mesh and if it was stitched to the mesh or not, or was it something like under armor and put on before the suit.

Also I've noticed in all the original suit pictures the mesh suit is sewed together in a lot of patches and pieces and not cut clean and simple with fewer larger pieces like this mesh suit or the others I've seen. I'm wondering if the originals were cut in more pieces for more mobility and stretch. I've also seen a few pictures from the recent TDKR filming where the gauntlet wasn't fully attached and you can see the bottom half of a snap on button attached to the elbow sections of the mesh where the gauntlets would rest. I guess the gauntlets would have the other half of the button and snap to the mesh part and would help keep the gauntlets in place. You should add that to this build if you haven't already.

14. CrimsonCoscrafts

There seems to be many conflicting views on how the suit is, I would be interested to see these pictures from TDKR if you have them to hand, I saw Brads suit had patches on the elbows and you can see them on his site! Thats all I noticed but I will have another look!

15. CrimsonCoscrafts

Sure please do, did you have this exact same mesh on your suit? Sure it wouldnt be too taxing to add some harness' in when I get the suit. Im hoping to have some updates today. I may be ok though as my suit doesnt have any of the carbon fiber inserts. I may wish to upgrade these in the future when I can.

16. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

Here are a few pics that highlight the patches and the snap on button attached to the mesh for the gauntlets. I cropped a few pics due to the size.

This is from DKR filming showing the snap on button on the mesh
    [​IMG]
    And here separated and you can also see the the seam of where the mesh is stitched in more pieces
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the button from TDK promo shot
    [​IMG]
    And here are a quick few pics I found showing more seams of where patches of mesh are sewn together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also you can see a different type of fabric that looks stitched to the mesh around the waist maybe for better movement?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you analyzed the pictures that are out there you will notice the seams and can get an idea how the mesh is stitched together in a lot of pieces. Hope this helps.

17. VaultUK

VaultUK Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the photos they will help me a lot. I remember reading that the suit was put together this way to help with movement.

18. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

No problem, it would be nice if there was some pics or video of behind the scenes making of the original suit so we can all know the process that went into them. It would help build the most accurate suit for Steve's build and others. If anyone got some rare stuff please share with us =)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  19. CrimsonCoscrafts

Wow thanks fabian, these are awesome! Going to save them and study them. Will have to check to see if Selman has any of the mesh left over for these bits. Thankfully my mother is a seamstress so she can help big time, will deco put a popper onto the elbow as well!

Thanks gain bro!

20. CrimsonCoscrafts

Nice to see a fellow Brit on the board! I was beginning to think I was one off the only ones lol

21. VaultUK

VaultUK Well-Known Member

There are more of us lol, I'm from Birmingham

22. CrimsonCoscrafts

Hey Guys,

Got some updates for you all,

The leg armour has now been glue'd on

[​IMG]

Back armour

[​IMG]

Finally the Chest :D

[​IMG]

The shoulders and bicep armour is being worked on as we speak, I should have a full pic of all the elements over the next day or so possibly sooner!

Selman is doing a great job here and so pleased with the outcome! Looking forward to seeing the final build and having it in my hands now!

23. CrimsonCoscrafts

haha Im still pretty new here so still testing the waters, I used to live in Kiddie but now live in lovely Essex:rolleyes Originally from Gloucestershire :)

24. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

Looks good, will they be adding the strap strings that you see under and around the shoulders? You can see two go under the front of the shoulder that goes around the armpit and connects to the back of the shoulder, then another two from the front of the shoulder to the chest. Not sure how they attach though.
    [​IMG]

25. Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead Active Member

Never noticed those before. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say it's paracord. Interesting photo...

26. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

It must be some type of elastic cord to hold the shoulders down and to be able to move with you. I forgot that my UD Replicas DK jacket has this feature and that's what it does on the jacket. Speaking of which if I remember right David from UD Replicas had an original suit in his possession at one point to base his leather DK suits off on. I wonder if he can help up out with details for accuracy.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  27. Survivalist

Survivalist Member

Awesome!

28. CrimsonCoscrafts

Hey Fabian,

Im not too sure if they will be, maybe this cording is the harness others have been talking about? Could you post any other pics you may have!?

Infact do you have a library of these pics? I can host them on my site for other RPF members who are interested in doing a TDK build?!

29. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

30. CrimsonCoscrafts

Sweet will try and download now! I will create a page separate from my website which all you guys canq browse about at your leisure

31. CrimsonCoscrafts

Hey Guys, just to let you know I have a few final shots of different elements of the suit.

Gloves

[​IMG]

and belt

[​IMG]

Suit should be finished by tonight and ready to ship tomorrow.

Thanks to all at Gotham FX who have put their hard work into it.

Cheers guys looking forward to the arrival.

32. CrimsonCoscrafts

As stated earlier (thanks to Fabian for sending me the images (comicguy)) I have started cataloging the reference material he sent over and put it into a nice easy mini site. You can browse through the images or you can download the set via a download link beneath them.
    So far I have only sorted the Promo shots, but as you will see I am going to sort them into various areas, I.E Chest, arms, back, etc so you can easily go in and find what you want.

I hope people use it and I will put it in my sig :)

here is the link, will update over the next few days

ste
    :thumbsup

TDK SUIT ARCHIVE

33. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

Wow that's awesome Steve. You did that pretty fast, love the look of the site. If anyone has any rare pictures please share so we can have them all in one place to help other builds. This archive for the suit is a great idea.

34. CrimsonCoscrafts

Thanks man, I hope it helps others to find out more with the suit. I know Im going to be studying these pics more to make my own suit as accurate as poss!

As they say, the devil is in the detail and Im terrible for that haha

35. CrimsonCoscrafts

Also I used to be a web designer back in the day so it doesnt take too long for me to set up :) Thank you for the compliment :thumbsup

36. CrimsonCoscrafts

Afternoon!

Just to let you guys know, Torso area is now live on the Archive!

You can reach it by clicking the pic in my sig :)

37. CrimsonCoscrafts

Suit has now been posted, I now eagerly await it's delivery!

Should also be receiving the grapple gun over the next few days and will post pics.

Does anyone know where I may find replica smoke bombs?

38. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

39. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

40. CrimsonCoscrafts

Cheers for the heads up Beserk, but as Finhead said, they are from AC!

Thanks Finhead will do a search now!

41. Anakinos

Hey DIstudios. What is your email address and I will email the pics to you. Is that cool?

42. CrimsonCoscrafts

Yeah man!

Steve at di-studios.co.uk

Would you object to me putting the images up on the tdk suit archive I'm building

43. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

I'd be interested in seeing those pics too if your willing to share.

CrimsonCoscrafts likes this.
  44. Anakinos

Not at all. Just let me know what you are looking for and I will have my wife (prof photog) take pics of it. They will be big files so it will probably be zipped or a couple of emails. Is that cool

45. CrimsonCoscrafts

Anything and everything!

Would love to see your harness' also!

Just any minute details which most would miss!

If file size is massive try zipping up and using yousendit.com or mega upload.com:thumbsup

46. Pandemic

Pandemic Active Member

Gotta ask where did you get those gloves?

47. Anakinos

If he is still selling them you can get screen accurate ones from Dave's site. Ud replicas.

48. aimeekitty

aimeekitty Active Member

this looks SO COOL! I'm curious, what method are they using to make the leg armor pieces?

49. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

All the armor pieces are made from urethane, I would guess a 40 shore.

50. CrimsonCoscrafts

Hey AimeeKitty, sorry not too sure on how its made, most likely a mold and filled with urethane like FinHead mentioned!